Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats needed to get a Deer Hunting Licence

Options
  • 17-10-2020 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi guys. I want to start deer hunting next season (2021). I know a farmer who has 100 acres with deer he wants controlled. And i heard there is a course that you have to do. What else is needed? Is it a difficult process? Thanks for the info lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭kunekunesika

Exp271 wrote: »
    Hi guys. I want to start deer hunting next season (2021). I know a farmer who has 100 acres with deer he wants controlled. And i heard there is a course that you have to do. What else is needed? Is it a difficult process? Thanks for the info lads.

Depends on where you are starting from? Have you any firearms experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

I also want to take up hunting for deer, ill be moving to cavan now that i can work from home and plan to build a house

I hear there is good deer stalking in Meath and Cavan but have no idea where to start, it looks like a really cool hobby that i can do there along with my fishing

I'm thinking of a Winchester 270 rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Exp271

Yes I have firearms experience. Im just wondering what I need to get a Deer hunting license from the parks and wildlife. Im sure its not just the form and the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭kunekunesika

Yes I have firearms experience. Im just wondering what I need to get a Deer hunting license from the parks and wildlife. Im sure its not just the form and the course.

The form, permission, no course needed this year. And a rifle, scope, binoculars....... Search the hunting section, this question is answered a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I also want to take up hunting for deer, ill be moving to cavan now that i can work from home and plan to build a house

I hear there is good deer stalking in Meath and Cavan but have no idea where to start, it looks like a really cool hobby that i can do there along with my fishing

I'm thinking of a Winchester 270 rifle

I would not get a 270 as a first rifle ( i made that mistake). A lower recoil rifle , 243, 6.5 or 308 will be fine .

• Advertisement

Chiparus wrote: »
    I would not get a 270 as a first rifle ( i made that mistake). A lower recoil rifle , 243, 6.5 or 308 will be fine .

Any particular reason? i dunno kinda had my heart set on a 270 it probably goes to show how little i know about this...but slowly learning things

As for Cavan, does anyone deer hunt there??

Probably you should try a few calibers first, I find the 270 has a big "kick" and some people can develop a flinch when using it.

https://www.countydeerstalking.co.uk/deer-stalking-equipment-/-reviews/270-winchester-review

[I"]With about 2700 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle the .270 Winchester has similar energy levels to the .308 Winchester however as already stated it is flatter shooting. That said there are down sides and these include what some might find a slightly snappy kick which for many new comers to deer stalking can result in 'flinching' when taking the shot. That added to a significant muzzle blast and slightly more expensive ammunition means that it is for many UK deer Stalkers less popular than the .308 Winchester.[/I]"

I guess another question i have is if i can't hunt in coillte forestry then what will the alternative terrain be like in general?

I mean id ambitions of stalking around tree covered woods but in reality it will most likely be flat farming fields, would i be right in assuming this??

Can i shoot in small woodlands which say back on to farming lands?? Or is it completely of limits

The idea of stalking flat open fields doesnt seen as appealing

I guess another question i have is if i can't hunt in coillte forestry then what will the alternative terrain be like in general?

I mean id ambitions of stalking around tree covered woods but in reality it will most likely be flat farming fields, would i be right in assuming this??

Can i shoot in small woodlands which say back on to farming lands?? Or is it completely of limits

The idea of stalking flat open fields doesnt seen as appealing

Depends on who owns the wood and if you have permission to shoot in that wood. If its coillte most likely someone else has paid a lot of money to shoot there.

Chiparus wrote: »
    Depends on who owns the wood and if you have permission to shoot in that wood. If its coillte most likely someone else has paid a lot of money to shoot there.

Im gunna make the assumption most wooded areas are Coillte owned, even smaller ones i defo dont want to pay through the nose to hunt

Id love to be wrong though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Im gunna make the assumption most wooded areas are Coillte owned, even smaller ones i defo dont want to pay through the nose to hunt

Id love to be wrong though

I think you are under the misconception that there is land out there that you can just hunt on.
    All land in Ireland is controlled one way or another. If the land is private you need permission from the owner to hunt there. Sometimes the owner does not "own' the sporting rights and therefore neither themselves or other not involved in the sporting rights can't hunt the land. Further still the land may be private but state restrictions mat prevent hunting in that area due to conservation etc.
    Public access land also does not grant members of the public right to hunt the land. Don't be confused with what you see in the USA and the likes of New Zealand we don't have public access hunting here.
    So you will need to gain private land permission or join a game club or pay for a lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭garyc007

Any particular reason? i dunno kinda had my heart set on a 270 it probably goes to show how little i know about this...but slowly learning things

As for Cavan, does anyone deer hunt there??

I would have a look at a few things if you don't have a capable friend that hunts deer, before making the decision. Land, gear skills etc.
    Cavan men would tell you no deer in Cavan :) but I know that's only an excuse to travel as I could shoot plenty of deer in Cavan if I wanted but stay close to home

Presumably you have a basic grasp of what gear & skills you need if you have firearms experience? Have you already got a deer legal calibre? After that it is pretty knowledge,know how and experience/time. If you have a friend that hunts deer they should be able to guide you

I think you are under the misconception that there is land out there that you can just hunt on.
    All land in Ireland is controlled one way or another. If the land is private you need permission from the owner to hunt there. Sometimes the owner does not "own' the sporting rights and therefore neither themselves or other not involved in the sporting rights can't hunt the land. Further still the land may be private but state restrictions mat prevent hunting in that area due to conservation etc.
    Public access land also does not grant members of the public right to hunt the land. Don't be confused with what you see in the USA and the likes of New Zealand we don't have public access hunting here.
    So you will need to gain private land permission or join a game club or pay for a lease.

