Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Horses or cows?

I think they had it leased for sheep and sucklers, it was since my time there, someone younger on here might have been there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

If you need any driveway pebble rakers let me know and I'll send you my CV SMN.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Base price wrote: »
    7 out of 22 the last time we scanned, 3 have calved so far - two Fr and that LMx, all had live healthy calves. We have to scan another batch soon but with OH out of action it's been put on the long finger.

Were they all bought in the one batch or off multiple seller's? Incalf cows will always be a factor when feeding culls but that's a very high rate to prove incalf imo. Having said that there's lots of lads have a bull running with the cows all year round and just gather up the culls every so often. I sold cow's for a neighbour Friday night, all dry but running with the LM bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

wrangler wrote: »
    I think they had it leased for sheep and sucklers, it was since my time there, someone younger on here might have been there

30 years since I was there, but they had all the sheep and a bit of tillage there then.
    Some pile all right, but they are about €4 million euro out of line on the price, I think.
    Old Mrs Trench ( I think) was still living there then, and was a very able business woman.
    Her husband had been a big steam fan, and there was a Massey 35 in a shed that had its engine replaced with a steam boiler by him.
    He was rumoured to have built an indoor railway running through the downstairs rooms, and a small steam engine that you could ride on running on it.
    Naturally, student oiks like us were never let nearer than the kitchen bootroom, and then only to replace tools. ( bit of pocket money to be earned in the gardens) swiftly converted into beer in The Glue Pot on Saturday night......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Just finished run of antibiotics for a sinus infection. Chrxst but a bottle of beer tastes good!

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    30 years since I was there, but they had all the sheep and a bit of tillage there then.
    Some pile all right, but they are about €4 million euro out of line on the price, I think.
    Old Mrs Trench ( I think) was still living there then, and was a very able business woman.
    Her husband had been a big steam fan, and there was a Massey 35 in a shed that had its engine replaced with a steam boiler by him.
    He was rumoured to have built an indoor railway running through the downstairs rooms, and a small steam engine that you could ride on running on it.
    Naturally, student oiks like us were never let nearer than the kitchen bootroom, and then only to replace tools. ( bit of pocket money to be earned in the gardens) swiftly converted into beer in The Glue Pot on Saturday night......

Just did a bit of research there, trenchs left in 1985 Micheal Ramsden , art collector is selling it now but he has added to it since he bought it. information is sketchy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Gurteen ag college were farming that, I heard it was sold

Sheep and sucklers when I was there too. Field on the right of the entrance in was wheat the year I was in it. Spent many a night in the shed there lambing ewes. Even got the leg over the young lass that was out there with me one night. Great times :D

In all the times I was over there I never knew there was a big fancy house on the grounds. I'm some dope.
    Nekarsulm wrote: »
    The Glue Pot on Saturday night......
    I was barred outta there in April '99 for having an absolute rant after a feed of Bulmers and during the Man Utd Arsenal FA cup semi. I was going mental at the Utd performance and was being "encouraged" on that I was dead right by the rest of the lads. Was eventually turfed out on my ear by "the bat" (the owner). Walked up the street into the other pub and in that time Giggs had scored is wonder goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

whelan2 wrote: »
    Eldest lad did a time trial yesterday 5km all uphill 17.55 on his own. Same here some of the roads are terrible. He normally either goes on the treadmill or runs laps of the 1km track at local Gaelic pitch.

That’s serious time, I’d be a million miles behind him. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Few years ago the father inherited a couple of bits of land. Marginal stuff which the previous owner was renting out on a yearly basis. Seemed like the best thing to do so the father carried on doing that. Got all the plots registered in his name and all was good.

Until today. Got a phone call asking if we were doing some drainage in the field. We're not so went to take a look. Turns out someone HAD gone in and cleaned the drain up the middle of the field, pulled up the bridge joining the 2 bits of land and fenced one side off :eek:

Very weird. Auctioneer responsible for letting it not working today obviously so I pulled folio info down off landdirect.ie. Turns out, the parcel of land is split across 2 folios. One is in the fathers name. The other isn't, and is in the name of someone from 40 miles away. My relations name isn't on the folio at all.

