Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Mossie1975 wrote: »
    Standing in gaps by Seamus O’Rourke is a nice read.

Great book.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Anyone following the Gamestop share price fiasco. An online forum with over a million subscribers decided to buy the share. It sent the price to the sky. Hedge funds that bet on the share going down set to loose billions. Mad stuff altogether.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Anyone following the Gamestop share price fiasco. An online forum with over a million subscribers decided to buy the share. It sent the price to the sky. Hedge funds that bet on the share going down set to loose billions. Mad stuff altogether.

could be a criminal investigation, as there was pushing on social media to "pump and dump"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    A mate of mine used to work for a company, run by "the meanest man in Ireland"
    When the staff went home in the evening he would go around and switch everything off, including the fridge in the tea room.
    The mate got so fed up of the milk always spoiling he started taking black tea, and has never gone back to milk..

There were seven of us lads in a house together in 2nd year at college. We could never figure out why there was always an out of date pint of milk in the fridge as we would drink it like calves. I happened to catch the culprit. He was so mean that he bought a fresh pint of milk but would pour it into a carton that had an expired date on it so no one else would drink from it...
    His plan did have a flaw that when one of us checked the carton we'd usually lob it in the bin as it appeared out of date.
    He also wrote his name on individual eggs and not just the egg box. Needless to say he didn't live with us in third year..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Checked the fridge, no milk, no tea for the morning so. Joys of living the rural bachelor life in only buying a pint of milk at a time and stretching it for ten days. Should this be on the rooter thread? Always described myself as far from ordinary but never a rooter.
    An old man said to me when I moaned that there was no milk for the tea "Put a bit of butter in it!" as if everyone knew to do that.

I put some butter in, and apart from being hotter, the taste was basically the same. Looked a bit globby, but no more than a coffee with cream would end up looking...

I've done it many times since.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

A healthy reminder hedgefunds and their likes are basically giant gamblers.

Basically they were betting on gamestop stock to fall so they could make money.

The idea that lads on reddit are costing hedgefunds millions is madness though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

A healthy reminder hedgefunds and their likes are basically giant gamblers.

Basically they were betting on gamestop stock to fall so they could make money.

The idea that lads on reddit are costing hedgefunds millions is madness though

Watching the Wolf of Wall Street put me off all manage funds, I just buy heifers for the bull now with any sup I've left over after the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Esel wrote: »
    An old man said to me when I moaned that there was no milk for the tea "Put a bit of butter in it!" as if everyone knew to do that.

I put some butter in, and apart from being hotter, the taste was basically the same. Looked a bit globby, but no more than a coffee with cream would end up looking...

Very Mongolian of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Food package from the kids- school delivered today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I'm sickened to the hole today, I've been looking for a bit of dry ground within about 20 -30 minutes drive for a while, something handy enough to retire to, but useful in the meantime. Anyway I came across something the other night on DAFT that looked promising, maybe a couple of miles further but ticked all the boxes. I rang the auctioneer on Tuesday, he told me that it was a clear and clean piece of ground, no tails. He also said that he wanted to close the sale soon and what it was making was a bit short of the asking price so to go and look at it if I was interested.
    Off I went on Wednesday, walked it, and it was perfect for us. So I rang the auctioneer, left a message to contact me, and off I went dreaming and scheming away.
    He rings me back this morning that it went sale agreed yesterday during the day, that the bidder upped his offer. While there's not much I can do, I think it was a bit chit of him to go sending me on a wild goose chase like that.
    On the plus side I got out of the yard and had a lovely walk with my father. It'd be a grand excuse to go nosing around the country...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭straight

I'm sickened to the hole today, I've been looking for a bit of dry ground within about 20 -30 minutes drive for a while, something handy enough to retire to, but useful in the meantime. Anyway I came across something the other night on DAFT that looked promising, maybe a couple of miles further but ticked all the boxes. I rang the auctioneer on Tuesday, he told me that it was a clear and clean piece of ground, no tails. He also said that he wanted to close the sale soon and what it was making was a bit short of the asking price so to go and look at it if I was interested.
    Off I went on Wednesday, walked it, and it was perfect for us. So I rang the auctioneer, left a message to contact me, and off I went dreaming and scheming away.
    He rings me back this morning that it went sale agreed yesterday during the day, that the bidder upped his offer. While there's not much I can do, I think it was a bit chit of him to go sending me on a wild goose chase like that.
    On the plus side I got out of the yard and had a lovely walk with my father. It'd be a grand excuse to go nosing around the country...

