Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Water John wrote: »
    If you receive a BPS income support, are you a full time farmer? Now solve that conundrum.

I'm not anyways... At some point, I had to decline that I worked a minimum of 50% the time of my off-farm job on the farm...

So in some 'filing ke-abinet' somewhere, I am recorded as not a full-time farmer but yet getting a BPS... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

This day 20 years ago was the start of the FMD outbreak in the UK.

A horrible time and horrible memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I was pregnant at the time. Eldest lad was born in March 2001. Checkpoints on the way to the hospital disinfecting the tyres of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Man next door to me here was locked up with BSE since Sept 99. Dept were dragging their heels on depopulation. Once FMD was declared in the UK our boys here got the lead out and had the herd gone in a week. He says he'd probably be still looking at the cows only for the FMD outbreak.
    I was in his house one Sunday and we watching SKY news showing bulldozers digging pits and carcasses being lobbed into them and fires burning.
    He bought a new herd after a few months and then was locked up with brucellosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

Sure if covid ever disappears, f & m will only be around the corner no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

There was a great buy in from the general public to keep it out of Ireland, and they had no skin in the game so to speak. I feel if it were to happen now, especially giving the way some people are totally ignorant of covid, less respect/understanding for farming and social media being a platform for misinformation, that it wouldn’t be as easy deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Water John wrote: »
    €3.30 and being an eejit I don't put it in as a business cost.

I prefer the Farming Indo myself - not perfect, but doesn't push a certain narrow agenda as much as the IFJ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

whelan2 wrote: »
    I was pregnant at the time. Eldest lad was born in March 2001. Checkpoints on the way to the hospital disinfecting the tyres of the car.

It's gas, and this has been mentioned many times, but in many ways, FMD was taken a lot more seriously in terms of biosecurity by both the government and the population .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,529 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Came in from the morning work in the yard to be told a travelling salesman called to the dwelling house door offering angle grinders and power tools for sale.
    Lucky there was someone in the house to greet the salesman. Who politely told the salesman minus a mask that they were ok for such tools.

Mind yourselves folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭French Toast

Looking at buying a battery impact wrench, anyone who has one says they're a great job. Milwaukee seem well rated, so might chance one of them.

Best place for them online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Looking at buying a battery impact wrench, anyone who has one says they're a great job. Milwaukee seem well rated, so might chance one of them.

You'd get good responses if you post in either the Labour Saving and General Guntering thread - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116350451&postcount=6794 or the Machinery Photo/Discussion thread - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116353772&postcount=2606

Jjameson wrote: »
    I had one yesterday, Ford Focus, selling floodlights.

This lad was in a jeep. Big beard.

Heard someone say the migration has started from limerick to the UK.
    This could be just gathering up cash before Rosslare.

Not welcome. Especially now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭148multi

This lad was in a jeep. Big beard.

Heard someone say the migration has started from limerick to the UK.
    This could be just gathering up cash before Rosslare.

Not welcome. Especially now.

To be honest they should not be welcome any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I don’t know much about brands but I saw a lad drilling through 5mm steel with a 12mm bit like it was butter. No pressure on the bit at all. I think it was a 5ah Milwaukee.

He said they were the only job for big jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Suckler

I have a Dewalt one. Weapon. Would definitely recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I have a Milwaukee tool kit here and the impact gun is part of it. Handy tool to have but if your not careful it can shear a bolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

davidk1394 wrote: »
    I have a Milwaukee tool kit here and the impact gun is part of it. Handy tool to have but if your not careful it can shear a bolt.

You would want to know the max torque of the wrench.

Currently looking at this impact gun
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1791812984318704&id=760237780809568

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Reggie. wrote: »
    You would want to know the max torque of the wrench.

Currently looking at this impact gun
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1791812984318704&id=760237780809568

I use the torque bar to finish the job. Especially replacing flails on the hedge cutter. If your buying the gun buy the impact sockets to. Easier on the gun and the bolts.

davidk1394 wrote: »
    I use the torque bar to finish the job. Especially replacing flails on the hedge cutter. If your buying the gun buy the impact sockets to. Easier on the gun and the bolts.

Torquing the hedgecutter. We just tighten them up. No point being too fancy

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jim Simmental

If you open the passenger door, and look at the edge of the dash, there should be a key hole to disable it.

But that would be in my Toyota car so I presume it’s the same.

Best of luck with it.

Thanks for your reply, looks like it’s not a running, there is nothing in the Jeep which I can manually turn the airbag off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Reggie. wrote: »
    Torquing the hedgecutter. We just tighten them up. No point being too fancy

Are you driving one now, are you working for OS

Did 25km run. Took a very mountainy route. Tired from it now. Was within 4/5km of a pub in the middle of nowhere that might have been a stop off for a pint but for Covid. You’d wonder will it ever re open again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Did 25km run. Took a very mountainy route. Tired from it now. Was within 4/5km of a pub in the middle of nowhere that might have been a stop off for a pint but for Covid. You’d wonder will it ever re open again.

What sort of elevation. 25k is a big run

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Any recomendations on a smart comfortable pair of boots wouldnt be worn on farm or on site and would need to be non steel toe cap TIA.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Any recomendations on a smart comfortable pair of boots wouldnt be worn on farm or on site and would need to be non steel toe cap TIA.

Hiking boots?. I've a pair of regatta ones that are great

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    What sort of elevation. 25k is a big run

279m gain- 200 max, 69 min whatever that means.a lot of ups and downs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Hiking boots?. I've a pair of regatta ones that are great

Nah just a pair of ankle boots really, cant warm to the dealer ones personally.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Bought a pair of cat boots a few years ago. $200 dollars. Comfortable and not bulky. If jeans or trousers are down over them you would think they were a shoe. Most money I ever spent on shoes

An easy to listen to ramble from Russel Brand on the farmers protest in India, big tech information harvesting, globalisation and basically control for increased profits for the few. Might wrankle with some but there's sense there to me. Don't think it can be stopped but even with rumours in our own little country first with Goodmans buying Slaney meats and no objections and now with Goodmans rumours of selling to the Brazilian JBS group. Who if true with the click of a mouse could close down our industry. So we're not exactly immune from globalisation and rationalization. (We already know of Ulster Bank.)
    Long gone the days of the backyard butchers. Closed down by our dept in favour of "progress " to the Goodman group who now could be taken over by the Brazilians.

Anyway. Russel Brand.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158077805938177&id=21641548176

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    Are you driving one now, are you working for OS

I was. Council finished with me now so I'm off for the summer.

Advertisement