Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tiling and self levelling and concrete repair

• 18-10-2020 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I’m about to tile a very small
    Wc flow (1.3x0.8m). Subfloor is solid concrete and is by and large quite level. In any case I plan to pour a dose of self levelling compound over the area
    Just to give a perfect base for tiling.

I have two questions

1) what’s best way to repair deeper localised low spots (like a little chunk missing) where I understand it to be too deep for self leveller?

2) once level, for such a small area, I didn’t think it necessary to put any membrane (decoupler) down before tiles so just planning adhesive and tiling onto of th new levelled surface! Is this the right way to go?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

What is the purpose of the membrane?

Personally I would consider:
    - Filling depressions with tile adhesive (depending on size). If very large cement should be used.
    - Putting down cement board. This can also be held in place with tile adhesive.
    - Use flexible grout and adhesive.

Advantages:
    1) Cement board will insulate the floor.
    2) This will level the floor.
    3) Cement board is 100% water proof.

Cement board is available in a range of thickness and 8 x 4 sheets.

If the floor needs to be water proofed then tank on top of cement board and as far up the walls as required.

Advertisement