Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Used to be big into horses in my teens, wanted to be a jockey until I had a growth spurt. Was out hunting once and there was a girl a few years older than me on a horse who was absolutely exhausted after a hard day. I said to her "jasus he looks tired" and she replied "if you were between my legs for 4 hours you'd be tired too" 😂😂😂😂😂

That's sounds like a typical horsey woman to me, there a different breed. I've came across a few like that down through the year's and have forgotten half of what used to go on. I've seen rolls of money produced out of bra's and between cash and the other contents it would take good elastic to keep all together. There was a good proportion of what we used to call "relieving officer's" among them although you'd meet the best of people as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Used to be big into horses in my teens, wanted to be a jockey until I had a growth spurt. Was out hunting once and there was a girl a few years older than me on a horse who was absolutely exhausted after a hard day. I said to her "jasus he looks tired" and she replied "if you were between my legs for 4 hours you'd be tired too" ����������

I went to Writtle Ag College in Essex in the 90's. It had a very big equine focus and there were lots and lots and lots of the horsey set from Essex and the home counties there. It wasn't hard to understand why it was so popular with Irish lads doing Ag. Ahh the good old days of a misspent youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

DAFM have extended the TB testing requirement for calves over 42 days old to 120 days old until 1st of June for herd to herd movements from non restricted herds. Calves going for export still need a test if they go over 42 days.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/calf-tb-testing-flexibilities-extended-into-june-606342

• Registered Users Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I went to Writtle Ag College in Essex in the 90's. It had a very big equine focus and there were lots and lots and lots of the horsey set from Essex and the home counties there. It wasn't hard to understand why it was so popular with Irish lads doing Ag. Ahh the good old days of a misspent youth.

You'd feel sorry for those at college at the moment, missing out on the fun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

whelan2 wrote: »
    You'd feel sorry for those at college at the moment, missing out on the fun

Everyones in the one boat these days, were all missing out on the fun.
    I suppose im lucky enough to be working away from home and with a fairly mixed bunch but i definitely wouldnt like to be fulltime on a farm these days during the lockdown.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Everyones in the one boat these days, were all missing out on the fun.
    I suppose im lucky enough to be working away from home and with a fairly mixed bunch but i definitely wouldnt like to be fulltime on a farm these days during the lockdown.

It’s the hypocrisy that drives me nuts, Leo meeting all his mates in templebar knowing it would be a last hooray before **** down of pubs. Telling us not to meet up in parks etc but meeting his mates in the Phoenix park. Telling us classrooms are safe yet renting a massive convention centre with nobody in it to protect themselves. (I totally believe they are safe- I just don’t know why they can’t use the dail)

BLM protest ok even with the violence in Blanchardstown and not reported on yet the antics at the weekend all over the radios etc (both were wrong but some elements of society let off with it)

What they are spending daily for that place could have many a place protected or it would pay for a few more checkpoints. The back road to the beaches of west Clare runs by our farm and it hasn’t been as busy since the main road was closed for 6 months. I was running on it on Sunday probably 25 minutes on that stretch and had to pull in around 15 times for cars and groups of cars.

I’d hate to be a college student now or a single person on the lookout for a partner while watching the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I’d hate to be a college student now or a single person on the lookout for a partner while watching the clock.

There's always Tinder, to pass the time while you keep one eye on the calving camera.

https://swipelife.tinder.com/post/pick-up-lines-for-guys

It’s the hypocrisy that drives me nuts, Leo meeting all his mates in templebar knowing it would be a last hooray before **** down of pubs. Telling us not to meet up in parks etc but meeting his mates in the Phoenix park. Telling us classrooms are safe yet renting a massive convention centre with nobody in it to protect themselves. (I totally believe they are safe- I just don’t know why they can’t use the dail)

BLM protest ok even with the violence in Blanchardstown and not reported on yet the antics at the weekend all over the radios etc (both were wrong but some elements of society let off with it)

What they are spending daily for that place could have many a place protected or it would pay for a few more checkpoints. The back road to the beaches of west Clare runs by our farm and it hasn’t been as busy since the main road was closed for 6 months. I was running on it on Sunday probably 25 minutes on that stretch and had to pull in around 15 times for cars and groups of cars.

Id agree with you 100%, once ive my papers got im off to Oz permenently all going well because of what you described above. Its the same with Gordon Elliot at the moment its all about him while there was an allegation made against an RTE presenter lately who stepped down this week but there hasnt been a whisper about that on the mainstream media.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭DBK1

Id agree with you 100%, once ive my papers got im off to Oz permenently all going well because of what you described above. Its the same with Gordon Elliot at the moment its all about him while there was an allegation made against an RTE presenter lately who stepped down this week but there hasnt been a whisper about that on the mainstream media.
    That’s one thing that’s really irritating me at the minute too. There’s so many programmes on RTE over the past few week/months about the horrendous way so many unfortunate women and children were treated in Ireland over the years. It is 100% right for RTE to be telling these stories so that hopefully nothing like that can ever be allowed to happened again.

But then they just completely ignore the accusations being made by numerous women as regards what happened them at the hands of that RTE presenter when they were all still juveniles and there’s not a peep about it anywhere.

I’m not advocating for trial by media but the very least they should do is come out with a statement to say he has been suspended pending an investigation or something to that effect. Instead they just erased his name from any show he was involved in, he’s gone into hiding and they’re completely ignoring it all in the hope that it’ll blow over.

Compare that then to the hours of coverage given to a man who sat on a dead horse for half a minute and it’s hard to understand what their agenda is.

DBK1 wrote: »
    That’s one thing that’s really irritating me at the minute too. There’s so many programmes on RTE over the past few week/months about the horrendous way so many unfortunate women and children were treated in Ireland over the years. It is 100% right for RTE to be telling these stories so that hopefully nothing like that can ever be allowed to happened again.

But then they just completely ignore the accusations being made by numerous women as regards what happened them at the hands of that RTE presenter when they were all still juveniles and there’s not a peep about it anywhere.

I’m not advocating for trial by media but the very least they should do is come out with a statement to say he has been suspended pending an investigation or something to that effect. Instead they just erased his name from any show he was involved in, he’s gone into hiding and they’re completely ignoring it all in the hope that it’ll blow over.

Compare that then to the hours of coverage given to a man who sat on a dead horse for half a minute and it’s hard to understand what their agenda is.

It’s not just RTE, I find certain Newstalk reported jumping to defend the government at any chance they can get. That’s what happens when the ministers start hiring reporters as advisors- there is no accountability at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Tileman

. Telling us not to meet up in parks etc but meeting his mates in the Phoenix park.

Ah to be fair now that was when we were not in level 5 . It was permitted to meet up with people in an open space. He did it the same as everybody else. Nothing wrong with that.

“Telling us classrooms are safe yet renting a massive convention centre with nobody in it to protect themselves.”

They are not renting it. It is provided free of charge. If they were all in the dail the same people giving out about not social distancing and not leading by example.

“What they are spending daily for that place could have many a place protected or it would pay for a few more checkpoints. The back road to the beaches of west Clare runs by our farm and it hasn’t been as busy since the main road was closed for 6 months. I was running on it on Sunday probably 25 minutes on that stretch and had to pull in around 15 times for cars and groups of cars.”

It is frustrating. Have similar myself and our quite road is destroyed but if you were living in a semi d you would go insane. People have to get out too.

I am not aligned to any party but hate the constant bickering of public servants. It’s there for anybody to stand as a politician. Most do not get any respect but rather are constantly harassed and thrilled online. Why anybody does it I don’t know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I agree with you, but can understand it to a certain extent, with Gordon Elliot it isn't a criminal issue and if the horse owners stand by him he will be back in the winners enclosure soon.
    With the RTE presenter he will stand a criminal trial and hopefully do some time in jail so until he is charged it cant be reported encase it effects the trial, we all seen the circus that was the Paddy Jackson trial. Must admit I could never warm to that RTE presenter and I found him to be a pr*1k similar to a former Today FM DJ who had similar allegation against him.

Tileman wrote: »
    . Telling us not to meet up in parks etc but meeting his mates in the Phoenix park.

Ah to be fair now that was when we were not in level 5 . It was permitted to meet up with people in an open space. He did it the same as everybody else. Nothing wrong with that.

“Telling us classrooms are safe yet renting a massive convention centre with nobody in it to protect themselves.”

They are not renting it. It is provided free of charge. If they were all in the dail the same people giving out about not social distancing and not leading by example.

“What they are spending daily for that place could have many a place protected or it would pay for a few more checkpoints. The back road to the beaches of west Clare runs by our farm and it hasn’t been as busy since the main road was closed for 6 months. I was running on it on Sunday probably 25 minutes on that stretch and had to pull in around 15 times for cars and groups of cars.”

It is frustrating. Have similar myself and our quite road is destroyed but if you were living in a semi d you would go insane. People have to get out too.

I am not aligned to any party but hate the constant bickering of public servants. It’s there for anybody to stand as a politician. Most do not get any respect but rather are constantly harassed and thrilled online. Why anybody does it I don’t know.

I can’t get to the beach as it’s outside my 5km but the registration numbers were L,D and KE for a lot of them. Not even Clare regs.

They are not doing it for nothing. I wouldn’t call it bickering when someone is called out for something. I couldn’t get a defibrillator installed in a public building recently because it was not deemed essential work, yet the decision maker appeared at a photo shoot with multiple others form different locations no bother. Yes they had masks etc but it two rules and standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I can’t get to the beach as it’s outside my 5km but the registration numbers were L,D and KE for a lot of them. Not even Clare regs.

They are not doing it for nothing. I wouldn’t call it bickering when someone is called out for something. I couldn’t get a defibrillator installed in a public building recently because it was not deemed essential work, yet the decision maker appeared at a photo shoot with multiple others form different locations no bother. Yes they had masks etc but it two rules and standards.

A registration isnt necessarily a pointer to where they are from if over a year old. Theres 4 cars in the yard here and only one of them is a KE reg.

A registration isnt necessarily a pointer to where they are from if over a year old. Theres 4 cars in the yard here and only one of them is a KE reg.

Oh yeah I know that. But not one local person even and it The middle of nowhere.

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    I agree with you, but can understand it to a certain extent, with Gordon Elliot it isn't a criminal issue and if the horse owners stand by him he will be back in the winners enclosure soon.
    With the RTE presenter he will stand a criminal trial and hopefully do some time in jail so until he is charged it cant be reported encase it effects the trial, we all seen the circus that was the Paddy Jackson trial. Must admit I could never warm to that RTE presenter and I found him to be a pr*1k similar to a former Today FM DJ who had similar allegation against him.
    You’re right in saying that due to what should be an upcoming criminal investigation that they can’t report on it, but to completely ignore it is wrong too. As I said earlier I think they should just give a short statement to say that he is suspended pending an investigation or something to that effect and at least they are acknowledging then that there is an issue and it’s not just being ignored.

I’d have the same opinion as you about him as well. There was just something about him that you couldn’t warm too. A sort of an arrogance about him. There has to be something off about any man heading for near 40 years of age and still trying to act and dress like a teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

But you see Tileman you are been responsible and doing the right thing, other aren't, I don't blame government for that. It like lads not obeying the speed limit, it frustrating to see but it isn't up to us to police the roads.
    We have a nose bag of a neighbour, she was calling around to the neighboring house to visit them and wish them Happy Christmas, we met her in the yard as we were getting into the car to head to the lake to feed the ducks, but she spent the 5 minutes on about how others were do this and that wrong yet no mention of her visiting people. Then in mid January I heard her and her family all had Covid but they we telling everyone they only went to the shop of the groceries.
    It like the government are telling people not to fly away on holidays yet people were organising fake dental appointments so they could get their week in the sun. Some people only ever think of themselves unfortunately and the rest of us have to suffer the consequences.

I wouldn’t wish being a politician on my worst enemy to be honest! You’re damned if you do and damned of you don’t. It has to be one of the most thankless jobs there is but they all know what they’re signing up for day 1 so I suppose they have to be expecting some of the grief.

There was definitely mistakes made but to be fair to them it’s a completely new scenario for any government to be in so it just had to be figured out as they went along.

On the 5km thing, I get what you’re saying about going insane if you were stuck in a semi-d. Thankfully as the majority of us on here own land we don’t have that issue. But equally the people in the semi-d’s don’t have that issue either. They’re not locked into the houses like the lockdowns in Australia and New Zealand, they are allowed out as often as they like in the day, just stay within 5km of your house. It’s not that hard. I’d safely say the majority of the cars heading to the beaches and up the mountains and all during these restrictions will have never travelled to them places at this time of the year in any year before this.

