Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Covid situation- how do you plan for 2021 races

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Wonder what will happen with September races now too, no point in everyone rescheduling to that time of year. Then races that are on will have issues get volunteers if it is the only time their members can race themselves.

well at least the sheephaven RD did not think one has to postpone the race as he was confident he could deliver a race end of june with the TI rules . garda seems to have been on board too.
    would have been interesting to listen to the conversation between RD and the commitiee . in short i did break my balls for the last 4 weeks to get the race over the line , yes but we are not comfortable to have a race thanks for all the effort. and we would like you to do the same in septemper again, to show you how much we appreciate your effort. its easy to see both views but i guess it makes it not easeir to find a race director the next time as it seems to be a bit of a no confidence vote.

what i dodnt get is we do duathlons in january but we cant do triathlons in october when the water is way warmer than in may.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Bertje14

@Peter Kern

did you actually see the video? Man he was seriously pissed off!!!! It was like he had just come out of a very heated discussion and that he went f*ck this **** I am putting on Facebook.

I wonder if it is a financial issue. not worth running the race. the entries don't cover the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rodriquez

Bertje14 wrote: »
    @Peter Kern

did you actually see the video? Man he was seriously pissed off!!!! It was like he had just come out of a very heated discussion and that he went f*ck this **** I am putting on Facebook.

I wonder if it is a financial issue. not worth running the race. the entries don't cover the cost.

yea - he definitely wasn't happy. it has to be difficult to try to control waves and then any supporters who would probably levitate towards the village as the run passes through it twice. Downings is only a small village and transition is right in the middle of it as well. Hopefully it does go ahead in Sept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭themighty

Did anyone else see the Hardman waiting list email? It's pretty hilarious.

"Also, especially do not mail me if you have been training for the recently cancelled race in Youghal. Because that was cancelled doesn’t automatically mean you can jump to the top of the waiting list. And definitely do not mail me asking for a discount on a Hardman race because you lost money on an IM race elsewhere. Take it up with them. And Yes, I do get asked these questions."

Fair play to him:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭MyDarkArts

themighty wrote: »

"Also, especially do not mail me if you have been training for the recently cancelled race in Youghal. Because that was cancelled doesn’t automatically mean you can jump to the top of the waiting list. And definitely do not mail me asking for a discount on a Hardman race because you lost money on an IM race elsewhere. Take it up with them. And Yes, I do get asked these questions."

Got a chuckle out of that quote alright. I'd say next year's participation agreement will say "entry is subject to participant not sending any idiotic correspondence to the race organisers".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

themighty wrote: »

Alan told me last year that he was getting those sorts of emails and I thought he was joking, obviously not. Looking to be moved up the waiting list or for a discount because Ironman took your money and didn’t give you a race is pretty funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭themighty

Some people genuinely amaze me - that is an outrageous amount of neck. I've newfound respect for RDs now, having to put up with that nonsense :D.

Going off topic here but I’ve been involved in a race for a few years and some of the sob stories you get from people who missed the deadline to a sold out race are funny.

I remember a minor ‘celebrity’ who had a regular slot on one of this RT/ TV3 daytime shows trying to use his ‘celebrity’ status to get into a sold out race. He told us he would mention the race on TV and it would be a great bonus for the race to have him in it. We told him to feck off.

There’s also the feedback you get after a race, some of which is really valuable (e.g. transition layout), but some of which is not particularly useful - the water was too cold, they expected a hot meal at the end of the race (sprint distance), etc.

i expected the january pool rush y day going to the pool. when i arrived 8 pm there was 4 people in it and i had a lane on my own . havent enjoyed swimming so much in a long while .....
    not sure what that says about people willing to do a tri this year but i was surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

peter kern wrote: »
    i expected the january pool rush y day going to the pool. when i arrived 8 pm there was 4 people in it and i had a lane on my own . havent enjoyed swimming so much in a long while .....
    not sure what that says about people willing to do a tri this year but i was surprised.

Same in the NAC yesterday… it was great! 2 in the lane.

