Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pea gravel on soil

Options
  • 18-10-2020 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Recently moved into a property and trying to tackle the garden.

The last owner I think had a very nice garden but neglect has led to lots of weeds and wild plants. The garden used to have a layer of pea gravel all over it and there are some shrubs and plants coming up through plus tonnes of weeds.

While I am weeding the garden I am also making a bit of a mess of this gravel, it's getting into the soil a bit and not as aesthetic as it was.

Just wondering would it be detrimental to the soil if I was to just use a soil sieve and try get rid of the bulk of the gravel? I have an idea in my head to weed it, do some planting and put down bark mulch. Should I just leave the gravel or remove?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

What size are the gravel chips? Would it be an idea to dig the gravel into the soil to improve drainage which gets rid of it at the same time. I spent a fortune adding horticulture gravel to my soil this year, it could be a blessing in disguise!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

What size are the gravel chips? Would it be an idea to dig the gravel into the soil to improve drainage which gets rid of it at the same time. I spent a fortune adding horticulture gravel to my soil this year, it could be a blessing in disguise!

They're probably about 5mm in size. Yeah I think you're right. I think it's just the garden is bare now after the weeding it just looks bad anyway. Leave them to blend in and mix with the soil

Advertisement