Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

gozunda wrote: »
    It most certainly won't stop certain sectors of society bringing in their dags

The article also seems to give the impression that its some new piece of legislation specifically being pushed by farmers.

And neither going to help fix the issue of those out for a ramble who ignore signs eitherway.

Who ever came up with it - really hasn't thought it through imo

Waste of effort, signs never stopped irresponsible people. Same as locks only stop law abiding people.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Dogs can't read the signs......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

whelan2 wrote: »
    Dogs can't read the signs......

Was just about to say this, issue around here is wandering dogs, not walkers.
    Though the dogshít on the lake walk is not great, even worse is the fookers who pick it up in the plastic bag, then fire it into the forestry cattle are allowed to graze in :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

An absolute piece of wizardry by Kerry IFA.

It got the message across loud and clear.
    All we're bitchen about on here is the specifics and minutiae of the article.
    People nowadays couldn't give a fiddlers about nothing only themselves. They've just heard that their pooches are banned from comonages and farmland. There's outrage now at that from dog walkers. Job done. Mentioned nationwide on the media. Well done Kerry IFA.

How so?

But yeah the devil is in the detail - the way people are finding out is from news reports like above and that's just going to create a ****efest. I somehow doubt it will have any impacts on the main culprits

• Registered Users Posts: 11,527 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

How so?

But yeah the devil is in the detail - the way people are finding out is from news reports like above and that's just going to create a ****efest. I somehow doubt it will have any impacts on the main culprits
    Roll over and die then.

This is as direct action as you'll get in these days. I support them.
    Direct action years ago would be the farmer shooting dogs and showing the dog carcase strung up on the six one news. I doubt that'll fly on the six one nowadays.

This is the best you're going to get!

(The farmer is legally entitled to shoot a loose dog worrying livestock.) For anyone reading this and wondering.

• Advertisement

Roll over and die then.This is as direct action as you'll get in these days. I support them.
    Direct action years ago would be the farmer shooting dogs and showing the dog carcase strung up on the six one news. I doubt that'll fly on the six one nowadays. This is the best you're going to get!(The farmer is legally entitled to shoot a loose dog worrying livestock.) For anyone reading this and wondering.

Defuq? What's that got to do with what was asked.

Yeah and I know dags can be shot btw.

But no matter I see back to the old form. Ta.

Defuq? What's that got to do with what was asked.

Yeah and I know dags can be shot btw.

But no matter I see back to the old form. Ta.

You said all this the farmers poster and media action and possibly the dog in the Dublin mountains is going to create a ****efest.

I replied to you roll and over and die then.
    Perfectly reasonable.

Why are you complaining about the IFA's action?

What would you do to grab the public's attention and get the message across?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

You said all this the farmers poster and media action and possibly the dog in the Dublin mountains is going to create a ****efest.

Perfectly reasonable.

Why are you complaining about the IFA's action?

What would you do to grab the public's attention and get the message across?
    Shoot the dogs and hang them over a gate.

Base price wrote: »
    Shoot the dogs and hang them over a gate.

I just posted a few posts back that that won't be shown on the six one news.

What else?

Perfectly reasonable.Why are you complaining about the IFA's action?What would you do to grab the public's attention and get the message across?

Nope. Feking ignorant is 'roll over and die'. But maybe get it right Never mentioned a dog in the 'dublin mountains' or 'farmers poster' . I questioned how successful that type of media promotion was going to be. Nah reckon thats just looking for a scrap. I'll leave you to it.

• Advertisement

I just posted a few posts back that that won't be shown on the six one news.

What else?
    Every few weeks the IFJ and Agriland show photos of dead sheep after an attack and sometimes the culprit dogs bodies also. I’ve yet to see said photos on the six one news. Years ago RTÉ used to run a cartoon ad about a dog been let out of the house at night and showed him attacking sheep.
    Until RTÉ show live images of dead/mauled sheep and the shot dogs that were responsible then no amount of signs on gates will drive the message home - All dogs are potential killers.
    The IFJ article reads like we are in Britain where people have a right to roam. That’s certainly not the case in Ireland.
    A farmer may shoot a dog if it’s worrying, has worried or if he thinks is about to worry his stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Every few weeks the IFJ and Agriland show photos of dead sheep after an attack and sometimes the culprit dogs bodies also. I’ve yet to see said photos on the six one news. Years ago RTused to run a cartoon ad about a dog been let out of the house at night and showed him attacking sheep.
    Until RTshow live images of dead/mauled sheep and the shot dogs that were responsible then no amount of signs on gates will drive the message home - All dogs are potential killers.
    The IFJ article reads like we are in Britain where people have a right to roam. That’s certainly not the case in Ireland.
    A farmer may shoot a dog if it’s worrying, has worried or if he thinks is about to worry his stock.

Definitely need an across the board ban on all walkers bringing dogs on or off lead, push it hard, zero tolerance. Need to get the message across that it’s not acceptable what has been going on.

We had problems with roaming dogs chasing cattle but most recent problem was a nut case bringing a pack of hounds in. I tried twice to talk to him But he scoooted across a fence and made away intentionally when he saw me coming.

Every few weeks the IFJ and Agriland show photos of dead sheep after an attack and sometimes the culprit dogs bodies also. I’ve yet to see said photos on the six one news. Years ago RTÉ used to run a cartoon ad about a dog been let out of the house at night and showed him attacking sheep.
    Until RTÉ show live images of dead/mauled sheep and the shot dogs that were responsible then no amount of signs on gates will drive the message home - All dogs are potential killers.

It's been a successful stunt if it has you worked up about it and me praising it.

Wexford sheep IFA representative had fifteen minutes on the local radio station talking about it.
    If no action had been taken there'd be no discussion no media coverage.
    If a dog is placed on a gate. It won't be shown on national media. It'll please that farmer but Sharon Ni Bheolains RTE won't give that the time of day.

There's been zero suggestions mentioned as opposed to this play by Kerry IFA that would be shown on national television and get this reaction.

You're against posters. I don't get it.
    It's absolutely no harm, no chance of litigation and if it makes the dog walker give second thought. Then good on them.

You have to box clever on it.

It's been a successful stunt if it has you worked up about it and me praising it.

Wexford sheep IFA representative had fifteen minutes on the local radio station talking about it.
    If a dog is placed on a gate. It won't be shown on national media. It'll please that farmer but Sharon Ni Bheolains RTE won't give that the time of day.

There's been zero suggestions mentioned as opposed to this play by Kerry IFA that would be shown on national television and get this reaction.

It's absolutely no harm, no chance of litigation and if it makes the dog walker give second thought. Then good on them.

I’m not against posters or signage but unfortunately some people choose to ignore them be it trespassing, dumping, shooting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

One of my friends is having trouble with rats around the house in her estate so I said I'd put down a few bits of wavin n bait for her in the garden, have a big drum of it in the yard.

As I was doing it there was a hole in a fencing panel n I could see into the neighbours garden. If there was one bin liner of rubbish there was a few hundred. I showed her and she nearly got sick. The neighbour doesn't do a tap n is a battleaxe. paying a fiver a week for bins obviously doesn't suit either.
    She knows the landlord so will try him to get it sorted. Personal responsibility seems to be an optional extra in this country!
    I think I'll stick with living in the countryside after today!

If it were clever it'd work. Posters and signs don't work. Radio and print doesn't work. The people who cause problems with dogs don't give a ****. Several decades of signage here proves it. As does my dead ewe in the seaweed last Summer. Driven into the tide by dogs. Or the many others ripped, drowned, or otherwise worried over the years

This time next year you'll have the same articles about dog attacks on sheep. I guarantee it.

The ownership and availability of dogs needs to change. But pandering politicians won't touch it as it'll not be popular for them. Dog ownership should be a privilege not a right. Any idiot in any community can own dogs. Often dog attacks over years are assigned to the same individuals or families.

Dogs should be licensed similar to firearms. That a person must be of good character and demonstrate a defined need to own a dog. They should need certification from a suitable professional that that dog has been ID chipped before any license is granted. There should be stiff penalties for breaching responsible behavior, and aggressive (and funded) enforcers of legislation.

Dogs need to be valued by people, rather than treated like **** as they currently are.

If it were clever it'd work. Posters and signs don't work. Radio and print doesn't work. The people who cause problems with dogs don't give a ****. Several decades of signage here proves it. As does my dead ewe in the seaweed last Summer. Driven into the tide by dogs. Or the many others ripped, drowned, or otherwise worried over the years

This time next year you'll have the same articles about dog attacks on sheep. I guarantee it.

The ownership and availability of dogs needs to change. But pandering politicians won't touch it as it'll not be popular for them. Dog ownership should be a privilege not a right. Any idiot in any community can own dogs. Often dog attacks over years are assigned to the same individuals or families.

Dogs should be licensed similar to firearms. That a person must be of good character and demonstrate a defined need to own a dog. They should need certification from a suitable professional that that dog has been ID chipped before any license is granted. There should be stiff penalties for breaching responsible behavior, and aggressive (and funded) enforcers of legislation.

Dogs need to be valued by people, rather than treated like **** as they currently are.

^^^^ This.

Tbh I'm fairly sick to the back teeth of recreational rural dwellers keeping 'packs' of dogs as made popular by social media. I've been more than tempted on occasion to drop kick one over hedge on finding same running loose. Obviously I wouldn't as that's cruelty and a better target would be the stupid owners. :mad:

I'll keep to my favoured devils advocate role.

Then would you be in favour of a dedicated inspection official coming round and inspecting your farm dogs facilities and you providing a list of that dogs feed receipts and you paying for that official per yearly or whatever visit. And you accepting whatever that official tells you needs to be done or that you'd have to hand over that dog for destruction or rehoming.

I'll keep to my favoured devils advocate role.

Then would you be in favour of a dedicated inspection official coming round and inspecting your farm dogs facilities and you providing a list of that dogs feed receipts and you paying for that official per yearly or whatever visit. And you accepting whatever that official tells you needs to be done or that you'd have to hand over that dog for destruction or rehoming.

I'm not in FG so no, it can be paid for through general taxation. Feed receipts aren't necessary as many dogs are well fed on scraps. Nor have I an issue with the welfare of my mutts. As for decisions, there can be a proper appeals procedure.

The current system serves no one, and in particular not the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Rick Stein's Secret France is on RTE 2 if anyone wants to pretend they're on holidays for an hour... which is basically what I'm doing with a can of beer :)

• Advertisement

I'm not in FG so no, it can be paid for through general taxation. Feed receipts aren't necessary as many dogs are well fed on scraps. Nor have I an issue with the welfare of my mutts. As for decisions, there can be a proper appeals procedure.

The current system serves no one, and in particular not the dog.

I was thinking you wouldn't go that far.

I nearly think myself that that's what needs to happen.
    It's ok for farmers preaching about others but if they won't accept themselves what they want to happen to others. Then it makes them hypocrites.

I'd say eventually that it will happen across the board in this country.

Dam right the dog owners should fund the inspectors. Dogs are a luxury. Even if they're essential to some people. They still should pay for the inspection service.

I was thinking you wouldn't go that far.

I nearly think myself that that's what needs to happen.
    It's ok for farmers preaching about others but if they won't accept themselves what they want to happen to others. Then it makes them hypocrites.

I'd say eventually that it will happen across the board in this country.

Dam right the dog owners should fund the inspectors. Dogs are a luxury. Even if they're essential to some people. They still should pay for the inspection service.
    I agree with you. I have no problem with showing my dog license to a Garda or dog warden if they come to look for it, nor do I have a problem with them scanning the dog to see if it is microchipped and registered in my name. The inspection service should be paid for by the monies received through the licence fee or the fines applied to those who haven't got a licence and/or their dog not microchipped and registered in their name/address.
    Edit: Did you ever have to shoot a dog/dogs because they worried your livestock?
    In the past I've had to do it on a few occasions and it's not a pleasant thing to have to do. However in some cases it must be done particularly when you have given the dog owner a chance to control their pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

NcdJd wrote: »
    Rick Stein's Secret France is on RTE 2 if anyone wants to pretend they're on holidays for an hour... which is basically what I'm doing with a can of beer :)

Saorview 5, for side splitting laughs with Stephen Mulhern,
    In for a Penny, In for a Grand. on now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Thats a bit mad in fairness

people (assuming they're responsible) are entitled to a pet dog, by your criteria some farmers wouldn't be entitled to a dog

I agree with you. I have no problem with showing my dog license to a Garda or dog warden if they come to look for it, nor do I have a problem with them scanning the dog to see if it is microchipped and registered in my name. The inspection service should be paid for by the monies received through the licence fee or the fines applied to those who haven't got a licence and/or their dog microchipped and registered in their name/address.

