Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

whelan2 wrote: »
    No he gave up football, too much politics in it. The lads he used to play with would be at the pitch now doing a few laps like they are elite footballers. Then he passes them by...

Lads playing football wouldnt be solely training for running in fairness. Short bursts of speed more important than fast 5k times. Id say if the club manager saw him running like that they'd be straight in his ear l though lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Lads playing football wouldnt be solely training for running in fairness. Short bursts of speed more important than fast 5k times. Id say if the club manager saw him running like that they'd be straight in his ear l though lol.

That is true. When I was playing football and running heavily I got too weak physically for the football. I was down to 12st 7 at 6'3". When I was in my mid twenties and training properly for GAA I was 14st 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

gozunda wrote: »
    Sinus can be either bacteriological or viral. Antibiotics only good for the first one. Though sinus issues are often as a secondary to some type of allergy. Eitherway can be a feckin pain in the hole.

I'm an asthmatic, similar applies, I haven't had a sniffle all year.
    feck all inhaler as well, it can't be coincidental

Grueller wrote: »
    That is true. When I was playing football and running heavily I got too weak physically for the football. I was down to 12st 7 at 6'3". When I was in my mid twenties and training properly for GAA I was 14st 2.

Few lads I know are pure athletes but poor footballers. I'm neither an athlete or a footballer lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

ruwithme wrote: »
    Just coincidentally last night before i read your post on it,i heard the same thing. A beef barons sons name was mentioned as being involved.

As you say we'll see soon.

It would be good to see it keep trading, if it's the Carnaross Man he has made some job of it, it's flying & getting alot of cattle. I have met him around it a few times, very helpful & sound in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

wrangler wrote: »
    I'm an asthmatic, similar applies, I haven't had a sniffle all year.
    feck all inhaler as well, it can't be coincidental

Always worse when heating is on. Seems to start it off

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Sheep and sucklers when I was there too. Field on the right of the entrance in was wheat the year I was in it. Spent many a night in the shed there lambing ewes. Even got the leg over the young lass that was out there with me one night. Great times :D

In all the times I was over there I never knew there was a big fancy house on the grounds. I'm some dope.

I think that was in wheat the year I was there too.
    One lad was sent to Sopwell to roll a field of wheat and given clear instructions how to get to the field.
    Somehow he rolled a field belonging to a farmer about a mile away from where he should have been.
    Lambing was an experience all right, coal fire burning in the grate for a month, and the kettle always on the boil. Drop of the craythur helped as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Grueller wrote: »
    I’d lose 2 stone from Jan to Apr, and then be too light for the hits I was giving and taking
    I think allot of our training was wrong
    Doing runs & sprints when we should of been working on gameplays
    Generally there’s not much difference in team’s fitness but the match ups & tactics sway results

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I think that was in wheat the year I was there too.
    One lad was sent to Sopwell to roll a field of wheat and given clear instructions how to get to the field.
    Somehow he rolled a field belonging to a farmer about a mile away from where he should have been.
    Lambing was an experience all right, coal fire burning in the grate for a month, and the kettle always on the boil. Drop of the craythur helped as well....

I enjoyed gurteen too, no money but was good crack. 'twas fairly cold when we were there, we were in the dorms over the arch, think it was girls rooms after, cook was kinda related so that helped, couldn't afford the glue pot too often ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Fair point but any decent standard of a ball player would want to be able to knock off 5k comfortably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Fair point but any decent standard of a ball player would want to be able to knock off 5k comfortably.

See the youngest lad who is 12 has to do 3k for football training. Some of the lads cant do it.

See the youngest lad who is 12 has to do 3k for football training. Some of the lads cant do it.

That’s not good
    Really only about 10 laps of a football field

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

I was involved in training underage gaa. One coach was all about fitness. He had them running for 40mins. Doin lap after lap. When it came to doin ball work they were not interested and tired. I had a big row with him. I never seen the point in bein super fit if you can't kick a ball. We only had them for 3 hours a week. I think it should be 75% ball work and 25% fitness. Not running 3km,5km or 10km. Sprints and movement are whats used in matches not running 3km non stop.

When we would be at the pitch there's lads practicing their sprints. First of all they measure out the distance with poles. This takes about 10 minutes. Then warm up, another 10 minutes, 10 minutes doing sprints, 10 minute cool down and take down the poles.

That’s not good
    Really only about 10 laps of a football field

Only 7 laps. Fierce bad, my little lad is 9 and regularily runs 3/4k with me

jimini0 wrote: »
    I was involved in training underage gaa. One coach was all about fitness. He had them running for 40mins. Doin lap after lap. When it came to doin ball work they were not interested and tired. I had a big row with him. I never seen the point in bein super fit if you can't kick a ball. We only had them for 3 hours a week. I think it should be 75% ball work and 25% fitness. Not running 3km,5km or 10km. Sprints and movement are whats used in matches not running 3km non stop.