You could gazump him but that's a bit lousy too. I'd a similar episode myself and I'm still on the lookout. At the end of the day if the vendor says to the auctioneer that he wants to close at that price to that seller it's their choice. The auctioneer is compulsed to tell him if there's any better offer out there and maybe he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

It could be auctioneer being a bit of a prick... but it could be the seller might have chosen to sell it to a neighbour or something, if they met the price the seller wanted...

Hard to know...

Annoying for you either way though - but am sure something else wil turn up, it always does...

Just saw on the Face book there theres a veg grower in Connemara one of the small organic grower type operations looking for unpaid interns who will get a 'free' education

The neck of it, expecting a lad to work full days for no pay but its okay because you'll teach them about weeding vegetable beds and shoveling compost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,526 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Just saw on the Face book there theres a veg grower in Connemara one of the small organic grower type operations looking for unpaid interns who will get a 'free' education

The neck of it, expecting a lad to work full days for no pay but its okay because you'll teach them about weeding vegetable beds and shoveling compost.

Are you sitting down Laoch na Mona?

That's Wwoofing!
    https://wwoof.ie/how-it-works/basics

It's how the organic organizations and farming 'works' in Europe.

And you thought rooting ordinary Joe soap farmers were mean.. :p

Edit: for the bonus look up to see are your neighbours on the list of host farmers. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

That's Wwoofing!

One of the sheep diarist on the indo uses woofers, finds them great. He has a shed in the yard converted into apartments and they go into town a couple times a week with his jeep and credit card to get food, fuel etc.
    Seems to work great, he gets some good looking ones too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,526 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

wrangler wrote: »
    One of the sheep diarist on the indo uses woofers, finds them great. He has a shed in the yard converted into apartments and they go into town a couple times a week with his jeep and credit card to get food, fuel etc.
    Seems to work great, he gets some good looking ones too
    At the end of the day it is free labour though.
    I know there's a real risk of who you're going to get. But there's blatant info up of farmers with 300 ewes or over 100 cows up looking for wwoofers. You know well that they just want the free labour with calving or yeaning. I suppose the same could be said of the vegetable ones with weeding and picking.

But anyways it's a thing and people do volunteer for it.
    I'd feel a bit iffy having someone working for nothing. But then I suppose if you got into it you'd take as many as wanted to come.
    You'd be a reformed character. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

At the end of the day it is free labour though.
    I know there's a real risk of who you're going to get. But there's blatant info up of farmers with 300 ewes or over 100 cows up looking for wwoofers. You know well that they just want the free labour with calving or yeaning. I suppose the same could be said of the vegetable ones with weeding and picking.

But anyways it's a thing and people do volunteer for it.
    I'd feel a bit iffy having someone working for nothing. But then I suppose if you got into it you'd take as many as wanted to come.
    You'd be a reformed character. :p

And there is a max number of working hours and you feed and house them. they seem to be great fun and easy going.
    As you say you take twice as many as you need.

That's Wwoofing!

Edit: for the bonus look up to see are your neighbours on the list of host farmers. :pac:

its not woofing they specifically said they wanted someone for 6 months

woofing is bad enough this is on another level

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It would be similar to Au Pair. Open to abuse but many find it rewarding on both sides.

Spanish veg and fruit farmers really exploit Moroccocan women, for our cheap fruit and veg. Just above slave labour.

Water John wrote: »
    It would be similar to Au Pair. Open to abuse but many find it rewarding on both sides.

Don't au pairs get paid?

• Advertisement

I think they're only required to do 20hrs/wk in return for board and learning English.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Ever hear of the bullet proof coffee craze a few years back, gone awful quiete now but Kerrygold was supposed to be the best for it.

Better living everyone

On ETTG is that Wexford farmer objecting to a 38Kv or 110Kv line going through his farm? The piece doesn't make it clear. Shows 38 kv in writing but filming 110Kv.
    Loved the guy with the oxen, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Ever hear of the bullet proof coffee craze a few years back, gone awful quiete now but Kerrygold was supposed to be the best for it.

It's not a faze!!! I'm still at it!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Pray tell?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Pray tell?

Bulletproof Coffee", made with grass-fed unsalted butter and either coconut oil or medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) 

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭jaymla627

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/online-brokerages-restrict-trading-on-gamestop-amc-amid-frenetic-trading-11611849934 shows how the game is rigged, and the ponzi scheme the current stock market built on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭emaherx

Clear test today, always a relief when it's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

emaherx wrote: »
    Clear test today, always a relief when it's over.

Was that for yourself or the cows? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭emaherx

gozunda wrote: »
    Was that for yourself or the cows? :pac:

In some ways I find the experience can be both :D

Advertisement