Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

Hoax, they have thousands taken off people around the place.

Should've let them access my account, the negative vacuum in there might've brought some € my way :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Serious twine there. Isnt there a herd of them on The Burren?

There’s a few around. There is Lad in Connolly and that lad I think is from kilfenora. There is also some public walkway owned by a Dutch lad who has bees etc, that place is on my list to visit post lock down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

There's a herd in Waterford and a herd that is active on twitter kylebroughlan? Belties or something. There's another herd in Kilkenny that are also often featured on social media Cluainview I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Waterford herd is on the Knockmealdown Mountains. Not sure does he direct sell the meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Water John wrote: »
    The Waterford herd is on the Knockmealdown Mountains. Not sure does he direct sell the meat.

The herd I saw were near Dunhill/ Tramore

• Advertisement

I'm just dragging it up from some memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

There’s a few around. There is Lad in Connolly and that lad I think is from kilfenora. There is also some public walkway owned by a Dutch lad who has bees etc, that place is on my list to visit post lock down.

No there's none in kilfenora, 2 fellas in kilnaboy have them though. That's where those 2 originated from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

No there's none in kilfenora, 2 fellas in kilnaboy have them though. That's where those 2 originated from.

That was it, kilnaboy. Apologies. There might be fields of them yet.

There's a herd in Waterford and a herd that is active on twitter kylebroughlan? Belties or something. There's another herd in Kilkenny that are also often featured on social media Cluainview I think.

Cluainview I think is in Waterford, follow them on FB, very good info on their page.

Water John, are you thinking of Joe Condon, he has black Galloways on the Tipp/Waterford border.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Only had a quick glance at the journal earlier. Makes for grim reading-fertiliser is going up by the day it seems. Possible 40% increase to vet meds.
    New cap reform could use other income to determine genuine farmer. That’d come against the way part time lad. I didn’t finish reading the rest yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Only had a quick glance at the journal earlier. Makes for grim reading-fertiliser is going up by the day it seems. Possible 40% increase to vet meds.
    New cap reform could use other income to determine genuine farmer. That’d come against the way part time lad. I didn’t finish reading the rest yet!

I have stopped buying it. I'm depressed enough without reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Interesting - how would the other income test work I wonder?

It would impact me personally, but wouldn't make or beak me. But is it better for the industry overall?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Interesting - how would the other income test work I wonder?

It would impact me personally, but wouldn't make or beak me. But is it better for the industry overall?

Would it reduce the amount of people farming part time?. Seems like a move towards more intensive farming practices rather than a high amount of farmers in Ireland being small/part time. That measure is only going to squeeze the lads that probably need assistance or punish lads who run a tight ship and work aswell. If two lads (A+B) had 40 acres of the same type land Farmer A could be relying on it as his sole income, Farmer b could be putting in his hours part time because he has invested in facilities to reduce time on the farm and working full time also. Why should B be penalised for that?. Might cause people issues also with a wife/partner working off farm?.

It mostly reads like a tabloid, everything is a crises. I still buy as it can have a few good art and I love a crossword.

herdquitter, yeah Joe Condon, hidden somewhere in my little grey cells.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Would it reduce the amount of people farming part time?. Seems like a move towards more intensive farming practices rather than a high amount of farmers in Ireland being small/part time. That measure is only going to squeeze the lads that probably need assistance or punish lads who run a tight ship and work aswell. If two lads (A+B) had 40 acres of the same type land Farmer A could be relying on it as his sole income, Farmer b could be putting in his hours part time because he has invested in facilities to reduce time on the farm and working full time also. Why should B be penalised for that?. Might cause people issues also with a wife/partner working off farm?.

Every proposal is going to have for and against and everyone driving their own angle, they're not going to suit everyone.
    Most farms has at least one partner working outside the farm so they needn't even go there

It mostly reads like a tabloid, everything is a crises. I still buy as it can have a few good art and I love a crossword.

herdquitter, yeah Joe Condon, hidden somewhere in my little grey cells.