This is for training at home during lockdown when they get back to proper training there's very little laps etc

Jjameson wrote: »
    They also forget it’s supposed to be recreational enjoyment.

Remember being at a club meeting where allot of giving out why there was numbers at senior level
    I was shaking my head as main winger had dumped/refused to train U12’s he didn’t think we good enough to win the grade
    Sadly it’s a story in every club & county which repeats itself

Remember being at a club meeting where allot of giving out why there was numbers at senior level
    I was shaking my head as main winger had dumped/refused to train U12’s he didn’t think we good enough to win the grade
    Sadly it’s a story in every club & county which repeats itself

The other one that bugs me is bringing up the stars from the age group below and those who are the age dont get to play but are welcome to come and train.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I coach u10s and a light warm up- jog half the pitch.... some couldn’t do it.

Different lifestyles now.
    We used load 3/4trailers of turf, cycle 3 miles to training, train and cycle home. That being said, we were pure useless at training/matches after being at turf.(was no good anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Odelay

In my day there were soft lads that wouldn’t be fit for training after loading a few trailers of turf and a short 3 mile cycle to training. Said they were tired after it ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Advertisement

The other one that bugs me is bringing up the stars from the age group below and those who are the age dont get to play but are welcome to come and train.

Up to u15/16 it should be every player gets a game. at 15/16 i can see the merit in playing competitively. Best coaches are the ones who improve a whole panel from the start of the year to the end and not just the couple of stars. Underage coaching is a nightmare id imagine as if you have a big panel not everyone can always get a game. Always feel sorry for the sons/daughters of managers as they are always the first to get the curly finger no matter how well/poor they are going in a game.

Smaller sided games such as 6 v 6 are better underage as lads get more contacts.

Up to u15/16 it should be every player gets a game. at 15/16 i can see the merit in playing competitively. Best coaches are the ones who improve a whole panel from the start of the year to the end and not just the couple of stars. Underage coaching is a nightmare id imagine as if you have a big panel not everyone can always get a game. Always feel sorry for the sons/daughters of managers as they are always the first to get the curly finger no matter how well/poor they are going in a game.

Smaller sided games such as 6 v 6 are better underage as lads get more contacts.

The Portuguese and Spanish soccer teams focus on that. More on developing skills rather that winning at under age. Signs on it came to fruition with their success in recent years.

Odelay wrote: »
        In my day there were soft lads that wouldn’t be fit for training after loading a few trailers of turf and a short 3 mile cycle to training. Said they were tired after it ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

The right funny man darcy. Many a battle with the father was had when it came to football training time. We didn’t see the bigger picture he was looking at.

This posted over in the hunting forum

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058158064/1/#post116211270

It's not going to stop people bringing their dogs in .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

It is a badly written piece. It gives the impression that dog walkers had an automatic right to access farmland which isn't the case on private land in Ireland - "Dog walkers will no longer have access to farmland under a new nationwide ban ..."

It's not going to stop people bringing their dogs in .

It most certainly won't stop certain sectors of society bringing in their dags
        Base price wrote: »
        It is a badly written piece. It gives the impression that dog walkers had an automatic right to access farmland which isn't the case on private land in Ireland - "Dog walkers will no longer have access to farmland under a new nationwide ban ..."

The article also seems to give the impression that its some new piece of legislation specifically being pushed by farmers.

And neither going to help fix the issue of those out for a ramble who ignore signs eitherway.

Who ever came up with it - really hasn't thought it through imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

Did ye see the segment about the rescued dog on the 9 news last night? The owner said they were out for a walk when the two dogs saw a deer and took off after it.
        No mention that the dogs were not on leads and no mention of what destruction the dog could have caused. Ignorance at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,527 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It most certainly won't stop certain sectors of society bringing in their dags

The article also seems to give the impression that its some new piece of legislation specifically being pushed by farmers.

And neither going to help fix the issue of those out for a ramble who ignore signs eitherway.

Who ever came up with it - really hasn't thought it through imo

An absolute piece of wizardry by Kerry IFA.

It got the message across loud and clear.

All we're bitchen about on here is the specifics and minutiae of the article.
        People nowadays couldn't give a fiddlers about nothing only themselves. They've just heard that their pooches are banned from comonages and farmland. There's outrage now at that from dog walkers.

Job done. Mentioned nationwide on the media. Well done Kerry IFA.

• Advertisement

An absolute piece of wizardry by Kerry IFA.

It got the message across loud and clear.

All we're bitchen about on here is the specifics and minutiae of the article.
        People nowadays couldn't give a fiddlers about nothing only themselves. They've just heard that their pooches are banned from comonages and farmland. There's outrage now at that from dog walkers.

Job done. Mentioned nationwide on the media. Well done Kerry IFA.

+1000
        Wouldn't be the first time that happened, so much begrudgery against IFA, IFJ, teagasc, etc
        . farmers are to be pitied now, the new moves on cattle prices should be an absolute pantomime.
        Well done whoever thought up those signs, cheap and effective, should be put up everywhere now

Advertisement