Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open drive - which insurers?

• 18-10-2020 12:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭

What insurers offer open drive?

It's that time of the year again.
    I need to go quote hunting.

My renewal is in and looking OK about €500 but this year I need to pay to add open drive to policy.

Not driving of other cars.
    But that others can drive my car.

No option on 25plus.ie (AIG) renewal to add it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

- if the other drivers are you parents then specify them as it’s normally free.
    - If the other driver has any ‘history issues’ then don’t risk putting on open drive to get them access to a car as it’ll affect your policy heaven forbid something goes wrong.
    -If your car is higher performance the ope drive isn’t always an option as some cars need ‘age 30 or older’ to get cover.
    - May I ask car make and why the strict need for open drive?

quote="Wildly Boaring;114965562"]What insurers offer open drive?

It's that time of the year again.
    I need to go quote hunting.

My renewal is in and looking OK about €500 but this year I need to pay to add open drive to policy.

Not driving of other cars.
    But that others can drive my car.

No option on 25plus.ie (AIG) renewal to add it.[/quote]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

cplwhisper wrote: »
    May I ask car make and why the strict need for open drive?
    Seat Leon FR
    I have had it historically
    Didn't last the 2 years
    Need it again this year.

I know Aviva offer it.
    Anyone else I should be getting quotes from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Answering myself
    It's a €66 option with Axa
    Unfortunately they're €100 dearer than my AIG renewal plus the 66....

I'll do the big trawl on Monday. In the interim if anyone has other companies that definitely offer Open Drive please let me know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Answering myself
    It's a €66 option with Axa
    Unfortunately they're €100 dearer than my AIG renewal plus the 66....

I'll do the big trawl on Monday. In the interim if anyone has other companies that definitely offer Open Drive please let me know

Axa do open drive, as long as they don’t think your using the clause for covering for other driver history.
    Most policy holders have an extension on their private car policy to drive other cars but somethings that’s only basic 3rd party liability.
    The ‘Fr’model normally requires all driver are aged 25 minimal, clean full Irish licence(EU licence more €€), max 3penalty points (speed.seatbelt and holding phone offences) as the car is categorised insurance group 25.

Axa’s -
    open drive covers all drivers comprehensively if that is your level of covver - some insurer may restrict their cover to only 3rd party cover ( be sure to check that benefit !!!)

Parents can 99% of the time be added FREE.

Partners, with their own car/van, normally will reduce your premium.

If the other driver for example is also an Axa customer then irs sometimes actually possible to ‘name’ them FREE on your policy subject that they too have clean driving record, drive similar car group car and maybe for example ye car-pool for work etc.

I was 15+ yrs as AXA staff thus where my info coming from - now in other role in life.

Check FBD & Brophey brokers if open drive is def required but you must understand the more drivers/open drive the no claims bonus(ncb) that’s lost in the event of an accident is YOURS !

Be sure to buy protected ncb upgrade over the ‘step back’ benefits to get best cover heaven-forbid.

Ya can PM if you want any other assistance.
    I’m not trying to sell you cover or make commission here I’m simply helping

All the best either way

Advertisement