Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling during the lockdown

Options
  • 18-10-2020 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

What are peoples experiences of cycling during the lockdown please? Have they got stopped.? If so, what happened? What type of distances have people being doing? And what routes are people cycling.

I'm trying to organise a small charity cycle for my martial arts club to get funding up and was going to do a small 50klm cycle. There are loads of cyclists about but I've never cycled in a group.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

byrnem31 wrote: »
    What are peoples experiences of cycling during the lockdown please? Have they got stopped.? If so, what happened? What type of distances have people being doing? And what routes are people cycling.

I'm trying to organise a small charity cycle for my martial arts club to get funding up and was going to do a small 50klm cycle. There are loads of cyclists about but I've never cycled in a group.

Any suggestions appreciated.

You won't be able to organise a charity cycle during a lockdown.
    You'll have to wait until restrictions are lifted.
    Good luck with it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,576 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yep, outdoor physical activities are limited to a max of 15 people so would be very difficult logistically even if you wanted multiple groups well spaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Yep, outdoor physical activities are limited to a max of 15 people so would be very difficult logistically even if you wanted multiple groups well spaced.

I was thinking only about 10 people in two sets of 5. It's only a small group with the aim to raise about €250. A 50 klm cycle.

Could that be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭cletus

I was thinking only about 10 people in two sets of 5. It's only a small group with the aim to raise about €250. A 50 klm cycle.

Could that be done?

Depends on the organisation. As it stands, 2 groups of 5 people could go on a cycle tomorrow morning without issue.

The issues might arise with whatever organisational stuff needs to happen.

If the cyclists raise their money, and then just agree to meet at the start point, and head home afterwards, you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

My company recently did a charity cycle. Everyone had to do it themselves and send on the strava/Google/Apple log of the cycle as proof.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    My company recently did a charity cycle. Everyone had to do it themselves and send on the strava/Google/Apple log of the cycle as proof.

Good idea, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Could that be done?

Definitely. I saw a respectable club out cycling this morning and I would have thought there was at least 15 there. If you limited it to two groups of five you'd be fine.

50k is a nice size for someone not used to cycling. If someone's cycling a lot it would be considered very easy. But with your event it's the thought that counts.

I don't know where you're based but people are doing 200k cycles in dublin right now without breaching any guidelines. City centre to howth and back is around 40k, so some variant on that would get you to 50k, maybe finishing up in dun laoighaire or something.

Usually cycles like this would have a food and water stop but I think that's inadvisable during covid. People should be able to carry enough water for a 50k on their bikes (one full bottle would probably be enough). Then you could either do a sandwich drop, where they all give you their sandwich and you drive out to the lunch spot and give them to them, or people could just sort themselves out in a shop or take away. To be honest, if you had a good meal beforehand 50k should be doable with a cereal bar in your pocket.

Finally you could jazz it up for people by getting them to cycle in costume, drag etc, line it up with halloween?

Good luck with it

a148pro wrote: »
    Definitely. I saw a respectable club out cycling this morning and I would have thought there was at least 15 there. If you limited it to two groups of five you'd be fine.

50k is a nice size for someone not used to cycling. If someone's cycling a lot it would be considered very easy. But with your event it's the thought that counts.

I don't know where you're based but people are doing 200k cycles in dublin right now without breaching any guidelines. City centre to howth and back is around 40k, so some variant on that would get you to 50k, maybe finishing up in dun laoighaire or something.

Usually cycles like this would have a food and water stop but I think that's inadvisable during covid. People should be able to carry enough water for a 50k on their bikes (one full bottle would probably be enough). Then you could either do a sandwich drop, where they all give you their sandwich and you drive out to the lunch spot and give them to them, or people could just sort themselves out in a shop or take away. To be honest, if you had a good meal beforehand 50k should be doable with a cereal bar in your pocket.

Finally you could jazz it up for people by getting them to cycle in costume, drag etc, line it up with halloween?

Good luck with it

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its pretty bloody clear what itll be from Monday. No events.
    Exercise and sporting events
    Training

Individual training only. No exercise or dance classes.

Matches and events

No matches or events to take place.

Gyms, leisure centres and swimming pools

Gyms/leisure centres/swimming pools closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Last April at the height of the lockdown, we ran a "virtual" group ride. Everyone cycled at home on Turbo trainers and joined a group ride on Zwift. Each rider committed to cycle at least 100k each. We also setup a group chat using the Discord app which allowed us all to talk to each other during the event.

(We raised over 25k too so it was a successful event)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

"Events" are not allowed under the current Level 3 restrictions. Club group spins, up to 15 are allowed, in line with the outdoor training in groups of up to 15 outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Time to dust off this.

https://2kmfromhome.com/10km

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,576 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was getting plenty of vitamin D (which seems to be potentially linked with better health outcomes in case of infection) during the first lockdown, but that's way less likely to happen now, even if i do get out.

bazermc wrote: »
    Time to dust off this.

https://2kmfromhome.com/10km

In order to burn it?
    i was getting plenty of vitamin D (which seems to be potentially linked with better health outcomes in case of infection) during the first lockdown, but that's way less likely to happen now, even if i do get out.

