Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laughing in inappropriate situations

• 18-10-2020 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭

I snuck out from my fathers wake for a grief shag and when I got back got all the “so where did you sneak off to” I asked do I like like the type that would sneak out for a grief shag? “ there was a seconds silence (around the coffin) before the family got the giggles over the term they had never heard before

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I was an apprentice in the Defence Forces and we were sitting in class one day and our instructor,a former soldier, was droning on and on and we were all bored and someone asked him a question about his family,asa diversion,as we all knew that he'd go off on a tangent for ages. He was telling us about his mother, who had died when he was young and came out with the line "she got a kick from a horse and died" and I happened at that moment to glance at a friend seated two seats away and we just lost it. I had my fist crammed in my gob to stop laughing out loud and the instructor thought we were in tears out of sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

At an old GFs house years ago. It was Christmas time and we were watching telly with her parents: a more dour and humourless pair you could not meet.

Only fools and Horses came on, the one with the exploding blow-up dolls. Mammy and Daddy sat there like disgusted statues as I was in gales of laughter, firstly at the show but then at them and the big frowny heads on them. I couldn't stop (I had drink taken) and my belly was actually sore the next day.
    I wasn't invited back there again anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

At an old GFs house years ago. It was Christmas time and we were watching telly with her parents: a more dour and humourless pair you could not meet.

Only fools and Horses came on, the one with the exploding blow-up dolls. Mammy and Daddy sat there like disgusted statues as I was in gales of laughter, firstly at the show but then at them and the big frowny heads on them. I couldn't stop (I had drink taken) and my belly was actually sore the next day.
    I wasn't invited back there again anyway.
    Did you marry her?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Did you marry her?
    No just a brief romance, she was a bit too much like her Ma and Da tbh. You need to be able to have a bit laugh with each other or things will get stale very quick. For me anyway.
    Maybe very serious people work well together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

A taxi driver in his 60s was telling me about his brother. I'd never spoken to this man before in my life, the driver. He was telling me how the brother had loads of mental health issues when he was younger and one of the treatments he received was electroconvulsive therapy. And I said accidentally, 'Yeah it's shocking what they used to do' and spent the next five minutes trying - and failing - to not laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

A few years ago, someone close to me tried to take his own life. I was the one who found him and brought him to hospital. It was probably the least funny thing I've ever experienced. After a few hours getting patched up in A&E, they decided to keep him in overnight as a precaution. By this stage, a couple of other family members had turned up. As we were leaving, they were hugging him, telling him everything will be ok, etc. It was a bit surreal because we're not a very touchy-feely family. Anyway, when everyone else was out of earshot, I went over to hug him. But I held back at the last second and whispered into his ear "Couldn't even do that right, you useless cunt". I couldn't help it, I just didn't know what else to say. Anyway, he found it hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭20/20

.anon. wrote: »
    A few years ago, someone close to me tried to take his own life.

whispered into his ear "Couldn't even do that right, you useless cunt"..

Jesus Christ

20/20 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ

I didn't mean it. I just felt it was more in keeping with how we usually speak to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

I find the whole "fungi is missing" situation quite amusing but by jesus a lot of people are taking it VERY seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I remember an apprentice doing an oral test once and he mentioned a number of times about the importance of greasing the rachet. The instructor then asked him
    "What exactly is a rachet?"
    The lad beside me whispered " Its smaller than a cat **** and bigger than a mouse ****"
    I nearly pissed myself trying not to laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭lucalux

Went to a funeral once, the grandmother of someone I knew.
    He spent the whole mass making faces at me from the family pew, and smirking at the priest, (who we were pretty sure was drunk).
    I was in one of the side sections of the church, facing him basically, and I ended up in fits of giggles at him, and the inappropriateness of it all.

I was wearing a massive scarf thankfully, so I buried my face in it and tried my absolute best to stop myself from visibly shaking.

Still to this day his mother and family think I'm the worst person that ever walked the Earth. I couldn't very well blame him either, I try to avoid funerals now, as I'm a bit of a loose cannon with the laughter. Difficult situations can set me off, and I don't want to be that person!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

.anon. wrote: »
    I didn't mean it. I just felt it was more in keeping with how we usually speak to each other.

I love that dark sense of humour as do my brothers but not many do !

I love that dark sense of humour as do my brothers but not many do !

When I was bringing the gifts to the altar at my mother's funeral, my brother discreetly stuck his foot out to try and trip me.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jaysus Christ.

Was at a funeral of a business man who had a good few branches around the country when the fella who got up to say a few words said that like an octopus’s testicles his business reached far an wide. The whole church could be hear in muffled laughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

A friend of mine, a fireman, saved a suicidal guy in the throes of an overdoseand when the guy's family came around to see him in hospital, the brother took one look at him and sez "amateur!" out loud to yer man. Doctor threw a wobbly but everyone else laughed.

Advertisement