Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I've been spreading the love this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I've been spreading the love this year.

Is bass sending you Snapchats too :)

No Snapchat is reserved for interesting daily encounters and whatever rooting some of us got up to during the day. Cattle, marts and jeeps are usually the main themes, this farming craic definitely is a disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Jb1989 wrote: »
    You've nothing to worry about :)

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Our sky dish blew off the bracket so no sky. Daughter has a now tv stick do we watched Derry girls, never saw it before. Really good show. Watched about 5 of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

whelan2 wrote: »
    Our sky dish blew off the bracket so no sky. Daughter has a now tv stick do we watched Derry girls, never saw it before. Really good show. Watched about 5 of them.

just listen from 1:26 on, without viewing the actors, it has a better impact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j0OF-TlyAY

I first heard the script on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭tanko

That young lad in the weanling ring in Dowra got a fair belt, broken leg i'd say.

I was watching that sale thinking the way those gates are set up is asking for trouble.

tanko wrote: »
    That young lad in the weanling ring in Dowra got a fair belt, broken leg i'd say.

I was watching that sale thinking the way those gates are set up is asking for trouble.

The cow ring is a danger because there's no were to go apart from into the scales or behind the gate where they leave the ring. There was a man locally used to do the ring for the cow's and as soon as a wild cow left the scales he'd run into it and close the door. Depending on how relations with the lads sorting the cattle behind the scales were they'd often put another cow into the scales behind his back (he'd usually have done something to deserve it). Of course he was now between a rock and a hard place and he'd usually end up on top of the scales roaring abuse and threats at his coworkers. It's some spot on a busy day and you'd definitely earn your wages about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not going to comment on the specific but thought insurance cos would insist on a safety escape. A Health and Safety Officer certainly would.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,527 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Is it just me being a contrary oul fecker, or it this "Jerusalem Challange" the worst, most cringe worthy "dance" ever?
    Slow aerobics, with a taste of poor step-dancing.
    What on earth is all the fuss about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Is it just me being a contrary oul fecker, or it this "Jerusalem Challange" the worst, most cringe worthy "dance" ever?

Well the way I look at it if the young ones aren't talking or looking at it. It must be cringe. Haven't seen it myself but the little one here hasn't said anything about it to me. And she has a handle on everything even covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Odelay

Pure cringe at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

The cow ring is a danger because there's no were to go apart from into the scales or behind the gate where they leave the ring. There was a man locally used to do the ring for the cow's and as soon as a wild cow left the scales he'd run into it and close the door. Depending on how relations with the lads sorting the cattle behind the scales were they'd often put another cow into the scales behind his back (he'd usually have done something to deserve it). Of course he was now between a rock and a hard place and he'd usually end up on top of the scales roaring abuse and threats at his coworkers. It's some spot on a busy day and you'd definitely earn your wages about it.
    I know there’s little margin and improvement cost money plus finding the time as sales are every week but my opinion looking at all local (Leitrim) marts is that they need a complete remodel with stress, safety and flow of both man and beast

I know there’s little margin and improvement cost money plus finding the time as sales are every week but my opinion looking at all local (Leitrim) marts is that they need a complete remodel with stress, safety and flow of both man and beast

Traditional cattle marts selling sheep through the calf or heifers ring are models of inefficiency, and needless and stressful moving of the animals.
    Put a scales at the building entranceand weigh the group, then pen them and let the auctioneer move around.
    Let the camera man and Clerk follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Traditional cattle marts selling sheep through the calf or heifers ring are models of inefficiency, and needless and stressful moving of the animals.
    Put a scales at the building entranceand weigh the group, then pen them and let the auctioneer move around.
    Let the camera man and Clerk follow.

Marts eye have this system in some sheep sales. Since lock down don't know if the auctioneer is in the ring or not. Very good system.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,527 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Tis better than watching the overalls drying on the stove.. :)
    (Which is my alternative atm.) :o

Can't exactly do a Conga line during covid.

It's just you Nek. :D

It's just a harmless bit of human interconnection in these times.

Tis better than watching the overalls drying on the stove.. :)
    (Which is my alternative atm.) :o

Can't exactly do a Conga line during covid.