It's all one field, bought in the 50's. The folio with our name shows it being registered in 1954, then transferred a few years ago. The other part is first registered in 1990 to this other person. WTF?

As long as the father can remember the same man farmed it. The father helped take the trees out of it back in the 60s. Been farmed ever since until it was rented out as age caught up with the original owner.

Whats the situation here? Obviously, solicitor will be queried tomorrow. Have we lost land to some stranger here after 60 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

On his own too. Serious time. Id be miles behind him too.
    Was delighted to come third in a local swim race before only to discover I'd been WEll beaten by a 17 Yr old girl & 12 Yr old boy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Was delighted to come third in a local swim race before only to discover I'd been WEll beaten by a 17 Yr old girl & 12 Yr old boy :)

Ye hes delighted. Tough uphill. He had a pizza to celebrate last night.

There's lads around here and they're doing a great job on themselves with all the time they have for training, one was going for junior leinster rugby trial even before the lockdown....... he's some hulk now,
    They're studying as well, mother sees to that, I admire their attitude, great kids.
    Just shows they don't have to lie down under it and there will be time to catch up for them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

It shows pure grit. Fair play to him.

Ah I’m only plodding along and racing myself. It’s more about getting fitter and clearing the head.
    I ran with a charity running club in Ennis years ago before I moved home. They were seasoned and left me for dust and I got awful disheartened.

I’ve had neighbours asking to join me pre Covid and I’ve said no as I’ve be set time to get out. Depends on children and OH etc. Plus I want to set my own goals and have my own head space

Few years ago the father inherited a couple of bits of land. Marginal stuff which the previous owner was renting out on a yearly basis. Seemed like the best thing to do so the father carried on doing that. Got all the plots registered in his name and all was good.

Until today. Got a phone call asking if we were doing some drainage in the field. We're not so went to take a look. Turns out someone HAD gone in and cleaned the drain up the middle of the field, pulled up the bridge joining the 2 bits of land and fenced one side off :eek:

Very weird. Auctioneer responsible for letting it not working today obviously so I pulled folio info down off landdirect.ie. Turns out, the parcel of land is split across 2 folios. One is in the fathers name. The other isn't, and is in the name of someone from 40 miles away. My relations name isn't on the folio at all.

It's all one field, bought in the 50's. The folio with our name shows it being registered in 1954, then transferred a few years ago. The other part is first registered in 1990 to this other person. WTF?

As long as the father can remember the same man farmed it. The father helped take the trees out of it back in the 60s. Been farmed ever since until it was rented out as age caught up with the original owner.

Whats the situation here? Obviously, solicitor will be queried tomorrow. Have we lost land to some stranger here after 60 years?

I was talking to a turfcutter this year and asked him how he knows who owns the land, he said the best way to find who owns it is to drop a digger bucket in it , you won't be long findin out. Now you've learnt that too

gozunda wrote: »
    Just finished run of antibiotics for a sinus infection. Chrxst but a bottle of beer tastes good!

Touch wood haven't had one this winter. Hate sinus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

It shows pure grit. Fair play to him.

Ah I’m only plodding along and racing myself. It’s more about getting fitter and clearing the head.
    I ran with a charity running club in Ennis years ago before I moved home. They were seasoned and left me for dust and I got awful disheartened.

I’ve had neighbours asking to join me pre Covid and I’ve said no as I’ve be set time to get out. Depends on children and OH etc. Plus I want to set my own goals and have my own head space

Really miss training this lock down.
    Had 7 good months done.
    My kids are getting a bit older now so we're getting our lives back a tiny bit.
    Hadn't trained much in 6 or 7 years.
    Just crossfit & a bit of swimming.... Baby steps!

Similar happened here in westmeath a farm was sold including bog, the new owner went out and properly fenced the bog according to the line on his deeds. Another farmer came a nd pulled up the fence and threw it in a boghole, I know the previous owner compensted the new owner and just left it as it is but what happens next......... Things like this can get very bitter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

It was recommended to be to take an Antihistamines all yr round instead of just the summer it has helped but still get them not as bad thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Land ownership issues can be so contentious in Ireland, to put it mildly.
    A bit like the bog & soon finding out who owns what with the digger bucket,you'd soon get to really know someone if you had a land ownership issue between you.

