Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify this Acer

Options
  • 18-10-2020 4:40pm

This Acer has excellent Autumn colour. They are planted outside Woodies in Newbridge and along the M9 at the Kilcullen exit.

I love the autumn color (the pictures don't do it justice at all); does anyone know the specific variety of acer?

529725.JPG

529726.JPG

529727.JPG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭RachelsCousin

Looks like a Norway maple (acer platanoides).
    Are there any seeds on it? They'd look similar to on a sycamore if there are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

First thoughts Norway maple as above but from the colour I did think Sugar maple. They often get confused.

Hard call ideally I'd like to see the samara (winged seeds) to be 100%. They are very different in Norway maple the wings are almost straight across but on Sugar maple they are bent nearly to 90 degrees.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭RachelsCousin

Yes, the samara (I've learned a new word today!) would definitely make it clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭standardg60

Would very much doubt they're anything other than platanoides, saccharum would be pretty rare here, especially in a streetscape.
    Autumn colour is very dependent on weather conditions anyway, so one years colour is not guaranteed to be repeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Would very much doubt they're anything other than platanoides, saccharum would be pretty rare here, especially in a streetscape.
    Autumn colour is very dependent on weather conditions anyway, so one years colour is not guaranteed to be repeated.

I've just looked it up in Michell's (Tree's of Britain and Northern Europe) and I just can't make it platanoides which I always think of as having a far chunkier leaf. Its sugar maple for me.

A bit of googling came up with this https://www.waterfordcitizens.org/activities/beautification/waterford-trees/maple-trees/ which seems to confirm it for me.

One thing I did find strange is that the three buds you can see on the node on the leaf picture but I think that is just an oddity.

But still happy for proof its not Acer saccharum.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭standardg60

I've just looked it up in Michell's (Tree's of Britain and Northern Europe) and I just can't make it platanoides which I always think of as having a far chunkier leaf. Its sugar maple for me.

A bit of googling came up with this https://www.waterfordcitizens.org/activities/beautification/waterford-trees/maple-trees/ which seems to confirm it for me.

One thing I did find strange is that the three buds you can see on the node on the leaf picture but I think that is just an oddity.

But still happy for proof its not Acer saccharum.

You surf well sir.
    Looking at the pics again the leaves are a bit more deeply divided and the bark a bit greyer than i'd expect for platanoides, but yes the samara would confirm it. Would certainly be nice to see more saccharum planted.

Advertisement