Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Base price wrote: »
    My Mam used to take a nip off a Crunchie bar when heading to bed in her latter years - before that she used to smoke a Sweet Afton cigarette.

My mam was the same. She used to love emerald sweets. She used to smoke silk cut red.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    How's your oh doing?
    Was at the sports injury clinic with OH. The consultant said that he can drive but he cannot do any physical work. He has to go back in six weeks for a review.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Was at the sports injury clinic with OH. The consultant said that he can drive but he cannot do any physical work. He has to go back in six weeks for a review.

I reckon hes bluffing base :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

My Mam used to take a nip off a Crunchie bar when heading to bed in her latter years - before that she used to smoke a Sweet Afton cigarette.

You've just reminded me of my nephew with the sawn hand, he used to do maintenance for liliy Obrien chocolates. One of the times he was working there they were developing a resealable bar of chocolate. He couldn't get over that anyone would need a resealable bar of chocolate...... this guy doesn't even need a resealable jar of nutella.
    Just an up date on his hand, they tell him that'll there's only a 10% chance it'd ever be safe in a work situation.
    Social welfare have refused to give him anything, he hasn't had any income since early December. His ex, a nurse has only worked three weeks since then and is fully paid but gives him nothing, incidentally she has about 3 or four years of holidays/sick leave used up so it's not as if she has holidays saved up. she gets regular covid tests as well to entitle her to time off .
    Two very different worlds eh

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Is he ok to drive the lorry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭Jb1989

wrangler wrote: »
    You've just reminded me of my nephew with the sawn hand, he used to do maintenance for liliy Obrien chocolates. One of the times he was working there they were developing a resealable bar of chocolate. He couldn't get over that anyone would need a resealable bar of chocolate...... this guy doesn't even need a resealable jar of nutella.
    Just an up date on his hand, they tell him that'll there's only a 10% chance it'd ever be safe in a work situation.
    Social welfare have refused to give him anything, he hasn't had any income since early December. His ex, a nurse has only worked three weeks since then and is fully paid but gives him nothing, incidentally she has about 3 or four years of holidays/sick leave used up so it's not as if she has holidays saved up. she gets regular covid tests as well to entitle her to time off .

That's tough wrangler, and him at such a young age, hope something unexpectedly good comes his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I have heard of people getting onto TDS about stuff like that. I know I would be looking at every Avenue.

It’s a very unfortunate and stressful situation for him. On top of the injury. I do hope there is some bit of a positive outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Surely he must have some kind of personal accident insurance. The time of my accident I drew on my own policy and I was a member of the ifa at the time and drew off them as well. Amazing what time and a bit of willpower will do. I was told I would have a permanent limp which I don't I do however have severe pain if I do too much, like yesterday spreading slurry all day and in the calving and lambing pens most of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I have heard of people getting onto TDS about stuff like that. I know I would be looking at every Avenue.

It’s a very unfortunate and stressful situation for him. On top of the injury. I do hope there is some bit of a positive outcome.

I told him to bury his pride and hound them, it's unbelieveable these days to be left with nothing, but he was unbelieveably reckless to be selfemployed without some income insurance.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Is he ok to drive the lorry?
    Yes but the consultant said to be careful getting in and out of the lorry, tractors etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

I told him to bury his pride and hound them, it's unbelieveable these days to be left with nothing, but he was unbelieveably reckless to be selfemployed without some income insurance.

That's the only way to do it, also get onto his local TDs, might be one out of lot of them that might make a phone call to get things rolling for him.

Friend of mine was in the same position after a stroke and took him ages to get it sorted. It all depends who you get at the end of the phone..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

See Shannon Rescue were down in West Cork near Goleen. Heard them passing on their way to Cork Airport. Dirty day to be out.

Along with the free Tayto and 7up afterwards, makes it the best day out available at the moment

The VFI have missed a trick here, if they brought back Guinness to the post donation selection I bet they'd happen to have thousands of Blood Donation Centres available to open tomorrow morning.

The VFI have missed a trick here, if they brought back Guinness to the post donation selection I bet they'd happen to have thousands of Blood Donation Centres available to open tomorrow morning.

They could do better and get Guinness to sponsor it.

Water John wrote: »
    They could do better and get Guinness to sponsor it.

Somewhere between Kerry & Dublin there's a flatcap twitching at the thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭minerleague

Sweet afton brings back memories, father smoked them here, tried to give up late in life but had to have something else so would go through packets of Fox glacier mints.

Sweet afton brings back memories, father smoked them here, tried to give up late in life but had to have something else so would go through packets of Fox glacier mints.
    Mam only smoked the one cigarette at night although if she got a shock or bad news she smoke one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Mam only smoked the one cigarette at night although if she got a shock or bad news she smoke one.

That's a nice way to enjoy a smoke , I'd love to be able to have one or two a day and leave it at that . Unfortunately I'm a glutton and wouldn't stop , I was getting through 60/70 a day before I gave them up .

Bullocks, I expect you're changing your name to Ox, in honour of the Chinese New Year, strong, reliable, fair and conscientious.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Murang

My neighbour rang me to say he has 4 cows gone down with Tb are they now testing all his neighbours or what is the story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭tanko

Murang wrote: »
    My neighbour rang me to say he has 4 cows gone down with Tb are they now testing all his neighbours or what is the story

I'd say your herd will be locked up until you do a clear test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭DBK1

Murang wrote: »
    I have 3 joining farms that went down last summer. I’m now on a 4 month test cycle. The first of that cycle was in November and thankfully mine was all clear. I’m due again on 21st of March now. I got letters from the department to say 2 of them 3 are now clear again so hopefully the 3rd will get the all clear soon and I’ll be off the 4 month cycle.

Apart from the extra test’s my herd was in no way restricted. I’ve been buying and selling as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Not farming, but you might get a laugh out of this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QchwVJAftyM&t=5s

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,527 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Congratulations K.G on becoming a moderator..:p :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Are we starting a herd of them?? :pac:

They're breeding :eek:

A herd of ag mods grazes the boards plains. Watch as they start their migration to After Hours looking for fresh fodder to sustain their journey to their eventual destination in the DIY forum. :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Congratulations K.G on becoming a moderator..:p :)

He was our most successful undercover moderator. 7 days incognito.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

A herd of ag mods grazes the boards plains. Watch as they start their migration to After Hours looking for fresh fodder to sustain their journey to their eventual destination in the DIY forum. :pac:

OR....

They may find themselves on..... The Dark Side.

The V&V forum.....!!

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

greysides wrote: »
    He was our most successful undercover moderator. 7 days incognito.

I think we may appoint someone to keep track of these covert tactics.

Some say he knows how to fire an AK47.
    Others that he knows which way is east just by looking at a belmac tanker.
    All we know is he's called ......

:D

Advertisement