Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling during the lockdown

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,576 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

velo.2010 wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see if there is still the same enthusiasm for cycling during this lockdown as there was with the last. The weekend might give us a better idea with the kids in school this time round.
    Well, the weather was insanely dry and warm last time...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

True, but I hope folk make use of their new/repaired bikes and not leave them rot in the shed because of a bit of rain or wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,391 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

'you can cycle until you have passed 5 pedestrians, after which you must turn around and go home'

i like the way you think :D:D:D

Have you forgotten the wind? Seem to recall a fair few blowy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

'you can cycle until you have passed 5 pedestrians, after which you must turn around and go home'
    I'd get about 2 metres as there are normally people congregated outside my house!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭secman

You fcking beaut .....

Wrong thread....

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

who_ru wrote: »
    plenty of lock downs to look forward to in the new year too.

horse racing eh? gotta love that one. since when is GAA an elite sport by the way?

No no I won’t have that !
    we are surely the best in the world at GAA ? ! It’s in our dna I heard someone say the other night ffs

I cannot believe the 5k Distance is back .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Apparently I'm an "essential worker" and I'm required to work from home two days a week only...I'll have to cycle the 20k to work 3 days a week! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,576 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'd get about 2 metres as there are normally people congregated outside my house!:(
    'he's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!' sort of people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Johnnystephens

Fair play, the rule I'm going to ignore is isolating when sick cause of all them bleeding UK reg cars! Off now to a busy supermarket I go without me mask cause those foreign feckers!

That is a ridiculous comparison to be honest, I didn't say I was going to go about partying, mixing with groups of people or the likes..I am going to cycle my bike on country roads not stopping anywhere and doing absolutely no harm to any soul .100 times safer than going into a supermarket methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Apparently I'm an "essential worker" and I'm required to work from home two days a week only...I'll have to cycle the 20k to work 3 days a week! :)

I too am an essential worker apparently, but run my own company (am my own boss) and have been working from home since march. Cant wait for the 60km commute from my bed to the makeshift office in the other room, via featherbeds and enniskerry on thursday morn. If i am stopped, apparently all i need is a letter from myself stating as much.

Shows what a joke the whole situation is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

velo.2010 wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see if there is still the same enthusiasm for cycling during this lockdown as there was with the last. The weekend might give us a better idea with the kids in school this time round.

Doubt it. Weather wise we're going North rather than South

retalivity wrote: »
    ... If i am stopped, apparently all i need is a letter from myself stating as much.

Shows what a joke the whole situation is.
    It's up to the Garda to determine whether you are 'essential' or not. A letter from your employer (or you if self employed) does not constitute an 'essential' employee. I had my HSE letter queried a few times during the lock down in March/April and I was also asked for work ID to link me with the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭secman

I had one guard who actually read the letter , after that i was waved on as i went to show the letter, as the weeks went on you could see the guards were tired of it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Quote: D13exile
    .... I live in the sticks and on my spins of 40kms+, I might pass at most two pedestrians walking their dogs. How on earth am I risking their health as I pass them doing over 30kph? .....
    Do you seriously expect the Government to introduce hundreds of thousands of differing layers of legislation to suit everyone's scenario? You sound like the Healy Rae's arguing that rural drivers should be exempt from drink driving regulations because the use rural boreens.

I think if I had to put a comment in a time capsule to sum up how wrong we've gotten this, this would be it

What are you on man? No we do not expect that. We expect our government not to criminalise someone for cycling down the road. How in Christ's name can you compare that to drink driving and consider that the person cycling down the road is doing wrong, and not the government trying to criminalise him for doing it?

a148pro wrote: »
    ...What are you on man? No we do not expect that. We expect our government not to criminalise someone for cycling down the road. How in Christ's name can you compare that to drink driving and consider that the person cycling down the road is doing wrong, and not the government trying to criminalise him for doing it?
    I'm not 'on' anything. I'm just a frontline HSE worker who did 54 consecutive long shifts in March/April/May battling this virus and trying to keep the wolf from the door. Instead of pulling together as a nation, I have to listen to cycling whingers seeking 'get out' clauses because they percieve themselves as above everyone else.

