Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Had a cave in on a section of my septic tank run. Swear ta fcuk, next person who gives off to me about cattle slurry smelling bad is going to get an earful :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭The Rabbi

Had a cave in on a section of my septic tank run. Swear ta fcuk, next person who gives off to me about cattle slurry smelling bad is going to get an earful :pac:

Output is a result of input,you only have yourself to blame:D

The Rabbi wrote: »
    Output is a result of input,you only have yourself to blame:D

True:o twas my grandfather put it in. Tractors too heavy these days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Always nasty work.
    The tank itself??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

If its your own house, spend the money and upgrade to a new modern one. Speaking from experience on this one. Tractor cracked the old clay pipes here on our one years ago. A handy DIY job done then. Never right after. Constantly gets blocked.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

Yea, own house, contractor drove over it a year ago & wasn't right since. Caved in a while back I reckon but not noticed til now.
    Will upgrade, sure it's done it's 50 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I notice the Dept are putting the Eircode under the address on blue cards now. I'm not really happy about it and wonder why they are doing it.

Great news locally, a Canadian mining co. has had it's application to renew a mining license rejected. Some of my property would have been at the boundary of the company's "property", in mining terms. I'm happy to say I had a tiny part in getting them gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭tanko

after a few weeks off This Farming Life returns tonight at 8 on BBC 2

That was some carry on with yer man trying to halter train the four year old shorthorn bull and trying to get him into the trailer. He was lucky to escape injury.
    I suppose the programme shows the kind of rootin that happens on farms:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

tanko wrote: »
    That was some carry on with yer man trying to halter train the four year old shorthorn bull and trying to get him into the trailer. He was lucky to escape injury.

Do ye think the typical Irish farmer has surpassed the typical English farmer? I do tbh. Irish farms seem to have invested a lot more and modernised more. Maybe something to do with all the tenant games out there and lack of ownership

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

That bull looked to have never been trained to the halter..
    Four year old is a bit late, and Shorthorns are known to be "crusty" at the best of times.
    Surprised he didn't even get a bid at £800..... would there not have been a few pounds in him to factory him?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

Great news locally, a Canadian mining co. has had it's application to renew a mining license rejected. Some of my property would have been at the boundary of the company's "property", in mining terms. I'm happy to say I had a tiny part in getting them gone.

Teck Mining?

Teck Mining?

MOAG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Base price wrote: »
    I notice the Dept are putting the Eircode under the address on blue cards now. I'm not really happy about it and wonder why they are doing it.

Ya, don't think there's any need of it. Its on the blue cards at least a year do.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    That bull looked to have never been trained to the halter..
    Four year old is a bit late, and Shorthorns are known to be "crusty" at the best of times.
    Surprised he didn't even get a bid at £800..... would there not have been a few pounds in him to factory him?

Yeah, four years old was far too late for that crack. He looked like he needed a nice bit of feeding before he'd be ready for the factory.
    Maybe £800 was the minimum bid at that sale and no buyer was prepared to pay that.

Do ye think the typical Irish farmer has surpassed the typical English farmer? I do tbh. Irish farms seem to have invested a lot more and modernised more. Maybe something to do with all the tenant games out there and lack of ownership

Yeah, i suppose handling facilities on farms here have improved a lot in recent times but they needed to.
    I still wouldn't like to be a vet going to some farms to calve cows or test them etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,526 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

MOAG

Just read a little bit in a newspaper article on Twitter about "Irish Molly" there.

Business is really just who you know and how much you can get from them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

You could be best to get that sorted sooner or you could be forced to upgrade to the new percolation system

Just read a little bit in a newspaper article on Twitter about "Irish Molly" there.

Business is really just who you know and how much you can get from them

When something like it comes down the tracks at you it forces every plan to be put on hold. I'm delighted to see the back of them.

Never had or used the Uddermint cream before..now.
    Reason being I bought it was after all the recommendations from the non farming community on social media.
    And I bought it for that purpose.

Anyway to me it smells like competition for Vicks vapor rub.
    So chalk that use down as well.

• Advertisement

Reason being I bought it was after all the recommendations from the non farming community on social media.

It great for the ailments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

Twas used for all kinds of ailments and strains in dressing rooms that I was part of for years! Hamstrings, quads, the lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Tileman

Yeah, four years old was far too late for that crack. He looked like he needed a nice bit of feeding before he'd be ready for the factory.
    Maybe £800 was the minimum bid at that sale and no buyer was prepared to pay that.

He is very inexperienced farmer also. He was lucky he didn’t get hurt with that bull.
    I agree most farms in Ireland seem to have better facilities than GB. With brexit and less with money for schemes like TAMS they will further behind. The biggest issue I’d say is not owning the land. Hard to invest as a tenant.

It great for the ailments

I tried it on my shoulder today.

It went cold and that was it. Put it on my legs this evening and I think I've become immune to it.
    Didn't wash my hands of it yet and my nose thinks I but a dolp of Vicks under each nostril.

Am expecting koala bears to start arriving any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Tileman wrote: »
    He is very inexperienced farmer also. He was lucky he didn’t get hurt with that bull.
    I agree most farms in Ireland seem to have better facilities than GB. With brexit and less with money for schemes like TAMS they will further behind. The biggest issue I’d say is not owning the land. Hard to invest as a tenant.

Ah even owner operators are behind over there too. Worked in a spot with 300+ cows and no automatic scrapers because its a very english thing to have a tractor do the work apparently. Self feeding silage is popular in parts there too it was the bees knees where i was too but i couldnt warm to it. They are definitly a different breed thats for sure.
    Very little slatted tanks over there too usually theres a channel running to a lagoon or something or other.
    But yet anything backwards to them is "a bit irish isnt it?"

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Ah even owner operators are behind over there too. Worked in a spot with 300+ cows and no automatic scrapers because its a very english thing to have a tractor do the work apparently. Self feeding silage is popular in parts there too it was the bees knees where i was too but i couldnt warm to it. They are definitly a different breed thats for sure.
    Very little slatted tanks over there too usually theres a channel running to a lagoon or something or other.
    But yet anything backwards to them is "a bit irish isnt it?"

From occasional glimpses of Tom Pemberton on you tube, you've hit the nail on the head there with all aspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Jb1989 wrote: »
    From occasional glimpses of Tom Pemberton on you tube, you've hit the nail on the head there with all aspects.

Different gravy, but i suppose they know no different.

Better living everyone

Different gravy, but i suppose they know no different.

It could be they just haven't had the same regulations with bord bia, nitrates, etc as us.

There's a bit of an uproar over there atm where Scottish and Welsh farmers are getting some very strict nitrates rules implemented now where it seemed from here anyway, like here twenty years ago up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A lot of the UK facilities are older than ours. Built in the 1950/60s and haven't modernised.

• Advertisement

I tried it on my shoulder today.

It went cold and that was it. Put it on my legs this evening and I think I've become immune to it.
    Didn't wash my hands of it yet and my nose thinks I but a dolp of Vicks under each nostril.

Am expecting koala bears to start arriving any time.

Dislocated my shoulder years ago at football, it bothers me in cold snaps
    Rubbed some on, tingling for a moment but shoulder loosen

Advertisement