Surely our overlords would not impose a wholly arbitrary restriction on us that is actually damaging to public health would they?

I don't think we can blame them for the days getting shorter and cloudier, to be fair.

If I am subjected to months of inane lockdowns, YOU CAN BE SURE I WILL START BLAMING THEM FOR THAT TOO

Are you excited and ready with the yellow cards MB?

Could you at least lighten the atmosphere with a series on digging your own pond, as I may now get round to that. Q - is it too late in the year for the plants to establish with a view to preventing the water from stagnating? Froggies will be looking for their love nests soon enough. I actually disturbed them last year above the viewing point on the gravel bike, doubtless some bureaucrat will be along to prevent me doing that again shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I don't think we can blame them for the days getting shorter and cloudier, to be fair.

Shorter days and cloud isn't the problem; at our distance from equator we can't make Vitamin D for about 6 months given the absence of UV B light.

Someone from our latitudes won't need as much sun exposure as someone from equatorial regions. We also have better storage ability.

Some light reading
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3897598/

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

Hopefully will be 10 k as opposed to 5 k

Q - is it too late in the year for the plants to establish with a view to preventing the water from stagnating?
    it was around this time of the year that i dug our second pond, no issues on that front.

however, we have had other issues. the butyl rubber liner of that pond has been shredded at the edges in one or two places by what has to be foxes - my wife spotted a pair of young foxes playing in our neighbour's garden a few weeks before it happened. the rubber liner is probably like a chewy toy to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

alentejo wrote: »
    Hopefully will be 10 k as opposed to 5 k

Looking like 5k again...

I'm sure there's going to be Garda checkpoints everywhere to police this..:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The strava routes option allows you to pick suggested rides of a certain length, but not within a certain radius.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Looking like 5k again...

I'm sure there's going to be Garda checkpoints everywhere to police this..:rolleyes:

There shouldn't need to be checkpoints, this is where personnel responsibility and a healthy dose of cop on comes into effect!

I do hope its not 5km but whatever it is, then its up to each individual to behave appropriately and not the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

There shouldn't need to be checkpoints, this is where personnel responsibility and a healthy dose of cop on comes into effect!

I do hope its not 5km but whatever it is, then its up to each individual to behave appropriately and not the Gardai.

It is 5km, no mention of enforcement yet:

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1019/1172397-coronavirus-ireland/

this is where personnel responsibility and a healthy dose of cop on comes into effect.

I couldn't agree more

• Registered Users Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭cletus

The strava routes option allows you to pick suggested rides of a certain length, but not within a certain radius.

https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php

This will give you any radius size you want

Well the cycle has gone from 50klm to 5klm.
    That's s ok, I have post covid symptoms and I'm fatigued after 10klm so didn't really fancy cycling 50klm.

It's on hold for now though realistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Hopefully it dries up a bit before Wednesday night. Might have to plan my last long cycle for 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Well the cycle has gone from 50klm to 5klm.
    That's s ok, I have post covid symptoms and I'm fatigued after 10klm so didn't really fancy cycling 50klm.

It's on hold for now though realistically.

Sorry to hear that. How long ago did you have covid?

I see they’re introducing legislation to allow for fines for non compliance but just like everything else in this country it’ll take months to enact and the restrictions will hopefully be over by the time they’re introduced...and as usual someone from NI or another country can cycle around Ireland free from restrictions or rules...and oh yeah the GAA and LOI **** can still play their stupid little ball games because they’re immune obviously but I can’t cycle 20km from my home on my own!

Jeez I absolutely detest absolutely everything about this god forsaken shíthole country!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I can manage with the 5km radius. I tried the turbo for 2 weeks during the first lockdown but had to stop — I was losing too much fluid during only 40 minute sessions. Only a huge downpour will put me back on the turbo.

I can see the point of schools and construction staying open (with appropriate measures) but can't get my head around weddings and elite sport and the GAA continuing. I'm hoping enough people within the GAA realise what a potential ****show it would be if they do continue with the championships, and decide its not worth it.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that. How long ago did you have covid?

I see they’re introducing legislation to allow for fines for non compliance but just like everything else in this country it’ll take months to enact and the restrictions will hopefully be over by the time they’re introduced...and as usual someone from NI or another country can cycle around Ireland free from restrictions or rules...and oh yeah the GAA and LOI **** can still play their stupid little ball games because they’re immune obviously but I can’t cycle 20km from my home on my own!

Jeez I absolutely detest absolutely everything about this god forsaken shíthole country!!!

I had covid back in March but I'm still not right from it. I don't smoke or drink, I train kickboxing and cycle but I've lost about 50% of my fitness since having it. It will come back though the gp said, it will take a while though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement