Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What do ye think of the photo of Gordon Elliott on a dead horse?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

whelan2 wrote: »

I'd be more critical of the photographer for spreading it actually.
    I often sat on anything that was near if there was a chance of a good chat on the phone.

who here would sit on a dead animal, have to say I probably would

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Omar Devone Little

wrangler wrote: »
    I often sat on anything that was near if there was a chance of a good chat on the phone.

Yes of course it’s the photographer fault.

Next time I read some “farmers love their animals” post, I’ll remember your comment.

Yes of course it’s the photographer fault.

Next time I read some “farmers love their animals” post, I’ll remember your comment.

Mind them when they're alive, that's the important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,531 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

According to the Guardian it was taken last year and there's the possibility of a video of himself and staff partying in a bar during the lockdown being released also.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/mar/01/gordon-elliott-horrific-dead-horse-photo-racing-comment

• Advertisement

According to the Guardian it was taken last year and there's the possibility of a video of himself and staff partying in a bar during the lockdown being released also.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/mar/01/gordon-elliott-horrific-dead-horse-photo-racing-comment

And I saw the Gusrdian reporting last week about 900 cattle on a boat for the last two months and no one will take them in.
    They seem to love sensationalism,
    Elliots an idiot if he's not abiding by the restrictions though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

whelan2 wrote: »

Like obviously deaths are part and parcel of raising animals the big having a laugh while sat on a dead race horse is a bit tasteless, defintly doesn't make the yard look good.

Will the horsey lot care? No but its a bit of bad PR and gives a bit of weight to anti horse industry arguments.

image if a farmer saw a sheep killed and decided to pose with it for a laugh we'd all think they're a bit mad, So I kind of see it like that it makes Elliot look daft

I've no doubt any horse in his care is well looked after while alive mind, given the money involved if nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

It's a bit of a storm in a tea cup.. now he could have gotten a better place to sit, but as a farmer he would be used of the saying "where you have livestock you will have dead stock... It's not nice but it's part of the course. If there was a photo that suggested he had mistreated the animal then that would be a issues. There is people mistreating children in this country & there doesn't be as much written about it any week as there has been about this over the last few days..

There's another thread on the subject in the horse racing forum with 380 posts.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058164470

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Not in a million yrs would I sit on a dead animal.....I’d say not many would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Omar Devone Little

Mind them when they're alive, that's the important thing.

As I said, I’ll remember your comment. You give farmers a bad name. Is it any wonder they’re so unpopular in this country.

BENDYBINN wrote: »

When you're farming you get used to death I suppose.
    I'm an atheist too so believe we're only worm food after

I remember years ago calling into a hunt masters yard as a child with my father bringing a mare to a stallion.

Dead horses, cattle, sheep were all skinned and butchered on the farm and the portions fed to the hounds.

In the field beside the yard was pile of bones with heads and legs attached. All piled up with the tractor loader.

Gordon Elliot is a bit older than me and most likely of the hunting fraternity.
    The horse to him was probably a good seat.
    But it's still a bit senseless by him with the horse still on the gallops.

The photographer and who ever released it knew exactly the type of reaction it would bring.

Just heard on the news he's been temporarily banned from racing horses in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I just watched a few videos about this on Youtube. Christ, what the hell is wrong with people. I suppose, we as farmers are used to dealing with dead animals.
    All these people with their self-righteousness. I'm sure every one of them have ancestors that tracked down animals and killed them. Probably even sat on them at one time.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I remember years ago calling into a hunt masters yard as a child with my father bringing a mare to a stallion.

Dead horses, cattle, sheep were all skinned and butchered on the farm and the portions fed to the hounds.

In the field beside the yard was pile of bones with heads and legs attached. All piled up with the tractor loader.

Gordon Elliot is a bit older than me and most likely of the hunting fraternity.
    The horse to him was probably a good seat.
    But it's still a bit senseless by him with the horse still on the gallops.

The photographer and who ever released it knew exactly the type of reaction it would bring.

Just heard on the news he's been temporarily banned from racing horses in the UK.

