Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

104th Ronde van Vlaanderen (243 km) | 18 October 2020 | Unmasked Spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Feel very bad for Alaphilippe :(

Now it's WvA & MvdP mano a mano

What happened, looked like he was on the radio looking down and ran into the moto?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It looked like he was talking on his radio, or doing something with his Jersey, had his head down but when it popped up the bike was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

AAAARGHLaphilippe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Looked to me like WVA was drafting on the motorbike and the motorbike slowed down too quickly.
    But maybe the bike was going at a slow speed for a while, in which case that seems like dangerous cycling by WVA. It would be the same as cycling directly at a bollard and moving aside at the last second. The guys behind, who don't see the bollard would be fecked.

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Looked to me like WVA was drafting on the motorbike and the motorbike slowed down too quickly.
    But maybe the bike was going at a slow speed for a while, in which case that seems like dangerous cycling by WVA. It would be the same as cycling directly at a bollard and moving aside at the last second. The guys behind, who don't see the bollard would be fecked.

Actually, ignore all that. Watched it again. WvA wasn't drafting. Alaphilippe's fault for not paying attention. Unlucky.

If I had free money for a bet I still wouldn't know who to pick

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

If I had free money for a bet I still wouldn't know who to pick

No. Just excited to watch it. 2 outstanding riders

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Actually, ignore all that. Watched it again. WvA wasn't drafting. Alaphilippe's fault for not paying attention. Unlucky.

MvdP was nearly caught out as well and adjusted his line at the last second.

• Advertisement

Kelly is in his element here calling this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

The bad language. Terrible. Cover your ears kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Kelly is in his element here calling this.

That's rough on wvd, best in the world but no victories of late

What a race!

Women's stream up now on the apps. 2 Irish ladies in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Loved that race. Sprint was incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Van der Poel read Van Aert's sprint very well — he must have a tell that Van der Poel knows very well. Anyway, I think that split second reaction helped VDP hold on for the win. A shame about Alaphilippe but a great race as always.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Van der Poel read Van Aert's sprint very well — he must have a tell that Van der Poel knows very well. Anyway, I think that split second reaction helped VDP hold on for the win. A shame about Alaphilippe but a great race as always.

Yeah, he reacted so quickly to WvA's sprint start. As soon as WvA got out of the saddle he went.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The two ladies are just sitting up and laughing here :D

• Advertisement

Alaphilippe has two fractures in his right hand. It could have been a lot worse

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭rcklap

Vastly different wheel setups from the two lads today, is that a factor on such a close finish?

Crazy, RTE mentioned the race on the news there. Showed the crashes and never bothered with who won it or even showed the finish :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Crazy, RTE mentioned the race on the news there. Showed the crashes and never bothered with who won it or even showed the finish :rolleyes:

Outside of an Irish win, the only time cycling is mentioned on RTE is when it involves either drugs or crashes, sadly.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Outside of an Irish win, the only time cycling is mentioned on RTE is when it involves either drugs or crashes, sadly.

Yeah but usually when they showed the stages at the tour they mentioned who had actually won Irish or not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Refractions

I've worked in RTE on Sundays, it's a joke, there's about 5 people in the place. Not at all surprised with a slapdash 'report' like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Kelly called the sprint bang on, Van Aert said he preferred a longer gallop, exactly as Kelly explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Refractions

Finnrocco wrote: »
    Kelly called the sprint bang on, Van Aert said he preferred a longer gallop, exactly as Kelly explained.

Not sure if it would have helped him to go earlier as MvdP is able to sustain crazy power for long periods too (eg Amstel Gold last year). That's bound to have played on WVA's mind. It was so delicately poised, great to watch. Two cyclocrossers sprinting track-style at a Monument :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Interesting few months for Julian - he's fairly mixed the ridiculous and the sublime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Finnrocco wrote: »

Begs the question, why did WVA not take it up earlier?

Advertisement