Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are many people being overly self indulgent in terms of the depression/gloom?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Yes, it is very hard on them. It's a very unfortunate situation.

There are no other options to protect nursing homes other than restrict visits.

You have posters here who want it both ways "isn't it terrible some are depressed by the actions of the authorities", same posters would slam the authorities for major outbreaks in nursing homes.

There is no other option currently. Our oldest are highly vulnerable, they have to be protected.

Oh, I know. I'm a carer and I've locked the front door. No one is allowed in ATM. That goes for my fiancé, too. A few weeks ago I was getting earache from people telling me I was being cruel not bringing Dad out for a meal and a pint. I had siblings sneering at me for insisting they keep 2 metres from him and wear a mask. As you say, people want it both ways. And they want restrictions but not ones they have to follow. This is why we are in this mess. Our health service is on the verge of toppling ( I witnessed this first hand this week) and that will effect everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

pgj2015 wrote: »
    The way to look at it is there are people who have it way tougher than you.

I just saw a youtube video about a prisoner who has been locked up since 1974.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britains-most-dangerous-prisoner-entombed-22559359

I know you are trying to be helpful but I’m obviously 100% aware that people have it way tougher than me. I cant go into detail about what I do but it has an impact on people & I worry about that. So I’m not in a position to shrug it off with it could be worse for me, it’s not about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

What are you saying?

Honestly, human existence is suffering. That was true before covid. It is true during covid and it will be true after it has gone.

But in the midst of this suffering, we have our up moments. Whether it be going to a game, heading to the cinema or heading for a night on the town or just being able to look forward to something.

What are you actually saying in your original post? That people when presented with a life devoid of social interaction should just get over it?

First world problem is such an awful phrase BTW. It's a funny meme phrase to describe everyday modern world annoyances and gripes it's not applicable to being deprived of basic human needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

Obviously there are many many people who are being heavily impacted by Covid19 and it cannot be easy for those people. Financial impacts, Services impacts, Healthcare impacts, Employment impacts, Bereavement etc.

But it strikes me that many other people have been relatively unaffected and yet are being overly self indulgent on the depression/gloom stakes and woe-is-me rhetoric. Especially on social media. They are showing a distinct lack of resilience and fortitude.

The media and George Lee types are certainly selling the wartime-like doom and gloom and maybe many people have bought into that a bit too much even if it's not always warranted. Others have nearly welcomed the new slower way of life but probably wont admit it.

I listened to someone the other day saying he was really annoyed that he couldn't go to the cinema anymore. That he really missed it. Giving out about the Bond movie being pushed out to 2021 etc. Maybe that would have been a major lifestyle change in times gone by but now people have massive TVs and Netflix and Sky and whatever else. And you can buy popcorn anywhere. It's not the end of the world.

Others were bemoaning the restaurants closing and yet they can order Italian, Indian, Chinese, Burger/Chips from more outlets than ever.

Soon people will be panicking about the retail shops closing when they can satisfy their consumerism online. I am not sure those same people have much empathy for the business owners or their staff who are taking the real hit. No retail therapy for them.

I guess for those people that kept their jobs (and possibly the luxury of work-from-home) and their family members are healthy/safe, there really shouldn't be much to get down about.

I've 3 friends who have lost there jobs indefinitely. I work with a mix of 6 contractors in a wealthy multinational, 3 if these people are being let on Dec 31s. My friend's son (my godchild) was born a couple of months ago- he hasn't been able to attend appointments.

Myself and my fiancee are to marry this weekend - we're on our 3rd venue and 2nd date due to rolling and changing restrictions. The stress has not been worth getting married with any reception at all.

I've seen entrepreneurs and small businesses who actual drive economic activity and wealth for this country close. See here.
    It's very difficult to relight this type of drive in people.

The sensationalist headlines focusing on case numbers and NPHET (who's sole objective is to eliminate COVID) lead to mass public ignorance and fear.

With an infection fatality rate of .23% and .05% for those aged <70 (WHO peer reviewed data) and our career civil servants in NPHET issuing press releases, I can understand why anyone regardless of circumstances would be pissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ande1975

I kept my job and can work from home, but I lost my mother. If given a choice, I know which I would rather have lost.

