Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop to replace Acer Swift 3

• 17-10-2020 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭

Hi there guys, will be in the market for a new laptop over the next few weeks more than likely as my Acer Swift 3 seems to be on the way out. I use my laptop a lot but nothing too strenuous - web browsing, multiple tabs open, streaming, very light gaming (Football Manager) and in the near future may have to add teaching online to that list too! Acer Swift 3 handled all of those things well, it was a 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i5-8250U.

I am looking for something that is at least on a par or a slight upgrade on the Swift 3, I really would not like to shell out and end up with a worse laptop :( Not hugely fussy on screen size, 14 or 15 inch I guess. Budget would probably up to about €800 if I had to but obviously the more I can shave off that the better!

I have seen some threads and lots of recommendations on either the Huawei Matebook or the Honor Magicbook, I like the look of these and the price too but how would they be in comparison with my current laptop? Also a lot of the good deals that have been posted seem to be expired now - what would be considered a good price to pay for these?

If people could even point me in the direction of where is the best place to buy regarding price/deals, in the past I have generally bought things like laptops, phones in the shop but from seeing some older posts it seems like there are much better deals to be had onlline! If anyone has any advice or recommendations it would be hugely appreciated :D

Comments

that's not an old laptop - shouldn't be "on the way out" already?

the newer version magicbook with the newer 6-core amd cpu can be had for £670

https://www.hihonor.com/unitedkingdom/product/honor-magicbook-14?fromCountry=GLOBAL

otherwise the older version (4-core) is £530 at box.co.uk

use parcel motel etc in the case of both options

either will do for your needs (both have better gpus/ graphics than your intel) and the cpu on the newer one is more powerful. older version has about the same cpu power.

the build quality would be a bit better than your Acer I imagine (even though that was metal too I believe)

the only thing to note is that it has an upward facing webcam if that would bother you

an easy fix with a decent autofocus usb webcam if it does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Thanks a million for the reply glasso.

The Swift 3 is about 3 years old. It has a problem with the screen lately, sent it off to two different places to look at it and they think that the whole screen would need to be replaced which could cost around €200. So instead of that I was thinking about putting the money towards a new laptop, but as I said would hate to end up with a worse machine!

Thanks for those links. The honor website is actually running a £70 pound off special at the moment and also giving a gift so could pick up the newer magicbook with a band or headphones for £600 which isn't bad.

Yeah the camera is prob one of those things that you won't know until you try it. Generally I wouldn't give a crap but if I'm having to teach online it might be a pain having an awkward angle.

Is there much of a difference between the newer models of these magicbooks and the slightly older ones?

just the cpu really.

for day-to-day use you wouldn't notice a lot of difference but if you can get it for £600 it's a no brainer

where is the link for £70 off btw?

if the webcam angle really annoys can get a usb for £30 or so that would be of better quality than the ones that come in laptops really (e.g. autofocus, wider angle, higher resolution)

Yeah it seems like a decent deal for £600. It has small print under the heading "Final price: £599.99 | For any purchase of a HONOR MagicBook14 8GB+ 512GB, you benefit £70 discount when clicking "coupon" and you can also choose one of the following gifts: HONOR Mouse OR HONOR Backpack OR HONOR Sport PRO OR HONOR Band 5 OR HONOR Router 3. Offer valid from 01.10 to 31.10.". I tried adding it to the basket there and it works!

Is it the model with the 4500u cpu?

(3500u in the other one)

• Advertisement

yes it's the newer model.

good deal

Cheers glasso, you offer a great service to this forum! Just ordered there through parcel motel. It said to input their address in Antrim but will it still be delivered to my local hub that I selected when creating my account? First time using them.

Cheers glasso, you offer a great service to this forum! Just ordered there through parcel motel. It said to input their address in Antrim but will it still be delivered to my local hub that I selected when creating my account? First time using them.

that's how they all work. (parcel motel).

parcel wizard is the same but can deliver to your home address (same price)

addresspal from an post is useful when suppliers will only deliver to a mainland uk address. pick up from post office (or extra to your door)

post an impression when you get it.

Advertisement