Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift ideas for a 5 year who loves climbing??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I've no idea about the brick walls but my mum put together a climbing ramp for the grandkids with those and it did work well. Not sure about vertical though!!

Whats your budget? Trampoline?

I got https://nimblefingers.ie/products/tp-toys-explorer-frame-den-platform during lockdown for my two. My youngest wasn't two yet so we had it at the lower level which he was fine with. Next summer we'll likely get the slide https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/tp-explorer-frame-den-platform-crazywave-slide/1600450209.prd though i think I'll have to wait on the monkeybars!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

R11 wrote: »
    My 5 year old has endless amount of energy and will try climb on virtually everything! He has Sensory Processing Disorder and is a "crash,bang,wallop" sort of a boy who loves diving,tumbling,running etc. We got him an indoor Gorilla Gym which he enjoys . Now we're looking for ideas for Christmas. I was thinking of getting something like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Odoland-Textured-Climbing-Installation-Multi-Coloured/dp/B07D8SDZX1/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=wall+climbing&qid=1603051806&sr=8-13 and putting them on our side wall but not sure if the fixings are suitable for brick walls(could always buy screws).
    Anyone got any other ideas for my little adventurer?!

Same problem same child’s age. We have him in therapy. We were advised to get him a trampoline, and try get him to burn off steam. The Conectik sand works although would suggest getting a mad for it as that stuff goes everywhere. We got a sensory light from Amazon also.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭R11

Same problem same child’s age. We have him in therapy. We were advised to get him a trampoline, and try get him to burn off steam. The Conectik sand works although would suggest getting a mad for it as that stuff goes everywhere. We got a sensory light from Amazon also.

My son has completed 20 sessions of OT..... They recommended a break for a few months now but we don't know if we'll go back as there hasn't been much of a difference. But we'll see. I ordered those climbing moulds above so they'll be good for him.

My son has completed 20 sessions of OT..... They recommended a break for a few months now but we don't know if we'll go back as there hasn't been much of a difference. But we'll see. I ordered those climbing moulds above so they'll be good for him.

We current use the sensory light from Amazon and it works wonders you can play calm music etc, a bit like a sensory room it’s relaxing for bedtime.

We current use the sensory light from Amazon and it works wonders you can play calm music etc, a bit like a sensory room it’s relaxing for bedtime.

Yeh,we were thinking of getting one of them as he tends to do a lot of "arsing around" at bedtime! Can you put up a link to the one you got?Is it pre programmed music?

• Advertisement

Yeh,we were thinking of getting one of them as he tends to do a lot of "arsing around" at bedtime! Can you put up a link to the one you got?Is it pre programmed music?

Completely understand, It works of Bluetooth and you can play relaxing music from spotify or soundcloud. Spotify would probably be the best as it has no adds. The Bluetooth plays everything. You get a remote too for it.

Delicacy LED Star Light Projector, Rotating Ocean Wave Night Lights, Nebula Projector Lamp, Colour Changing Music Player with Bluetooth & Timer & Remote Control, for Kids Adults Room Home Decoration
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0811R8GVP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_oowXFbXWHWD7N?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Completely understand, It works of Bluetooth and you can play relaxing music from spotify or soundcloud. Spotify would probably be the best as it has no adds. The Bluetooth plays everything. You get a remote too for it.

Delicacy LED Star Light Projector, Rotating Ocean Wave Night Lights, Nebula Projector Lamp, Colour Changing Music Player with Bluetooth & Timer & Remote Control, for Kids Adults Room Home Decoration
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0811R8GVP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_oowXFbXWHWD7N?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Looks great....so could I play music on my phone while sitting downstairs but it only plays in his room?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Would he like a weighted blanket? I've taught a couple of kids with SPD who enjoyed the heavier pressure of it. You can get some nice hanging hammock chairs on Amazon (like a big net really rather than a chair) which he might like too. One of my lads was a fan of spinning around and spent hours in the thing at home!

Would he like a weighted blanket? I've taught a couple of kids with SPD who enjoyed the heavier pressure of it. You can get some nice hanging hammock chairs on Amazon (like a big net really rather than a chair) which he might like too. One of my lads was a fan of spinning around and spent hours in the thing at home!

Out OT said to avoid the weighted blanket as they were dangerous, something about his body heating up too quickly(they said it to my wife). The hammock thing is interesting, he loves his gorilla gym but we dont have much room for a hammock chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Out OT said to avoid the weighted blanket as they were dangerous, something about his body heating up too quickly(they said it to my wife). The hammock thing is interesting, he loves his gorilla gym but we dont have much room for a hammock chair.

Ah that's interesting to know about the blankets, it was something that the kids had at home.

The hammock looked a bit like this: https://www.amazon.com/SAVOIZ-Indoor-Therapy-Swing-Reversible/dp/B08FKW5T12/ref=mp_s_a_1_44?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Hammocks&qid=1606773568&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-44&ts_id=13881881
    It came with some kind of ceiling hook so you clip and unclip it as needed. You do need to put the hook up into the ceiling though so I guess you'd need to check all that out first?

• Advertisement

Looks great....so could I play music on my phone while sitting downstairs but it only plays in his room?

Exactly!

Ah that's interesting to know about the blankets, it was something that the kids had at home.

The hammock looked a bit like this: https://www.amazon.com/SAVOIZ-Indoor-Therapy-Swing-Reversible/dp/B08FKW5T12/ref=mp_s_a_1_44?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Hammocks&qid=1606773568&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-44&ts_id=13881881
    It came with some kind of ceiling hook so you clip and unclip it as needed. You do need to put the hook up into the ceiling though so I guess you'd need to check all that out first?

