Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Source extra long carbide masonry regular drill bit

• 17-10-2020 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

I need to drill a bunch of holes into rock which is a ways under the ground for anchor purposes.

Any recommendations on where to buy a 12mm 600mm long carbide masonry drill bit?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

What part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭boardtc

What part of the country are you in?

Midlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

I agree, Amazon (a lot of other places too) can be hit or miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Surely you're using SDS for a job like that. Any farmer type hardware shop would have the bit you need.

I have Aldi 12, 14 and 18mm * 600mm SDS, would always use a 300mm pilot hole before using them. Worth the money, I think it was 25 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Any middling good tool hire or builders' supply place should have these.
    Electrical wholesalers usually carry long masonry bits too.

[HTML][/HTML]
    CoBo55 wrote: »
    Surely you're using SDS for a job
    like that. Any farmer type hardware shop would have the bit you need.

I did not know the farmer co-ops would have something, I'll call them tomorrow.

Educate me on SDS, why is it better? I don't have a SDS drill.

I have Aldi 12, 14 and 18mm * 600mm SDS, would always use a 300mm pilot hole before using them. Worth the money, I think it was 25 euro.

What's the reason for the 300mm pilot hole? I'm drilling into rock which is under maybe 10cm of soil.

• Advertisement

boardtc wrote: »
    What's the reason for the 300mm pilot hole? I'm drilling into rock which is under maybe 10cm of soil.

Saves both bit and drill. I wouldn't drill a 600mm deep hole with a 600mm long bit from start to finish, I'd stage it out with shorter bits working up in length.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

boardtc wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

I did not know the farmer co-ops would have something, I'll call them tomorrow.

Educate me on SDS, why is it better? I don't have a SDS drill.

they are designed for the impact , the only way to go.
    ps if the soil is on top, the holes may not clear so you may need compressed air to blow them out for the anchors

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Saves both bit and drill. I wouldn't drill a 600mm deep hole with a 600mm long bit from start to finish, I'd stage it out with shorter bits working up in length.
    100%, especially if you value your wrist and shoulder

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I was in B & Q looking at drill bits and I saw the various drills were listed for max depth, all relatively shallow compared to 600mm. I guess with the 300mm pilot hole your are counteracting that max depth as well.

I did purchase a DeWalt 18V impact driver this summer so am bought into that system. I noticed the cordless drills seemed to be rated shallower than the wired ones. Would you stay away from a cordless SDS?

I had not considered upgrading to a SDS drill but if it's the difference between success and failure on this project. Actually more so I had not considered the impact on wrist and shoulders at all, does a SDS lesson that as well as drilling shallower holes like you describe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

SDS is the business for putting holes in masonry, however if this is your only job, why not hire the drill and bit?

Its what I always do when I've any breaking to do.

Purgative wrote: »
    SDS is the business for putting holes in masonry, however if this is your only job, why not hire the drill and bit?

Its what I always do when I've any breaking to do.

Wow, I did not know that was an option! Boards rocks!

I called the hire shop, they have an ordinary SDS drill for €30 per day. They recommended wired drill for a bunch of holes. They have a 900mm bit! They have 600mm bits for sale for €12 but they are not tungsten, he reckoned I might need them to go into rock.

I wonder if I can find somewhere in Ireland to buy a tungsten/carbide SDS bit to arrive before the weekend.

Advertisement