Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

104th Ronde van Vlaanderen (243 km) | 18 October 2020 | Unmasked Spoilers

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Was a pity Alaphilippe crashed out, as I'm sure he would have tried to get away on the run in, and then the two lads might have played poker.

Interestingly a decent ride by Bardet, around 20th but he was in the mix for a while.,

Kristoff must have some savage strength and power, always able to do a good gallop after a long hard race.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Inquitus wrote: »
    Begs the question, why did WVA not take it up earlier?

I know, yeh.

Suspect he was empty, and tried to leave it as late as possible, hoping with the jump he would get a length lead and VderP would not be able to claw it back in the short distance to the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

van der pool looked more comfortable the last 20k for me nut there's anyway WVA could have won that bar Allaphilippe staying upright

On that note it was allaphillipe's own fault right - just bad luck that he grabbed his radio the same time as the 2 guys jinked left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

What a race and what a finish! but what a pity JA was taken out by the commissaire's moto. Stupid thing to slow up on the inside of fast moving trio. Yes Alaphillipe wasn't looking but then he wasn't expecting to hit a motorbike in that position on the road!!. He looked strong and was the main instigator in splitting the field. Love to have seen his attack on the Patersberg and the the ensuing chase from the two boys. Don't think he'd have stayed away but he would have tried ( similar effort in his National Champs trying to drop Démare and of course the worlds) Considering he never rode this race before ( MVP and Wout have lots of experience riding on cobbles plus greater power) and his physique doesn't really lend itself to this type of terrain it was an impressive ride up to the crash. He really is the most exciting rider to watch and definitely one of the most talented. Not taking away from MVP and Wout who both were magnificent in riding away from strong field. I thought Naesen looked the pick of the remainders. The sprint was one of the best I have ever seen at the end of the Ronde, Wout should have jumped earlier or even feigned an attempt at about 300m and jumped on his wheel but as someone said earlier he was too tired for his usual long effort. MVP deserved winner..just. Pity Roubaix not on next week. Would have been interesting !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

sy wrote: »
    What a race and what a finish! but what a pity JA was taken out by the commissaire's moto. Stupid thing to slow up on the inside of fast moving trio. Yes Alaphillipe wasn't looking but then he wasn't expecting to hit a motorbike in that position on the road!!.
    Think that's harsh on the moto tbh. It wasn't a technical or sharp turn. This time I think it was just pure bad luck - moto could've been positioned better, no need for WVA to take them so close to it, JA on his radio (although he's hardly Mr steady bike at the best of times).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Inquitus wrote: »
    Begs the question, why did WVA not take it up earlier?

From the man himself...
    "It's simple," Van Aert told reporters after the finish. "He was just that little bit stronger. I wanted to be the first to go in the sprint, from the wheel, but I waited a little too long. I would have benefited from a longer sprint, but I didn't use it.

Advertisement