Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need a Long 3.5mm Hex Bolt

• 18-10-2020 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭

Checked in B&Q and Woodies but all their 3/3.5mms are too short, I need one thats at least 4 cm long, pref. 5cm long, where would you go about ordering an unusual size like that or do they even exist?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shane b

3.5 x 50 mm bolts exist but I found hardware stores dont stock stuff smaller than 5 mm in general. I'd be trying a engineering or industrial supplies place. They could be classed as machine screws. Ebay is also worth a try if only wanting a few and in no panic.
    Also as far as I know the screws for holding electrical sockets in place are 3.5 mm if your really stuck. They wouldn't be that strong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Use these in work a lot, I will check what suppliers we get them from tomorrow and can post here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Thargor wrote: »
    Checked in B&Q and Woodies but all their 3/3.5mms are too short, I need one thats at least 4 cm long, pref. 5cm long, where would you go about ordering an unusual size like that or do they even exist?

try kays fixings on ebay, i bought a few bits from them before,
    not a great range of stock in the shops

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/kaysfasteners/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Okay thanks all, as long as I know they exist Ill keep looking.
    salamiii wrote: »
    Hmmm theres one right down the road from me in Limerick, Ill go in for a look, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Hmmm theres one right down the road from me in Limerick, Ill go in for a look, thanks.
    Wurth a try :pac: im done #MicDrop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Try Dublin nut and bolt in Ballymount https://dublinboltandnut.com/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Are Wurth stores Trade only?

You'll get long 3.5mm socket screws in a wholesaler,
    not a hexbolt I know but might do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

I chanced upon this place a couple of years ago - Its basically a nuts and bolts Mecca in Limerick - Just off the Dock Rd.

Hassets.ie

Hassett Nut & Bolt is Ireland's leading supplier of Industrial Fasteners.
    Thomas Hassett Ironmonger Ltd now trading as Hassett Nut & Bolt has been selling fasteners since 1887. We lead the way in terms of professional experience, service and technical focus.

Call us to shop at 061 227577. We also have a full illustrated stock list available for download in pdf. In it you will find everything that we sell including nuts and bolts in grades 8.8, 10.9, 12.9, mild steel and other materials. We stock many different fasteners including steel rivets, pop rivets, wood screws, socket head cap screws, grub screws, bolts and nuts in various metals including stainless steel, brass, nylon and other metals and coatings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Try Dublin nut and bolt in Ballymount https://dublinboltandnut.com/index.html

Used this place multiple times, also Tucks Fastners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Mango Joe wrote: »
    I chanced upon this place a couple of years ago - Its basically a nuts and bolts Mecca in Limerick - Just off the Dock Rd.

Hassets.ie

Hassett Nut & Bolt is Ireland's leading supplier of Industrial Fasteners.
    Thomas Hassett Ironmonger Ltd now trading as Hassett Nut & Bolt has been selling fasteners since 1887. We lead the way in terms of professional experience, service and technical focus.

Call us to shop at 061 227577. We also have a full illustrated stock list available for download in pdf. In it you will find everything that we sell including nuts and bolts in grades 8.8, 10.9, 12.9, mild steel and other materials. We stock many different fasteners including steel rivets, pop rivets, wood screws, socket head cap screws, grub screws, bolts and nuts in various metals including stainless steel, brass, nylon and other metals and coatings.
    Thats handy to know, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

If you're badly stuck buy threaded rod in the size you need - its usually one metre long - and cut whatever length you need off.

You'll need to file the cut end to let the nut go on easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Stephenc66

As already mentioned Hassett's would be my first call great selection of stock and very helpful. Joe McKenna on Parnell St might be worth a try as well they carry a reasonable range of fasteners

Advertisement