I am sorry and have sympathy for those who have lost jobs / income. But they are receiving financial help and new jobs will be found. The economy will recover.

I guess it depends on your perspective. Burying someone you love before their time and not allowed to have a proper funeral to see them on their way will colour your perspective.

The thing that is depressing me is other people's lax attitude towards Covid, usually by those who believe themselves invulnerable to it or that its "just a mild flu."

Some one mentioned people n care homes being depressed, of course they are. Because they can't see their loved ones, and why not? Because of other people being irresponsible idiots who think they can do what they like and ignore the restrictions. Refuse to wear masks.

I cried my eyes out when I heard of the deaths in a nursing home this week. These people are thee most vulnerable of all, and I don't care if some people think "oh, they're going to die soon anyway" that their lives are worth gambling with for the sake of saving jobs.

Probably some ****wit who'd been at a houseparty the weekend before then visited a relative who carried Covid back into that nursing home.

I am so very sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how difficult it has been for you and your family during the pandemic.
    Knowing how hard it is to lose a parent at the best of times, my heart breaks for people losing loved ones this year. You miss out on the important events, ceremonies and support to help you through your grief.
    Take care of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭smck321

NPHET are being overly self-indulgent, not a chance one single member will find ever themselves compromised on the PUP. While they inflict hundreds of thousands of involuntary job losses. There are also a few corners of the public sector that are untouchable. The rest of us are forced to scramble by.

And I have little sympathy for the whinge baskets who can work from home with salaries unimpacted.

You talk about NPHET as if they invented covid. You are aware they didn't right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am not sure that people get the purpose of this thread. Was my original post confusing?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I am not sure that people get the purpose of this thread. Was my original post confusing?

I guess the way you phrase it could be interpreted differently based on one's circumstances.

It's interesting you mentioned the example of someone complaining about going to the cinema.
    For me it would be one of the main entertainment outlets, along with theatre, concerts and playing table tennis. Obviously I understand the necessity of them remaining closed for the time being and I wouldn't complain online, I do miss them though and really looking forward to having them back (hopefully some time next year).
    The WFH aspect also had the negative effect of losing the social aspect of being at the office. I live on my own, so my personal prism means that I went from a very socially active lifestyle to one of lots of alone time. I know technology is there but personally I don't find it as meaningful as seeing my friends in the flesh, and the novelty of it has worn thin long ago. Still use it of course, as otherwise I wouldn't have anyone to talk to

I guess to your point of OP, I wouldn't be very quick to judge anyone complaining online, even if it is something really petty. I don't know what these people might be going through behind their trivial "first world" complains, so I reckon some empathy could go a long way under the current circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I've noticed friends of mine who were determinedly cheery and stoic for the March lockdown have started to let the heads drop a bit now. Hard to maintain that kind of facade when you see yourself back where you were 6 months ago with nothing to show for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I have to say: they mentioned barbers in possible closures in the upcoming new restrictions,. I personally would support the continued opening of barbers(I mention barbers in particular because it is my only experience)my 'guy' wont take us in for a haircut without an appointment/booking, only myself and himself in the barber shop and he cleans and disinfects between each booking. I must wear a mask. I genuinely don't see a problem!?
    Of course it'll be what it will be, I myself only get a haircut every 4 weeks or longer so it probably wont effect me. So just saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

But it strikes me that many other people have been relatively unaffected and yet are being overly self indulgent on the depression/gloom stakes and woe-is-me rhetoric. Especially on social media. They are showing a distinct lack of resilience and fortitude.

you have described me tbh with the exception of social media. Financially I'm better off and I love wfh in fact i'll be looking at remote work forever if possible.

But I'm also not a dickhead and I can see beyond the hall door. My friends and family are suffering , my mate was over on sat and he is now on PUP again - he has a wife and small kids - why can't I be p1ssed off for him?

Although I'm not in the sh1tter, my life has been impacted - gyms closed and now closed again (i assume) - I miss nights out . My wife and kids activities have been curtailed dramatically. There have limited GAA but the other stuff hasn't happened since march.

I take issue with people who seem to belittle others complaints on the state of Ireland, you may be happy to suffer on but don't project that on us all.

Advertisement