Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

whelan2 wrote: »
    I remember ringing someone a few years ago and her brother answered and said there's no one home

He may have been honest with you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

Birdnuts wrote: »
    NZ are now spending vast amounts of money saving whats left of their natural heritage from invasive species - actually reminds me that Norway recently classed Sitka Spruce as a "destructive invasive species".

Sitka is a perfectly good tree and by far the most suitable and productive for this country. Probably the ONLY tree worth growing economically. Our sawmilling sector prefers Sitka over all other species.

Remember the vast majority of our crops are not native - barley, wheat, oats, beet, rape, kale, turnips, even ryegrass.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The sawmill might prefer Sitka but not the carpenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The sawmill prefer it because it as soft as butter.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

You can be that shaved fella who lost his grandfather.

Got my own shaved this evening for charity. Fairly cowld now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Suck it up. Ya finally dont look like a homeless dude

The wife must be delighted

Reggie. wrote: »
    Suck it up. Ya finally dont look like a homeless dude

The wife must be delighted

Quite the opposite, Reggie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

I've passed the mullet stage thankfully about 6 weeks ago and now heading towards grizzly adams stage in hair growth. Wonder will the 70s hair styles get popular again..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Good loser wrote: »
    Sitka is a perfectly good tree and by far the most suitable and productive for this country. Probably the ONLY tree worth growing economically. Our sawmilling sector prefers Sitka over all other species.

Alot of spruce plantations in the West are near right offs due to windthrow, poor sighting and planting. Indeed a forestry guy we had on our place looking at a site I wanted to do for the native woodland scheme said many areas in the NW will probably not be re-planted. Alot of the stuff that comes out of spruce plantations that you see being transported around the country appears to be of little use for anything other than cheap pulp

NcdJd wrote: »
    I've passed the mullet stage thankfully about 6 weeks ago and now heading towards grizzly adams stage in hair growth. Wonder will the 70s hair styles get popular again..

Going through a 70's glam rock phase myself atm - think Alvin Stardust, The Sweet, Mud etc. Below is a link to very funny(but brilliant classic from my fav band) called "Little Willy" :D;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM6I-pmV0RA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Haha, heard of that band. Thom Pace level myself hence the grizzly adams.. just need to get the flashy shirt and flares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2sL0CPWQc4

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Alot of spruce plantations in the West are near right offs due to windthrow, poor sighting and planting. Indeed a forestry guy we had on our place looking at a site I wanted to do for the native woodland scheme said many areas in the NW will probably not be re-planted. Alot of the stuff that comes out of spruce plantations that you see being transported around the country appears to be of little use for anything other than cheap pulp

On the carbon question, if the timber is either sawn into boards, chipped for particle board, or pulped for paper is the carbon not retained in the product?
    Only the proportion left to rot down, or burned releases the carbon back into the cycle?

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    On the carbon question, if the timber is either sawn into boards, chipped for particle board, or pulped for paper is the carbon not retained in the product?
    Only the proportion left to rot down, or burned releases the carbon back into the cycle?

To a certain extent - problem is that on peaty soils the amount of draining, ploughing, fert application etc. needed for that type of plantation forestry releases vast amounts of Carbon which chipboard/pulp quality timber does not mitigate to any great extent. Hence the headlines concerning Irish forestry that came out yesterday

NcdJd wrote: »
    Haha, heard of that band. Thom Pace level myself hence the grizzly adams.. just need to get the flashy shirt and flares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2sL0CPWQc4

I still have the beard - not so much the hair:pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

It's a rough night out there now, there'll definitely be floods if this continues. I dropped off a few weanlings for a neighbor on the way home and I got soaked to the skin in less than 90 second's letting them off. You'd pity any beast at the back of a hedge tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

As I recall on average any tree cut down approx only 50% is usable as timber (containing approx 50 % of carbon) All the remaining sequestered carbon included in the bark, leaves, branches etc gets released back into the atmosphere through decay or burning.

Though even that carbon capture and release is effected by other factors

Also carbon calculations also have take any carbon release into account due to timber transportation and drying as well.

An interesting read on this I found a while ago.

https://medium.com/the-philipendium/trees-and-carbon-dioxide-what-is-the-truth-c7f8c9d12602

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

if your'e the bloke on twitter just threw a couple of euro to your cause last night, if not well done anyhow

orm0nd wrote: »
    if your'e the bloke on twitter just threw a couple of euro to your cause last night, if not well done anyhow

That’s me. Thanks Orm0nd. I would have been donkeys years figuring out who it was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Cormac tagging are offering 5 free tags with every order of new tags in before the 15th of next month.
    https://twitter.com/CormacTagging/status/1322244497988870145?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Desperate morning here. Lots of debris. My wee lassie is limping badly so I'm off to the vet. Have a safe weekend all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Seamus O'Rourke on the start of Championship football
    https://twitter.com/ballsdotie/status/1322470870930071552?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Poor auld sean Connery has biten the dust

Best James Bond ever imo. Never knew he had been a milkman once upon a time
    Connery was raised in near poverty in the slums of Edinburgh and worked as a coffin polisher, milkman and lifeguard before his bodybuilding hobby helped launch an acting career that made him one of the world's biggest stars.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/1031/1175107-james-bond-actor-sean-connery-dies-aged-90/

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

This is the best Connery factoid I know
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/O.K._Connery

I actually met him and his wife at Punchestown races about 30 years ago. Oozed charisma and presence - wife was a striking lady too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

gozunda wrote: »
    As I recall on average any tree cut down approx only 50% is usable as timber (containing approx 50 % of carbon) All the remaining sequestered carbon included in the bark, leaves, branches etc gets released back into the atmosphere through decay or burning.

Though even that carbon capture and release is effected by other factors

Also carbon calculations also have take any carbon release into account due to timber transportation and drying as well.

An interesting read on this I found a while ago.

https://medium.com/the-philipendium/trees-and-carbon-dioxide-what-is-the-truth-c7f8c9d12602

All the brash left after harvesting, yes of course.
    The local place beside me makes posts, and all the bark, sawdust, peelings and bits cut off when pointing them, all goes to Masonite to be made into particle board.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

The shine quickly goes off him when you see his attitude to women.
    And I'm the last man to get all woke but Connery in interview went on the record justifying hitting the wife.

All the brash left after harvesting, yes of course.
    The local place beside me makes posts, and all the bark, sawdust, peelings and bits cut off when pointing them, all goes to Masonite to be made into particle board.

Good video here showing how much gets stripped off. I think the estimated amount of carbon in a tree roots is about 20%. Once the tree is felled that starts to break down as well

https://youtu.be/JbcKyxm0EN0?t=1m

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

gozunda wrote: »
    Good video here showing how much gets stripped off. I think the estimated amount of carbon in a tree roots is about 15%. Once the tree is felled that starts to break down as well

https://youtu.be/JbcKyxm0EN0?t=1m

Every second row of trees were taken out of a local forestry here and all the trash was left so I presume that's releasing carbon now.
    I think the climate change experts may think it out again..... the idiots.
    It's ironic that most of it is going to burn for electricity, thousands of tons were stacked here locally for burning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

wrangler wrote: »
    Every second row of trees were taken out of a local forestry here and all the trash was left so I presume that's releasing carbon now.
    I think the climate change experts may think it out again..... the idiots.
    It's ironic that most of it is going to burn for electricity, thousands of tons were stacked here locally for burning
    How much oil and coal will that wood replace?

Advertisement