If you read my post again you'll see that I wasn't comparing Covid 19 with drink driving. I was comparing some selfish citizen's beliefs that they should be exempt from regulations because of their perception that, in their circumstances, it shouldn't apply to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Well is that perception not reasonable? It's got nothing to do with perceiving we are "above" these provisions. Drink driving is illegal because it's dangerous. Cycling down a street is not. It has no effect on the prevalence of this virus. And while I am very grateful for your service, it doesn't change this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Have to agree here that the 5km being penalised is wrong, the same leniency should be there from the last time and the fine rolled out for serious breaches not people cycling or running alone. Exercise is good for health and should be encouraged to be done safely . 5km is small especially for people near cities. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

I'm not 'on' anything. I'm just a frontline HSE worker who did 54 consecutive long shifts in March/April/May battling this virus and trying to keep the wolf from the door. Instead of pulling together as a nation, I have to listen to cycling whingers seeking 'get out' clauses because they percieve themselves as above everyone else.

If you read my post again you'll see that I wasn't comparing Covid 19 with drink driving. I was comparing some selfish citizen's beliefs that they should be exempt from regulations because of their perception that, in their circumstances, it shouldn't apply to them.

I am also an essential worker who has worked every day, in an office with another 100 people, since this pandemic started so I feel your pain! But that doesn't make the rules any less ridiculous!
    I don't see cyclists thinking they are above other people rather that they will make their own informed decisions about what is safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Honest to God if not being able to maintain a cycle within 5kn radius of your house is your biggest issue at the moment in life then you need to take a good long hard look at yourself.

Seriously it's the easiest thing in the world to do and also easy to plot 50km loops by making it a star shape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Honest to God if not being able to maintain a cycle within 5kn radius of your house is your biggest issue at the moment in life then you need to take a good long hard look at yourself.

Seriously it's the easiest thing in the world to do and also easy to plot 50km loops by making it a star shape.

Of course it is but that doesn't make it any the less ridiculous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

To be fair, I think they’re primarily selfish ars€holes who just happen to cycle.

Thanks for all your work btw. I know the last few months can’t have been easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Have to agree here that the 5km being penalised is wrong, the same leniency should be there from the last time and the fine rolled out for serious breaches not people cycling or running alone. Exercise is good for health and should be encouraged to be done safely . 5km is small especially for people near cities. :(

5km is a 20km return journey going boundary to boundary. Now roads aren’t straight so you’ll probably manage 30km, go East, go West, go North abs South. And you’ll have 60km easily. Repeat if required

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

C3PO wrote: »
    I don't see cyclists thinking they are above other people rather that they will make their own informed decisions about what is safe!

Nah, there are definitely some acting that way, especially during the first lockdown.

People have a very sudden concern for mental health that I don't believe is remotely genuine in many cases(some are). Same people who tell you to htfu and that sort of ****e. It has become very convenient, ah but my mental health.

It's not necessarily a health thing (5km) limit. It's a behavioral thing. And people don't grasp that. We know the virus doesn't care about a 5km radius, however people react to what they see other people do

We all know it's likely perfectly safe for us to be doing 100k spins. However, Johnny and Betty down the road say, ah sure he's going out I'll just go here, and sure we can all meet there, and knock on effects of making exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

To be fair, I think they’re primarily selfish ars€holes who just happen to cycle.

Thanks for all your work btw. I know the last few months can’t have been easy.

