Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Bullocks wrote: »
    Was reading a piece in the Sunday Times about organic farming. They quoted Pippa Hackett "Our farm became more profitable, Your input costs go down because you're not using synthetic fertilisers and pesticides, and you actually use less PETROL in your tractor".
    What kind of tractor are they using I wonder?
    Is she misquoted?
    Does she know that little about what tractors are running on?
    Anyone have an opinion on how her as a minister?

I lost allot of respect for her, in an interview she said abkut going organic “if we can do it anyone can”.

Total rubbish.
    She’s farming in a massively fertile area surrounded by tillage for cheap access to straw. Maybe stick her up on a marginal 30 acres in west Cavan with a 6 month winter and straw costing a fortune to truck in.

Was reading a piece in the Sunday Times about organic farming. They quoted Pippa Hackett "Our farm became more profitable, Your input costs go down because you're not using synthetic fertilisers and pesticides, and you actually use less PETROL in your tractor".
    Is she misquoted?

Must be one of the industrial yellow fergies :pac:

As a minister, rubbish.

_Brian wrote: »
    I lost allot of respect for her, in an interview she said abkut going organic “if we can do it anyone can”.

Total rubbish.
    She’s farming in a massively fertile area surrounded by tillage for cheap access to straw. Maybe stick her up on a marginal 30 acres in west Cavan with a 6 month winter and straw costing a fortune to truck in.

She's just another parish pump politician with a very thin slap of green paint. Like other Pol's she's 100% ready to throw others under the bus. Wonder if her own lands are to be designated?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Total rubbish.
    Sadly if she & her colleagues get their way there’ll be no marginal land left in West Cavan
    It’ll all be Silka & wolves

• Registered Users Posts: 11,527 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Total rubbish.
    Did you see Leslie Dwyers talk on Talamh Beo on his slurry treatments?
    I think it was linked very recently on a fb group that you might know.

I get your straw point for organic housing requirements.
    But you could be organic without being organic certified to their rules. Mightnt be fun but..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Did you see Leslie Dwyers talk on Talamh Beo on his slurry treatments?
    I think it was linked very recently on a fb group that you might know.

I get your straw point for organic housing requirements.
    But you could be organic without being organic certified to their rules. Mightnt be fun but..

Haven’t seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Jjameson wrote: »
    A great chat with Brian Odrioscal all same.

thought he (TK) handled it very well when BOD opened up about his late friend,

if it was Tubs or Kenny they'd be snapping in try to stir it.

enjoyed the show overall, the lady judge was choice

Haven’t seen it.

https://youtu.be/RdvJmYuql5U

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭tanko

ruwithme wrote: »
    Tell me,what are you hearing.

Just that it sounds like it's going to reopen as a mart and not be sold for development. I'm sure we'll know either way soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Tileman wrote: »
    I don’t think his dad would turn in his grave.

Paisley senior would have being the one orchestrating the violence if he was still alive.
    Paisley junior and a few more are trying to stir up trouble there again. Instead of showing leadership and understand what a great deal NI has.

He, moved on and it was a genuine move on paisley's part.

The current breed of unionists are a different story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭straight

Is she misquoted?

The farmers journal had an article on her. They were basically pointing out that she didn't have a clue. She didn't know the price per kg of organic beef. Admitted she was shocked that it was so low and so close to conventional beef. So many spoofers out there.

Jjameson wrote: »
    Remember this is the publication that seemed to want a day of mourning for belligerent big Phil. Ignoring his massive Irish water cluster ****, his pushing of mercoser deal, complete arrogance regarding the covid pandemic, He was great. The ifa Brussels office, and big Phil all doing it for us lads...

I'm no friend of Pravda, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Disappointing end to the rugby. I missed most of the first half. I was out for a run. Did 26.69km in 2hrs45mins.
    My longest distance ever. Was glad to sit down after.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Disappointing end to the rugby. I missed most of the first half. I was out for a run. Did 26.69km in 2hrs45mins.