No no, i get that

I understand that permission needs to be sought from the farmer or otherwise, i guess im just curious about small pockets of forestry located around the place that might be suitable for an early morning stalk, now obviously not every forest is tendered for hunting, well not from my research, so these are either coillte or owned by someone else so do i assume most forests are coillite owned and off limits?

See below as an example

https://goo.gl/maps/BurSo27qar74eFz38

Heres also an example of 3 yanks teenagers hunting in Waterford, they are unlikely hold the tender on the location they are on (although i could be wrong)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLYSktxP68E

I realize im probably not making much sense :D

If you know that location is Cavan I would take it down again :)
    Yes agree I would say one of the American guys must be a resident here now and brought two of his buddys and are more than likely trespassing, they may think its public land like they have at home

garyc007 wrote: »
    If you know that location is Cavan I would take it down again :)
    Yes agree I would say one of the American guys must be a resident here now and brought two of his buddys and are more than likely trespassing, they may think its public land like they have at home

Im not sure i "fallow"

See what i did there!

Why would i take it down??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Im not sure i "fallow"

See what i did there!

Cos it will be like Beirut there by tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Im not sure i "fallow"

See what i did there!

Just going by what I have RED of your posts I have a suspicion you might only be an attention SIKA.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

No no, i get that

I understand that permission needs to be sought from the farmer or otherwise, i guess im just curious about small pockets of forestry located around the place that might be suitable for an early morning stalk, now obviously not every forest is tendered for hunting, well not from my research, so these are either coillte or owned by someone else so do i assume most forests are coillite owned and off limits?

See below as an example

https://goo.gl/maps/BurSo27qar74eFz38

Heres also an example of 3 yanks teenagers hunting in Waterford, they are unlikely hold the tender on the location they are on (although i could be wrong)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLYSktxP68E

I realize im probably not making much sense :D

Ok, so obviously you really didn't get the jest of my post. There is no land here that you may hunt on without prior permission or by permit, unless of course you own the land. Even if you own the land you must abide by the national legislation re hunting.

You assume the lads in the video are doing something wrong, not necessarily, plenty of non nationals legally hunt here in Ireland. You assume this is Coillte land again not nessacerliy, this may be private woodland. It may even be Coillte land and the individuals may hold the lease on it.

Bottom line you need permission to hunt, just because you see a wood in the countryside doesn't mean it's open access to the public. Many farmers / land owners have planted woods as future investment cash crops, so it is not uncommon to come across small plantations around the country. If you can gain permission they can be suitable habitat for certain deer species, if deer are in the location.

Vizzy wrote: »
    Cos it will be like Beirut there by tomorrow :D

But why would it be like beirut if no one has permission to hunt their??

Surely people don't just rock up and decide they look of a place that might hold deer and decide to hunt??

• Advertisement

Ok, so obviously you really didn't get the jest of my post. There is no land here that you may hunt on without prior permission or by permit, unless of course you own the land. Even if you own the land you must abide by the national legislation re hunting.

You assume the lads in the video are doing something wrong, not necessarily, plenty of non nationals legally hunt here in Ireland. You assume this is Coillte land again not nessacerliy, this may be private woodland. It may even be Coillte land and the individuals may hold the lease on it.

Bottom line you need permission to hunt, just because you see a wood in the countryside doesn't mean it's open access to the public. Many farmers / land owners have planted woods as future investment cash crops, so it is not uncommon to come across small plantations around the country. If you can gain permission they can be suitable habitat for certain deer species, if deer are in the location.

No no i really did get the jist of your post,

"Many farmers / land owners have planted woods as future investment cash crops, so it is not uncommon to come across small plantations around the country. If you can gain permission they can be suitable habitat for certain deer species, if deer are in the location"

This is probably the information i was more looking for, so not all forestry is coillte basically and can be hunted on if permission is sought

Does anyone here hunt in any forests?? or perhaps a mix between farmland and forestry

Seems like a really cool way to get nack in touch with nature, even though ive never hunted i really like reading about it

Fascinating

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

But why would it be like beirut if no one has permission to hunt their??

Surely people don't just rock up and decide they look of a place that might hold deer and decide to hunt??

You are absolutely correct.

Before anyone goes out they will make sure that they contact Gardai and NPWS and ask them to inspect their permissions and clarify that they have the correct equipment and calibre of rifle.
    Furthermore, they would report any suspicious activity to the Gardai.

Or maybe not ............

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Exp271

do you need a licence from the NPWS to hunt on land that the farmer has given you permission to hunt on?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

do you need a licence from the NPWS to hunt on land that the farmer has given you permission to hunt on?

Yes if you're hunting protected wild animals such as deer.

Anyone here using a ruger 308?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

I use 1

Advertisement