I got the 5kilo blanket he hated the feel of it so I had to get a 3kilo blanket with a fluffy type of texture to it.

I got the 5kilo blanket he hated the feel of it so I had to get a 3kilo blanket with a fluffy type of texture to it.

Yeh, my fella is very tactile and sensory in that regard, loves our normal fluffy blanket. But I'm wary of the weighted ones.

Yeh, my fella is very tactile and sensory in that regard, loves our normal fluffy blanket. But I'm wary of the weighted ones.

A fluffy teddy, fluffy pjs and the same with the 3kilo blanket. Covid has really messed his routine up.

A fluffy teddy, fluffy pjs and the same with the 3kilo blanket. Covid has really messed his routine up.

He has his teddy and fluffy pj's! Bedtime is not really his worst time. Once he finishes arsing around, brushing teeth etc, we read a story then he draws in a copy or just talks to himself for a bit. Once he falls asleep, he's gone until morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Id be getting him on a climbing wall as soon as hes able, he could love it, and stick with it as he gets older, might help with anxiety issues, what's the story with spd?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Id be getting him on a climbing wall as soon as hes able, he could love it, and stick with it as he gets older, might help with anxiety issues, what's the story with spd?

Yeh, we got him those climbing moulds to attach to our side wall. There's a place in Dublin that's supposed to be good, lots of climbing walls etc so we might go there over Christmas.
    SPD is sensory processing disorder. He's impulsive, full of energy, lacks self regulation, no awareness of danger to himself or others and loves climbing on absolutely everything. We're looking into further assessment as he may have adhd, Dyspraxia or some other condition that's co-morbid with SPD.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yeh, we got him those climbing moulds to attach to our side wall. There's a place in Dublin that's supposed to be good, lots of climbing walls etc so we might go there over Christmas.
    SPD is sensory processing disorder. He's impulsive, full of energy, lacks self regulation, no awareness of danger to himself or others and loves climbing on absolutely everything. We're looking into further assessment as he may have adhd, Dyspraxia or some other condition that's co-morbid with SPD.

best of luck with it, im autistic myself, with add and dyslexia, a day on a climbing wall would be a great fun family day, and it could grow his interest in climbing, safely of course. starting young on a wall could set him up to become exceptional as he gets older, it would also give him a positive outlet for any anxiety issues he may have growing up.

He has his teddy and fluffy pj's! Bedtime is not really his worst time. Once he finishes arsing around, brushing teeth etc, we read a story then he draws in a copy or just talks to himself for a bit. Once he falls asleep, he's gone until morning.

Drawing is a major thing now with my son, and painting

Really!? Bedtime and Sleep is a nightmare every night at rough 3-5 he’s up shouting the house down.

My son suffers with they exact same, Dyspraxia and SPD. I’ve never heard of these until 5 months ago, now I’m reading into it everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

A Ladder ?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    A Ladder ?

What? Why are saying “a ladder” for?

My son suffers with they exact same, Dyspraxia and SPD. I’ve never heard of these until 5 months ago, now I’m reading into it everyday.

My son climbs on everything, he's a real adventurer. No fear either.... Which is not necessarily a good thing. So that's why I got those climbing moulds for our side wall, hopefully stop him climbing up every tree in our estate!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

My son also has SPD, I do yoga every morning with him, simple moves like childs pose etc....some great ideas on YouTube, really calms him and centres him for the morning. Sometimes it's not just the high intensity activities that work, heavy lifting, like a 2kg say, and get him to carry it to the couch then back out to kitchen, then up the stairs etc.... Also have a peanut shaped gym ball, we do exercises on that, you can get one that is right size for him. Also have bucket spin chair from ikea, balance boards are good too, we find go noodle on youtube great for a dance and a boogie burns off lots of energy.
    Trampoline out back, and climbing frame, almost daily trips to playground, or just open green and go running. Endless energy!!!!!

Coopaloop wrote: »
    My son also has SPD, I do yoga every morning with him, simple moves like childs pose etc....some great ideas on YouTube, really calms him and centres him for the morning. Sometimes it's not just the high intensity activities that work, heavy lifting, like a 2kg say, and get him to carry it to the couch then back out to kitchen, then up the stairs etc.... Also have a peanut shaped gym ball, we do exercises on that, you can get one that is right size for him. Also have bucket spin chair from ikea, balance boards are good too, we find go noodle on youtube great for a dance and a boogie burns off lots of energy.
    Trampoline out back, and climbing frame, almost daily trips to playground, or just open green and go running. Endless energy!!!!!

I never thought of that, IKEA is not to far from me, that’s bucket chair sounds like a great idea. Thank you I’ll definitely pick one of those up.

There is massage rollers in the decathlon next door where I bought massage rollers for myself. Helps a lot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

I never thought of that, IKEA is not to far from me, that’s bucket chair sounds like a great idea. Thank you I’ll definitely pick one of those up.

There is massage rollers in the decathlon next door where I bought massage rollers for myself. Helps a lot too.

IKEA actually have lots of great sensory things, tunnel tubes, little tents, all great for spd.
    Oh yes, have those massage rollers, got them in tiger. Oh, a skate board but totally flat and wider (cant think of the name of them) but u get on it belly down and use hands to move about the room. Great fun.

These....https://www.sensationalkids.ie/product/scooter-board/

Great website too for ideas.

Advertisement