One of the things I’ve learned through this whole thing is that there is an incredible amount of nasty spiteful self-righteous people in this country who are only interested in making themselves look good by criticizing everyone around them. On our local forum on Facebook the amount of posts from people about other people doing what they perceived as wrong was incredible. Almost all of them started with the likes of “ I was down in Greystones and the amount of people I saw........”
    It was ALWAYS ok for them to be there though, that was ok.
    I remember early on I was out for a walk with my wife and daughter when we met an older lady who was in tears because a couple who had just passed her had ripped into her for being out when she was over 70 (she wasn’t) The poor woman was distraught and just wanted to to go for a walk but this couple just had to show how righteous they were.

For you to call people “selfish arseholes” is ridiculous. I followed all the rules the last time and will this time, however to say that we can’t question these rules is very very strange. Please don’t be so sanctimonious about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I'm confused now to as to whether or not to do this charity cycle?

everyone should be going out and ripping up the segments on their doorsteps to try to claim local KOMs.

this was probably my favourite post from last lockdown:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113469172&postcount=7343

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Weepsie wrote: »
    It's not necessarily a health thing (5km) limit. It's a behavioral thing. And people don't grasp that. We know the virus doesn't care about a 5km radius, however people react to what they see other people do

We all know it's likely perfectly safe for us to be doing 100k spins. However, Johnny and Betty down the road say, ah sure he's going out I'll just go here, and sure we can all meet there, and knock on effects of making exceptions.
    This, said a lot better than I managed over several posts in this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

One of the things I’ve learned through this whole thing is that there is an incredible amount of nasty spiteful self-righteous people in this country who are only interested in making themselves look good by criticizing everyone around them. On our local forum on Facebook the amount of posts from people about other people doing what they perceived as wrong was incredible. Almost all of them started with the likes of “ I was down in Greystones and the amount of people I saw........”
    It was ALWAYS ok for them to be there though, that was ok.
    I remember early on I was out for a walk with my wife and daughter when we met an older lady who was in tears because a couple who had just passed her had ripped into her for being out when she was over 70 (she wasn’t) The poor woman was distraught and just wanted to to go for a walk but this couple just had to show how righteous they were.

For you to call people “selfish arseholes” is ridiculous. I followed all the rules the last time and will this time, however to say that we can’t question these rules is very very strange. Please don’t be so sanctimonious about this.

“Sanctimonious”? Spare me. I’m again stuck unable to help my 70+ parents who live in a remote part of the country because the “selfish type” who are on here arguing that rules shouldn’t apply to them cause they’re different are the same selfish type who felt rules didn’t apply to them and spread this virus all over the country again.

If I am sanctimonious and if I am a self righteous spiteful person, I’d rather be that than someone who makes excuses for the people who put us back in this position.

Also, I never said we couldn’t question government policy, I have a child and wife who have been forced to continue in school with questionable support from the HSE and DoE. I’m definitely questioning that

I find your presumption that I’m some self-righteous, boot licker or curtain twitcher sanctimonious tbh.

As with last time this happened, this whole thread is pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Just because you're a "frontline worker", doesn't mean you have automatic higher moral authority pal. So enough with the Healy Rae/selfish citizens jibes, ok? Reasoned argument works best for me.

Cycling, and exercise in general, is good for everyone's mental health as well as their physical health. Helps get people through what is the strangest period in all our lives. I'm lucky to live in the sticks in Kildare where I can cycle on empty roads with little or no pedestrians and only occasional passing cars. I'm in my own "social bubble" when out cycling, alone, with no one near me. So I'm using my own personal judgement (that's what people of my generation use btw, and its worked well for me up to now) to ensure my safety, and my kids safety as I don't want to catch Covid and pass it to them. Making someone who lives in Dublin (where I'm from originally) stay within 5kms of their home precludes them from cycling to more rural spots away from the general population. I could understand group/club rides being a possible Covid risk but a lone cyclist on his/her own is no risk to anyone.

I'm about to head out for a 40km spin, before the new distance limit kicks in tonight. I'll count the number of pedestrians I pass and post it up here later. Doubt it'll be more than 5 but one never knows.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement