Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

NcdJd wrote: »
    Looks like poor Punxsutawney Phil's days are numbered if Peta get their way..

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/28/us/peta-punxsutawney-phil-ai-groundhog-trnd/index.html

As I suspected - this answers Fungi and his long career as a tourist celebrity. An Animatronic Dolphin - and its not that he's disappeared- its just his batteries have run out ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

It'd be like Atlantic 252 in the mornings.

Remember spending a Summer on a Silage Making team back in the early nineties,was on the buckrake….would have Atlantic 252 blasting out on the radio and oul lads on the pit giving out to ya that that 'feckin music' was too loud......legend of a station.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Remember dont forget to talk to your cows

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/15/world/cows-cattle-communication-scn/index.html

That said I'm fairly surprised I haven't been locked up yet - as I seem to be having more conversations with animals atm than anyone else ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Remember spending a Summer on a Silage Making team back in the early nineties,was on the buckrake….would have Atlantic 252 blasting out on the radio and oul lads on the pit giving out to ya that that 'feckin music' was too loud......legend of a station.

I remember going to secondary school in a minibus and Atlantic 252 on the radio in the mornings.
    There was one stage for a fortnight the same song was played at the same time every morning.
    You'd know if you were early or late by how far you were on the road when the song came on.
    I forget what it was now. Something from Oasis I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

gozunda wrote: »
    Remember dont forget to talk to your cows

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/15/world/cows-cattle-communication-scn/index.html

That said I'm fairly surprised I haven't been locked up yet - as I seem to be having more conversations with animals atm than anyone else ;)

Do any of ye name any of your cows or cattle ? A friend of mined name her goldfish after me. Was kinda chuffed over that. I talk to plants sometimes but it's more like "ffs" after some pest or disease is after appearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I cut the tails of some cows today, as they were eating.
    After I'd cut one cow, I spotted her in the yard holding the tail up to one side and she staring at it. Made me laugh anyway.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

My brother used to work for a grain farmer when he was younger and the farmer used to get the radios removed before they were delivered out. Maintained they would not be paying attention to sowing or ploughing if they were listening to the local rave station:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The Dutch Minister for Agriculture wants a ban on calves coming from Ireland, Denmark, the Czech Republic and the Baltic States. We exported 48,000 calves this year to the Netherlands. Unfortunately the article is subscriber only.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/dutch-farm-minister-wants-to-ban-irish-calves-580369

Base price wrote: »
    The Dutch Minister for Agriculture wants a ban on calves coming from Ireland, Denmark, the Czech Republic and the Baltic States. We exported 48,000 calves this year to the Netherlands. Unfortunately the article is subscriber only.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/dutch-farm-minister-wants-to-ban-irish-calves-580369

It's on agriland Base. We should ban their Onion, Tomato and Bell Pepper imports and produce them here so if she wants to go the whole hog on sustainability.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Are those state's singled out for any particular reason or are they just them main exporters of calves to the Netherlands? The clock has been ticking for years on live exports, particularly of calves and there's very little other outlets available atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Are those state's singled out for any particular reason or are they just them main exporters of calves to the Netherlands? The clock has been ticking for years on live exports, particularly of calves and there's very little other outlets available atm.
    Apparently it's due to the distance/journey times even though they comply with current EU legislation.
    Link to Agriland article -
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/dutch-agriculture-minister-seeks-ban-on-irish-calves/

Apparently it's due to the distance/journey times even though they comply with current EU legislation.
    Link to Agriland article -
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/dutch-agriculture-minister-seeks-ban-on-irish-calves/

The Minister is a member of the Christian Union party.
    It's their version of the Green Party.

They were trying to set up a green party in Holland but it was a paper exercise into forcing people to set up the Christian Union party and the founders of the Greens joined into the CU's.
    They pride themselves on their Protestant values. While being part of the EU they like their own independence and autonomy of the EU.

Minister Schouten grew up on a dairy farm and managed her deceased fathers farm with her mother and two sisters for four years after which they ceased farming and moved to the village of Geissen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Just got a text from the Limousin Society, Paul Sykes will continue in his role as secretary.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

In the shed today, have a lovely lm heifer weanling off a spx cow- she normally has polled calves. No sign of horns when I was disbudding, she has a pair of butty ones now. You’d barely notice them but too big to do anything with them.

Probably spring before I get vet to knock them off. He is coming out tomorrow to scan but When she is housed I won’t bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭kk.man

I remember going to secondary school in a minibus and Atlantic 252 on the radio in the mornings.
    There was one stage for a fortnight the same song was played at the same time every morning.
    You'd know if you were early or late by how far you were on the road when the song came on.
    I forget what it was now. Something from Oasis I think.
    Loved Athantic 252 and Radio Luxembourg great times and music. The tripe they play on the radio now does my head in. I suppose it's age.

In the shed today, have a lovely lm heifer weanling off a spx cow- she normally has polled calves. No sign of horns when I was disbudding, she has a pair of butty ones now. You’d barely notice them but too big to do anything with them.

Probably spring before I get vet to knock them off. He is coming out tomorrow to scan but When she is housed I won’t bother.

I find the LM calves can be very slow to put up horns compared to other breeds. I tagged a very wild LM suck for neighbor during the week and there were no horn buds present despite being off a LMx cow nd LM bull. It often takes them 2 months or more to develop horn's and oftentimes they can be too developed at the stage you notice them.

I find the LM calves can be very slow to put up horns compared to other breeds. I tagged a very wild LM suck for neighbor during the week and there were no horn buds present despite being off a LMx cow nd LM bull. It often takes them 2 months or more to develop horn's and oftentimes they can be too developed at the stage you notice them.

When all the Previous siblings were polled, I thought I was lucky again when I checked her. Not so much today.

When all the Previous siblings were polled, I thought I was lucky again when I checked her. Not so much today.

Yes genetics really are a lottery and it's not the end of the world either way. I've often had sucks displaying no horn buds at turnout when disbudding there similar aged comrade's. Of course I'd mean to check them in a few weeks and they'd be forgotten about until the horn's were evident and by then it's too late.

What's yours is mine and ..all mine.

From a member of the World Economic Forum 2016.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/11/shopping-i-can-t-really-remember-what-that-is/

Looper. In power looper.

• Advertisement

Should be working for Fáilte Ireland.

NcdJd wrote: »
    Should be working for Fáilte Ireland.

I know. Probably is. :pac:

It was a tourist attraction when it was being built.
    Few times I was over last year you'd always meet a dublin family down looking at it.

I know. Probably is. :pac:

It was a tourist attraction when it was being built.
    Few times I was over last year you'd always meet a dublin family down looking at it.

Some structure. Googled a couple of images seems to blend in very well with the landscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I see going for a ramble next Sunday with the dog looking to shoot a pheasant is off the agenda now with the Covid19 regulations. I didn't see that one coming!

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/office-of-corporate-communications/news-media/what-about-pheasant-shooting-during-level-5-.html

I see going for a ramble next Sunday with the dog looking to shoot a pheasant is off the agenda now with the Covid19 regulations. I didn't see that one coming!

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/office-of-corporate-communications/news-media/what-about-pheasant-shooting-during-level-5-.html

Thought it was a crow Garda :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I see the Green Party are pushing to abolish the CAP.
    I particularly like their choice of photos, seems round baling Hay or Straw is the problem.
    No doubt we should be cocking it and building a reek...

k6KiJ0H.jpg

This lockdown, what impact will it have on Black Friday I wonder, have been eying that date for a few deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

This lockdown, what impact will it have on Black Friday I wonder, have been eying that date for a few deals.

Doesn't look to be many deals. I'm looking for a cordless dirty cattle/sheep clippers.
    Let us know if you spot any deals!

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I see the Green Party are pushing to abolish the CAP.
    I particularly like their choice of photos, seems round baling Hay or Straw is the problem.
    No doubt we should be cocking it and building a reek...

k6KiJ0H.jpg

They're looking for funding for themselves.

There's been huge interest now in people re evaluating their mission in life these past few years.
    Before it was get married, have a family, have a good time.
    Now it's marriage doesn't matter, no pressure to have a family, you've to save the planet, have a place in the countryside, raise your own food because farmers poison you, plant trees and save the environment.

Except now this takes time and I want to leave my job in the city and be a full-time saviour. So where or what will fund my income?

• Advertisement

Our postman dropped of treat bags for all the children in the community.

Such an amazing man. He gave Easter eggs the last lockdown. And the likes of my mam on her own, he gave a box of sweets.

A real community hero in my eyes.

Advertisement