The thoughts of that distance hurts my knees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Total rubbish.

It’s hard to know what to do in places that have a 6 month winter...

I take your point about straw. I don’t think organic is the answer, but I don’t know if more and more slatted tanks are the answer either?
    Does 6 months slurry bring its own problems - both for storage and in terms of ground being able to take the machinery and the volume of slurry during the summer?

Not having a go Brian, just thinking out loud I guess...

Reggie. wrote: »
    The thoughts of that distance hurts my knees

It’s more the monotony. Particularly now staying within the 5km. It’s like round and round the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I thought that was miles first... still'n all, fair play to you.

Ah I'm only messing, that's some slogging though, 'round and 'round the garden in this weather.
    Seriously though, local road network dependent granted, but it should possible to do a route so that you wouldn't have to double back except posdibly for the last leg home?
    The diameter of 5km radius circle is 78k.
    I'm only making talk here now, not questioning your logistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I thought that was miles first... still'n all, fair play to you.

Ah I'm only messing, that's some slogging though, 'round and 'round the garden in this weather.
    Seriously though, local road network dependent granted, but it should possible to do a route so that you wouldn't have to double back except posdibly for the last leg home?
    The diameter of 5km radius circle is 78k.
    I'm only making talk here now, not questioning your logistics.

OH has done similar with her bike run...... there's no one going to send you home if you breach it marginally
    I think your sums are wrong, circumference of a 5km radius circle is less than 78 surely

A lot of the roads around us are shook at the moment. A lot of widening of them but no repair after all the lorries. Then we are very close to the back road to Ennis so a lot of cars travelling to avoid check points. I’ve a few routes that have less cars and the roads are ok.

wrangler wrote: »
    OH has done similar with her bike run...... there's no one going to send you home if you breach it marginally
    I think your sums are wrong, circumference of a 5km radius circle is less than 78 surely

I don't know, just working on the old "pi x r2" formula;
    3.1417 x 25?

• Advertisement

You're right of course, that's the area, DOH!
    31.4 km is the circumference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I eventually got the calf sucking one teat this afternoon which is a win for me. I got 10 litres of fresh milk from a local dairy farmer yesterday and fed him 2ltrs at a time through the teat feeder every 5 or 6 hours. Hopefully he has copped on but the cow is awfully flagged.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Base price wrote: »
    I eventually got the calf sucking one teat this afternoon which is a win for me. I got 10 litres of fresh milk from a local dairy farmer yesterday and fed him 2ltrs at a time through the teat feeder every 5 or 6 hours. Hopefully he has copped on but the cow is awfully flagged.

Did many of them turn out in calf?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

A lot of the roads around us are shook at the moment. A lot of widening of them but no repair after all the lorries. Then we are very close to the back road to Ennis so a lot of cars travelling to avoid check points. I’ve a few routes that have less cars and the roads are ok.

Eldest lad did a time trial yesterday 5km all uphill 17.55 on his own. Same here some of the roads are terrible. He normally either goes on the treadmill or runs laps of the 1km track at local Gaelic pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

tanko wrote: »
    Just that it sounds like it's going to reopen as a mart and not be sold for development. I'm sure we'll know either way soon.

Just coincidentally last night before i read your post on it,i heard the same thing. A beef barons sons name was mentioned as being involved.

As you say we'll see soon.

ruwithme wrote: »
    Just coincidentally last night before i read your post on it,i heard the same thing. A beef barons sons name was mentioned as being involved. .

That'll annoy all the begrudgers, more control on the cattle industry

Gurteen ag college were farming that, I heard it was sold

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    Did many of them turn out in calf?
    7 out of 22 the last time we scanned, 3 have calved so far - two Fr and that LMx, all had live healthy calves. We have to scan another batch soon but with OH out of action it's been put on the long finger.

• Advertisement

Gurteen ag college were farming that, I heard it was sold

Horses or cows?

Advertisement