It's just you Nek. :D

:D

There's always going to be room for improvement and anything that improves safety, animal welfare and efficiency is worth serious consideration. However there are limitations to what can be achieved as you have outlined above. That's not to say that changes shouldn't be made but some marts would require drastic remodeling to achieve these changes.

As with everything even small changes can make a big difference, having less people in the yard during the sale, a chute feeding the scales as opposed to just separating stock into a serious of pens etc. Some marts don't require the lots to enter the ring in catalogue order, there penned in rotation and whatever order they run up the chute into the scales is the way there sold. This is a big safety improvement imo as a lot of injuries I've seen staff receiving have occurred either in or behind the ring when stock are isolated from each other.

• Advertisement

What would be wrong with recording the individual animal weights in the intake crush? Easy to combine lots weight and run straight from the pens to the ring.

Water John wrote: »
    What would be wrong with recording the individual animal weights in the intake crush? Easy to combine lots weight and run straight from the pens to the ring.

That's a possibility although I don't see much of a difference between weighing them before entering the ring as opposed to in the chute. Even if the weight was prerecorded you'd still have to split them someway before entering the ring which is one of most dangerous parts of the whole process. A chute feeding the scales and ring is the best solution imo, there easily handled once there in the chute. It's getting them into it and when they emerge into the ring that the problems really arise.

Water John wrote: »

The problem with our local mart is that the scales /ring used for sheep is is in the middle of the complex, and the animals end up in four rows of small pens, necessitating manoeuvring through other pens and corridors to get to the scales. Then out through the ring and back to a small pen.
    Then at sale time, repeat the above.

The problem with our local mart is that the scales /ring used for sheep is is in the middle of the complex, and the animals end up in four rows of small pens, necessitating manoeuvring through other pens and corridors to get to the scales. Then out through the ring and back to a small pen.
    Then at sale time, repeat the above.

If the inlet for sheep was on the side door as per calves with a sheep weigh bridge
    The 3rd ring or even let the auctioneer walk about like other marts

Also if I got a chance I’d change the pens & leave easier to move & pen stock

That's a possibility although I don't see much of a difference between weighing them before entering the ring as opposed to in the chute. Even if the weight was prerecorded you'd still have to split them someway before entering the ring which is one of most dangerous parts of the whole process. A chute feeding the scales and ring is the best solution imo, there easily handled once there in the chute. It's getting them into it and when they emerge into the ring that the problems really arise.
    Sometimes there’s hassle getting stock on & off the weighbridge, out the gate & into the ring would eliminate that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Happy St. Valentines day everyone. I hope ye all got spoilt rotten :)

If the inlet for sheep was on the side door as per calves with a sheep weigh bridge
    The 3rd ring or even let the auctioneer walk about like other marts

Also if I got a chance I’d change the pens & leave easier to move & pen stock

Putting sheep through the ring is a recipe for hardship imo and I don't see any reason why fat or store sheep can't be sold in the pens. If there was a weighbridge set up at the intake then there's no reason why they couldn't remain in the one pen for the duration. Putting them through the ring and re-penning them after sale is very labour intensive plus sheep will get mixed and go missing from the bunches. I work in marts that sell everything through the ring and it's very hectic with sheep moving through the yard and you'd want a small army of staff to make it work.

Perhaps a case could be made for putting breeding rams or hoggets through the ring to allow a better look at them but I don't see the point in doing it with fat sheep or stores.

Sometimes there’s hassle getting stock on & off the weighbridge, out the gate & into the ring would eliminate that

I see some marts have the scales set up in such a way that it can accommodate a single animal in a space they can't turn around in alongside a larger area for groups. If the scales was fed from a chute with sliding doors or some form of an anti backing device there shouldn't be much issue with getting stock on or off it. If an animal can turn around they usually will where as if they can only keep going forward then that's the way they'll go.

Trying to put a single animal into a large weighbridge from a pen is always going to prove challenging. The tighter you can keep them the better in my experience which is what the chute concept capitalises on. Also a few sheets of stock board or similar screwed to a gate can make a big difference because by and large if an animal can't see out then they won't go in that direction.

• Advertisement

For those interested in country music there is a live streamed concert on ATM;
    valentinesconcert.ie.

Advertisement