Shouldn't underestimate the Covid restrictions , there's no normal viruses able to move this year, no big Christmas church services, no communion, signs of the peace, , masks, no hugs nothing

• Advertisement

Really miss training this lock down.
    Had 7 good months done.
    My kids are getting a bit older now so we're getting our lives back a tiny bit.
    Hadn't trained much in 6 or 7 years.
    Just crossfit & a bit of swimming.... Baby steps!

My lad is a bit ott, will run for 30 minutes 4 mornings a week after milking and then do a run in the evening. He doesn't drink, this is his interest. Could be worse. He is in with a good crowd in the running club and he only started running about 4 years ago. Before that he was very overweight and was bullied alot. He loves lapping the bullies at the track at the Gaelic pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Wrenched my back today. Felt a small twinge yesterday lifting a bale of shavings but shrugged it off and kept going rather than stopping and resting it.

Was rooting in the garage this morning and bam !, like a lightening strike and it’s agony from my neck right to the arse. All Injury points from a road crash 10years ago.

Shuffling along and can’t bend over or twist round.

Usually settles in a few days but it was crap enough week without this.

Shouldn't underestimate the Covid restrictions , there's no normal viruses able to move this year, no big Christmas church services, no communion, signs of the peace, , masks, no hugs nothing

Sinus can be either bacteriological or viral. Antibiotics only good for the first one. Though sinus issues are often as a secondary to some type of allergy. Eitherway can be a feckin pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

gozunda wrote: »
    Sinus can be either bacteriological or viral. Antibiotics only good for the first one. Though sinus issues are often as a secondary to some type of allergy. Eitherway can be a feckin pain in the hole.

How did your sinuses move down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Mossie1975 wrote: »
    Morning lads
    Hope ye are all keeping well. In from a ramble with me dog. Glad to see my 90 year old neighbour going for his own daily stroll up his driveway. Hadn’t seen him out in weeks and we were exchanging news. Told him about a local farmer who had recently won a competition, to which he replied “a great day for the parish”. Came away hiding a grin because the prize winner actually lives in a different parish (and there would be no love lost between the two on the GAA field). I’m not a big rugby fan but am looking forward to the match today. Great to see the Scots winning last night. Have a good one

Our arch rivals in the neighbouring parish have their club grounds in our parish. Have played away games at home 🀣

Haha have you no nostrils?

how does a dog with no nose smell?
    Awful!
    Go take a bath ye mingy yoke :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Google "Pilonidal Sinus".
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

My lad is a bit ott, will run for 30 minutes 4 mornings a week after milking and then do a run in the evening. He doesn't drink, this is his interest. Could be worse. He is in with a good crowd in the running club and he only started running about 4 years ago. Before that he was very overweight and was bullied alot. He loves lapping the bullies at the track at the Gaelic pitch.

Fair play to him. Its addictive when you get into it. Took me a long time to get into it but I'm doing 10ks now no bother. 2 years ago I was over 18 stone and out of breath going up a stairs. Over 2 stone gone now but would like to get to 15. Sadly weight problems in the family, my own father always has to keep an eye on the scales too.

Does your son play football too?. 17 minute 5k is serious tipping!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

One of my cousin's sent me a picture of a neighbours SHx cow lately that was coming close to calving and looked to be carrying very heavy (she looked to be wider than she was tall). I suggested twins but he said she used to always have a brute of a single calf. Seemingly she's old and this is her final year so she got an AA bull as opposed to the usual CH. He texted me a few minutes ago to say we were both wrong, she had triplets and 2 of them are alive. The same cousin had a CHx cow have live triplets last year and they made 3 fine weanlings after lots of TLC.

• Advertisement

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Fair play to him. Its addictive when you get into it. Took me a long time to get into it but I'm doing 10ks now no bother. 2 years ago I was over 18 stone and out of breath going up a stairs. Over 2 stone gone now but would like to get to 15. Sadly weight problems in the family, my own father always has to keep an eye on the scales too.

Does your son play football too?. 17 minute 5k is serious tipping!

No he gave up football, too much politics in it. The lads he used to play with would be at the pitch now doing a few laps like they are elite footballers. Then he passes them by...

Advertisement