Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€500 laptop for general use

• 17-10-2020 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,
    Is anyone able to recommend a laptop for €500?
    Would be mainly used at home for basic computing like internet browsing, office work and media streaming.
    Won't be used for gaming or video editing.
    A SSD would be nice. Portability is not a priority.

Thanks

Comments

I'd recommend this for €380 then pick up a 4gb ddr4 2400MHz sodimm on amazon for less than €20 to bring it up to 8gb

the cpu in it is actually decent enough and it has an ssd

the screen is not the brightest ever but will be fine indoors

you won't do any better for up to €500 really.

if you are willing to go nearer 600 check out the magicbook 14 on box.co.uk (use parcel motel etc)

https://www.did.ie/lenovo-ideapad-14-athlon-gold-3150u-4gb-128gb-laptop-grey-81w0004fuk-81w0004fuk-prd

windows 10s can be turned in regular windows 10 with a quick setting change by the way - not an issue.

Horusire wrote: »

Argos UK won't ship to redirect service addresses akaik

maybe if you're willing to drive to the North if it can be picked up there if in stock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

glasso wrote: »
    if you are willing to go nearer 600 check out the magicbook 14 on box.co.uk (use parcel motel etc)

I got the Huawei version with 8Gb ram (AMD) + 512gb for €656 in Argos earlier this week. Its a lovely piece of kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

What about ex buisness machines?
    https://itzoo.co.uk/collections/cheap-lenovo-laptops?page=1

https://itzoo.co.uk/collections/cheap-lenovo-laptops/products/refurbished-lenovo-t470-laptop-i5-6300u-2-4ghz-8gb-128gb-ssd-win-10
    you could even get this and a 16gb ram upgrade + a higher capacity ssd on amazon and still be under budget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,509 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Argos UK won't ship to redirect service addresses akaik

maybe if you're willing to drive to the North if it can be picked up there if in stock

I got an item delivered during the week to Parcel Motel from them.

529636.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Cirrus Incus

Thanks for the suggestions which I'll research myself.
    The laptop is for my Dad and he wants to keep it simple.
    He'd rather buy in store in the event something goes wrong with it.

Is it hard to upgrade a laptop?
    I built my own gaming PC four years, but haven't done any DIY since.

it's simple to add in the ram - just a Philips screwdriver required.

it will click in to the empty slot that will be easily identifiable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I bought a lenovo a few years ago. Added extra ram and add in an evening. Easy to do and plenty of utube videos for the brands

• Advertisement

john4321 wrote: »
    I got an item delivered during the week to Parcel Motel from them.

fair enough. I thought that Argos uk had blocked the redirect addresses

I'd probably still recommend the magicbook as the thermals are very good in it to let the cpu run at its max and there are some issues in that regard with the Asus

https://indianexpress.com/article/technology/tech-reviews/asus-zenbook-14-um431-review-6161655/#:~:text=Asus%20Zenbook%2014%20UM431%20review%3A%20Display%20and%20audio&text=It%20has%20a%20100%20per,any%20strain%20on%20my%20eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Cirrus Incus

I'd probably still recommend the magicbook as the thermals are very good in it to let the cpu run at its max and there are some issues in that regard with the Asus

Regarding the magicbook, if it's delivered to Ireland via Parcelmotel, will the warranty still be valid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Colin Baker on VM tv does refurbished business laptops, https://backfromthefuture.ie/collections
    No harm in having a look, business machines are streets ahead of home stuff in regards build quality etc.

Regarding the magicbook, if it's delivered to Ireland via Parcelmotel, will the warranty still be valid?

you'd probably have to post it back to the UK realistically in the case of an issue but the warranty would be covered for the period in the terms and conditions.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Colin Baker on VM tv does refurbished business laptops, https://backfromthefuture.ie/collections
    No harm in having a look, business machines are streets ahead of home stuff in regards build quality etc.

in fairness the magicbook is of premium metal build

the cpus in those laptops are years old and not as powerful as more modern ones, particularly wrt integrated graphics, the screens from that era were poor to look at and the battery on older laptops is going to be degraded (way less than 100% capacity)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭CoBo55

in fairness the magicbook is of premium metal build

the cpus in those laptops are years old and not as powerful as more modern ones, particularly wrt integrated graphics, the screens from that era were poor to look at and the battery on older laptops is going to be degraded (way less than 100% capacity)

The op only wants a machine for basic tasks which any of those processors would do easily. I actually prefer the older non reflective screens they're much easier to watch films on, they're not was harsh on the eyes and you don't have to keep moving around the room to get the light behind you out of the screen. Fair enough the battery is a gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Hi,
    Is anyone able to recommend a laptop for €500?
    Would be mainly used at home for basic computing like internet browsing, office work and media streaming.
    Won't be used for gaming or video editing.
    A SSD would be nice. Portability is not a priority.

Thanks

Have a look at www.greenit.ie. Refurbished laptops in Kildare. No affiliation but we use them for work, always excellent & so much better than underspending on a new laptop.

Advertisement