The early 2000s I used to really look forward to the IFJ as they always were reporting increasing in subs, they were good years, It's not quite so exciting now, reductions in subs and increases in costs so really can IFJ do anything only report what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Yesterday evening's twins, bull like the Dad, heifer like the mother.

twins 18 Feb 21.jpg

Last night's Heifer calf finding her feet

Heifer 19 Feb 21.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

wrangler wrote: »
    The early 2000s I used to really look forward to the IFJ as they always were reporting increasing in subs, they were good years, It's not quite so exciting now, reductions in subs and increases in costs so really can IFJ do anything only report what's happening.

How much is the journal now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Odelay

Yesterday evening's twins, bull like the Dad, heifer like the mother.

twins 18 Feb 21.jpg

Last night's Heifer calf finding her feet

Heifer 19 Feb 21.jpg

Are the planks against the wall a good job or would you have preferred shuttered walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

That’s a brilliant way of explaining it. I hate the way they are drip feeding information. It can’t help but make people anxious. The worst is not knowing

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    How much is the journal now

Don't know, we get it online, OH wouldn't have changed to online if there wasn't an offer sometime. I barely read it now, boards is as near as I get to anything farming

€3.30 and being an eejit I don't put it in as a business cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I see in the Journal that the national herd size has fallen for the third year in a row. Dairy cow numbers are up but beef cows are down. I assume that live exports to Northern Ireland etc had a effect on overall numbers.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/size-of-national-cattle-herd-falls-for-third-consecutive-year-603528

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭148multi

That was it, kilnaboy. Apologies. There might be fields of them yet.

Some being sold in drumshanbo, making good money.
    There's a lad beside me with them, from what I see you'll be brilliant at the marathons if you buy them.

wrangler wrote: »
    Every proposal is going to have for and against and everyone driving their own angle, they're not going to suit everyone.
    Most farms has at least one partner working outside the farm so they needn't even go there

If they did assess based on joint income the majority of people would see a reduction I think?. Be interesting to see what comes of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Its an unfair system no matter which way you go Kev...

It seems the government define the BPS it as an income support

If it is an income support, is it fair that the same income support is given to people that already have large off-farm incomes?
    If we feel it is, then is it also unfair than payments of 100k are being reduced?

The fairest way, is to divide the overall budget by the the number of acres in the country, and if you farm the acres, you get the payment. Payments are tied to land, not to farmers. But, not sure that's a runner...

I don't know what the answer is Kev. As was said earlier, there will be winners and losers no matter what happens...

I guess my question is should people who want to be full-time farmers be supported more than others?

If you receive a BPS income support, are you a full time farmer? Now solve that conundrum.

Its an unfair system no matter which way you go Kev...

It seems the government define the BPS it as an income support

If it is an income support, is it fair that the same income support is given to people that already have large off-farm incomes?
    If we feel it is, then is it also unfair than payments of 100k are being reduced?

The fairest way, is to divide the overall budget by the the number of acres in the country, and if you farm the acres, you get the payment. Payments are tied to land, not to farmers. But, not sure that's a runner...

I don't know what the answer is Kev. As was said earlier, there will be winners and losers no matter what happens...

I guess my question is should people who want to be full-time farmers be supported more than others?

It's an interesting topic. Just the way I see it written is it would reduce any interest people had in diversifying etc. Would it hamper a man who does a bit of contracting or maybe someone who came up with a labour saving idea and sold it etc as the income from that would affect the other. The definition of a full time farmer would need to be very clear I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Odelay wrote: »
    Are the planks against the wall a good job or would you have preferred shuttered walls?

I posted this in the wrong thread, asleep at the wheel today.

The calving shed is only a temporary stop over for them, the most they will be in there for is 3 days. The planks are warm and draught free, resting on a concrete lip (about 18 inches high).

• Advertisement

If you receive a BPS income support, are you a full time farmer? Now solve that conundrum.

A farm tour from scotland visited here in the 1990s, I had 50 sucklers and 200 ewes , visiting farmers didn't reckon it was a full time farm, that I should double both enterprises. I thought I was busy enough but that's the level they were thinking at the time.
    Do they set minimum livestock units to define full time farmer

Advertisement