Anyone here that has taken a shelter/rehomed dog?

I believe (so I'm told) it's an onerous system where an inspector has to visit your home to see the facilities and see have you any experience with dogs and what you intend to feed it with. And you pay for that dogs stay in the shelter.

This is really where dog ownership should be heading in this country. It's ok talking about everyone else but it needs to apply to all dogs. Working dogs included. If the animal is cared for properly there should be no fear of a system being brought in.

This is where the IFA should be lobbying to regulate the system. Going by herdquitters reaction though there would be some unease within from farmers. But it needs to be done to have a semblance of responsible dog ownership brought in.

Otherwise it's all optics and as we say the merry go round again.

Provide a good bit of employment too.

Edit: Did you ever have to shoot a dog/dogs because they worried your livestock?
    In the past I've had to do it on a few occasions and it's not a pleasant thing to have to do. However in some cases it must be done particularly when you have given the dog owner a chance to control their pet.

I was called to a sheep kill in progress by the farmer.
    Two rott x labs and a Rottweiler.
    I and others with guns wanted to shoot but the farmer wanted to wait for the dog warden and gardai.
    The gardai and dog warden turned up. Caught one and followed the others back to a neighbour.
    Had nightmares after for a few nights of the rott x's going for me between them and the sheep.
    I think it was sixteen hoggets after were killed from smothering and direct kills from the dogs.

The neighbour reported that they broke out of their pen.
    All the dogs were euthanized that evening by the warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Anyone here that has taken a shelter/rehomed dog?

I believe (so I'm told) it's an onerous system where an inspector has to visit your home to see the facilities and see have you any experience with dogs and what you intend to feed it with. And you pay for that dogs stay in the shelter.

This is really where dog ownership should be heading in this country. It's ok talking about everyone else but it needs to apply to all dogs. Working dogs included. If the animal is cared for properly there should be no fear of a system being brought in.

This is where the IFA should be lobbying to regulate the system. Going by herdquitters reaction though there would be some unease within from farmers. But it needs to be done to have a semblance of responsible dog ownership brought in.
    Otherwise it's all optics and as we say the merry go round again.

Provide a good bit of employment too.

Dog wardens are afraid to enforce the licenses and guards won't do it, ****ing public service problem again. I tell ye the public service do nothing. every area of the PS do as they like. It wouldn't do everyone of you a bit of harm to do some voluntary lobbying on farm issues, you'd see how rotten the PS is

wrangler wrote: »
    Dog wardens are afraid to enforce the licenses and guards won't do it, ****ing public service problem again. I tell ye the public service do nothing. every area of the PS do as they like. It wouldn't do everyone of you a bit of harm to do some voluntary lobbying on farm issues, you'd see how rotten the PS is
    I'd vote for you on a ballot paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I agree with you. I have no problem with showing my dog license to a Garda or dog warden if they come to look for it, nor do I have a problem with them scanning the dog to see if it is microchipped and registered in my name. The inspection service should be paid for by the monies received through the licence fee or the fines applied to those who haven't got a licence and/or their dog not microchipped and registered in their name/address.

Dog ownership should be a privilege and not an automatic right. Successive governments have failed badly in this area when it comes to the issue of dog attacks, number of dogs that are put down in pounds, general animal welfare issues etc. The fact that we are known as the Puppy farming capital of Europe also says aloft about the attitude to such issues here:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'd vote for you on a ballot paper.

I've been to more of those dog warden meetings than was good for me. wasters.
    A neighbour phoned me lately to tell me there was gurriers exercising dogs on my land, I laughed and told her to ask them for their dog licenses .
    I'm off to bed now rather than listen to the whinge from tallaght hospital on RTE

Advertisement