• Advertisement

it was fine in Westwood as well. Busy but not mental.

Had an entire 50m lane to myself in UCD today (most of which I swallowed :pac:) First swim of any sort since December last year. I was pure sh1te.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i'd suspect it says more about people still being cautious, most under 45 which would be most of the tri community is not vaccinated even with a first dose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 Kurt Godelfish

Great that you had a clear lane, but you're reading too much into it. Most Triathletes would have moved to the OW anyway by early June, and Masters groups would have finished for the year. If the numbers in the sea are anything to go by, there will be no shortage of willing participants. Now all we need are the races...

Great that you had a clear lane, but you're reading too much into it. Most Triathletes would have moved to the OW anyway by early June, and Masters groups would have finished for the year. If the numbers in the sea are anything to go by, there will be no shortage of willing participants. Now all we need are the races...

if you are right than we will finally see an increase in female participation in long ocurse tri as i think we agree that females seem to be outnumbering man at seaswimming.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

On the topic of races...did anyone receive their TI race license?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

They're now electronic only.

you need to download the app and then it is there. they don't send out actual cards anymore.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    They're now electronic only.

Ah I was only really asking as I was waiting for my just eat discount code :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 Kurt Godelfish

Good luck to everyone competing at the first race of the season, the Hardman Waterville half this Saturday.

It's obvious from the race briefing that Covid-era is upon us, but fingers crossed enjoyment will win out on the day, and that spirit carries on for other races across the season. Here's to a couple of months of happy faces for Tri people; thanks to all the RD's, organisers, committee's, marshal's, clubs, athletes, and everyone else involved in keeping the show on the road in 2021.
    We are trusting that everyone who competes is there in the spirit of triathlon and sport in general. Everything we have had to change has had to be done. We don’t like the changes either. This is new to us all and we are not here for people to try and catch us out.

Please be aware that you are all the poster boys and girls for triathlon in Ireland now. Everybody is watching us this weekend to see how it goes. Let’s do our best to make it a day worth remembering by showing that even with the new restrictions that this is still a great sport to be enjoyed by all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Lost Sheep middle-distance now gone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

Delighted to have taken part in my first Tri since 2019. in Kilkenny, congrats to Kilkenny Tri club for putting on a great race at short notice. We were so lucky with the weather, although it didnt quite feel that way as I stumbled across the finish line feeling like a baked potato.

KTC took every precaution and some more, in respect of the covid situation. One of which was a rolling start into the water which I really think should be adopted by all races going forward as it makes for a much more enjoyable swim. I had clean water the entire time which meant i could relax and enjoy the water which I dont usually get the chance to do on the swim with arms and legs flying everywhere.

Having seen a race like Kilkenney Triathlon club's run so successfully in a pandemic, I see absolutely no reason why other triathlons and outdoor races are falling by the wayside. KTC even ran their race brief via zoom in advance of the race which was a great idea, as was the splitting of the competitors into waves which allowed you to finish your race and take your bike and leave for home without affecting a latter wave's racers. I was disappointed to see DTC isnt happening along with many other races, perhaps they dont feel they can get the logistics together in time I dont know, but I do know triathletes are eager to race and are very willing to be adaptable, all they need is race organisers to commit like KTC committed to this race.

"KTC even ran their race brief via zoom in advance of the race which was a great idea, as was the splitting of the competitors into waves which allowed you to finish your race and take your bike and leave for home without affecting a latter wave's racers."

See, thing with that is no post race chats, banter, race dissection. Sounds crap to me, but good to be having races in some capacity, pity for those new to the sport they are missing some of the race day experience with no pre/post race gathering.

have you done a race in the covid area, or are you just speculating ....

what i am saying is that if you had done a race in the coivd area your likely concluison would be apart from not having food at the finish line not much has changed. and some things have improved for beginner ie the stress of the swim start. or generally being able to get home quiclly if thats what you need. or that you can sfely leave your gear in transiton area

its is different but for many there is tangible improvements there . but at the end on fo day nothing does stop anyody to have bater disect the race etc in a responsible manner .

Advertisement