It's a bad look to be sitting on a dead horse, but hardly a good reason to get banned from racing.
    Let people have a look at his yard and see how he is treating the livestock he has and then draw conclusions.
    This world has gone mad with sensationalism over screenshots and photos.
    The horse is dead and he is sitting on it making a call (maybe calling the knackery to get it removed)
    Do these people get as bothered about a live horse getting a bit of whip being ridden hard while alive or indeed sitting on a nice genuine leather recliner at home?
    There are a hell of alot live horses people could get outraged over in this country before they need to start worrying about the dead ones

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If I was the owner of the horse I'd be a bit annoyed all right.
    After all the fees he'd been paid a bit of decorum and respect for the animal and the owner would have been in order.
    Dunno what the Guardian and the Great British public is getting het up about, sure they all knew David Cameron had posed with his dick in a dead pigs mouth, and they elected him Prime Minister...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

A grand haze out at dawn and dusk down this way today.reminded me a lot of the South Australian bush in the states South East and the early rises this time last year driving from Mt Gambier to Adelaide for a weekend of R&R. Nothing but black silohuettes of the trees for most of the drive today. A good start to the week for a change this week.

Better living everyone

I just watched a few videos about this on Youtube. Christ, what the hell is wrong with people. I suppose, we as farmers are used to dealing with dead animals.
    All these people with their self-righteousness. I'm sure every one of them have ancestors that tracked down animals and killed them. Probably even sat on them at one time.

It's a cultural change in people.

Look back on the episodes of The Irish RM. And that wasn't filmed all that long ago.
    Florrie Knox was filmed with real dead horses hanging up. And not an eyelid batted by the public at the time.
    Everyone watching took it for normal.

Where will we end up?
    Dog breeding and ownership could even be banned in the future.
    We're moving in a quare direction anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Had a few acres to tidy up with the digger at home that I have been meaning to do with the last few years but never got around to. Let a local young lad at it that used to be spinning around with me in the summer when I was at silage for the local contractor. He would have done small bits on machines but never that much either. Has done a mighty job on it, the place was like the surface of the moon a few days ago and he has all the mootes taken out of it, piles of boulders buried, pulled all the blackthorns growing around the edges of it and is just started grading it now and the bit he has done is like perfect. Said he won't be happy unless he's making bales in it next year. Great to see a fella that interested and knowing he's going to leave it right after him even with a lack of experience. I had to tell him to go home at 8 o clock last night, I'd say he'd still have been there this morning if I didn't.

545529.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Betfair pulled their Elliot sponsorship. Oh the ethics of it, a betting co worried about their image.

• Advertisement

Had a Google, thought it looked a distasteful and unwise thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    I doubt I would either but it's not about sitting on a dead horse - it's about sitting astride on a dead horse and imo that's not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Base price wrote: »
    I doubt I would either but it's not about sitting on a dead horse - it's about sitting astride on a dead horse and imo that's not on.

If we lost an animal here id be like a cnut for 3 days. That photo was an awful kick in the teeth to the owner of thst horse. Shows an awful lack of respect to what puts money in his pocket. I doubt you'd see any of the O'Brien family doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Dad used to say that he used to see the lads sitting on the side of a cow and eat lunch at a knackers yard. It would turn his stomach.

Dad pulled a calf for a neighbour one time and the calf was dead, the neighbour went kicking the calf in frustration. Dad ate him out of it for having no value or respect for the animal.

That photo showed that lad had zero respect for the horse. Granted it was dead but it was disrespectful.as they say, he will have no luck for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I've had a busy day and I didn't get a chance to collect the post from the post box until a few mins ago. Good news is that I got a letter stating I'm mortgage free for the second time in my life and it's definitely the last time - I availed of equity release in 2007. It's such comfort to know I'm finally free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I've had a busy day and I didn't get a chance to collect the post from the post box until a few mins ago. Good news is that I got a letter stating I'm mortgage free for the second time in my life and it's definitely the last time - I availed of equity release in 2007. It's such comfort to know I'm finally free.

My grandfather had a saying that "the bank manager should be your servant not your master"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Well Done

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

TB first round done this morning. We'll see what Friday brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Hell hath no fury like a lover scorned ... it would seem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Is it safe to give copper injection to cattle at turnout or should I leave a week between? I was told that copper can stress the animal for the first few days. I don’t know if it’s true. Thanks

Advertisement