I honestly thought he must have had dirt on someone in RTE or someone in RTE did something to him as a kid because he was a shocking broadcaster IMHO and couldnt understand how he was kept on.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

When I lived in Dublin, I shared a house with a guy who told me how he was in a Hotel lobby one night and a well known RTE presenter had to me manhandled out the door by the bouncers. He was high on cocaine and harassing women.
    I wonder is it the same guy ??

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

When I lived in Dublin, I shared a house with a guy who told me how he was in a Hotel lobby one night and a well known RTE presenter had to me manhandled out the door by the bouncers. He was high on cocaine and harassing women.
    I wonder is it the same guy ??

Couldnt be sure tbe fella im on about butter wouldnt melt in his mouth and hes a real social justice warrior.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

It’s not just RTE, I find certain Newstalk reported jumping to defend the government at any chance they can get. That’s what happens when the ministers start hiring reporters as advisors- there is no accountability at all.

Thats the problem, the media (most of it) is basically an unofficial off shoot of the government. Now its not just an Irish problem, we saw it in the UK with brexit and corbyn, a large section of the media was to the hilt in advancing the tory line (largly the tabloids and sky) and rupert murdoch has been at that for years, using his media ownership to frame political debates to his interests.

In Ireland RTE as a state broadcaster obviously has an affinity to our two old parties (with some ex workers party heads who are still around) the decades of section 31 obviously created a culture where dissenting opinions aren't overly welcome (at least in their current affairs coverage)

And now you've that ****e McGurk who set up gript trying to be an irish alex jones or something.

theres a crowd called tortise shack media doing political and current affair podcasts with a much more balanced look at things (they're left of centre but at least don't pretend to not be biased) or even if you wouldn't be in full agreement with them (i would be to the left when it comes to voting but still wouldn't agree with everything they say) it is good to hear a point of view which has been largly excluded by rte and print media (not to mention newstalk who are woeful)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Acquiescence

On the 5km thing, I get what you’re saying about going insane if you were stuck in a semi-d. Thankfully as the majority of us on here own land we don’t have that issue. But equally the people in the semi-d’s don’t have that issue either.

I don't know about the rest of you but even the few acres are starting to feel awful small at this point.

I don't know about the rest of you but even the few acres are starting to feel awful small at this point.

Doesn’t bother us in the slightest. I’ve to drive 26miles to work, I stop nowhere, do my bit of work and rush home. But in saying that, I’ve the 3 to keep me entertained. Dunno how il log back to going out the door at 8 and back at 5 again when it’s back to normal. And I’m very lucky with hours and days etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

It like the government are telling people not to fly away on holidays yet people were organising fake dental appointments so they could get their week in the sun. Some people only ever think of themselves unfortunately and the rest of us have to suffer the consequences.

I'm a bit peeved by the arrogance that allows them to wilfully undermine a national effort.

I'd like to see them prosecuted for treason!

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Herd TB clear. Looks like a load will be heading for Kilmallock on the 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Those that are going on holidays I assume most of the resorts are more or less closed and the tourist attractions? I'd love a holiday, stepping off the plane and the warm air hitting you. Wont go until it's safe to go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

whelan2 wrote: »
    Those that are going on holidays I assume most of the resorts are more or less closed and the tourist attractions? I'd love a holiday, stepping off the plane and the warm air hitting you. Wont go until it's safe to go though.

Jesus, a holiday would be nice, but like that, won’t go til it’s safe - so wouldn’t think we’ll be going on holidays this year...
    But, we’ll manage away too... We managed fine without holidays when I was small :)

People breaking the restrictions are annoying, whether it’s going on holidays or travelling all over the place for the craic...
    All you can do is do the best you can yourself, don’t mind what others are at...

Jesus, a holiday would be nice, but like that, won’t go til it’s safe - so wouldn’t think we’ll be going on holidays this year...
    But, we’ll manage away too... We managed fine without holidays when I was small :)

People breaking the restrictions are annoying, whether it’s going on holidays or travelling all over the place for the craic...
    All you can do is do the best you can yourself, don’t mind what others are at...

The FIL is 70 and MIL is 65 in Oz- I’d say when travel happens, they will be up. Wouldn’t mind getting down there but I’d say they will be strict letting people in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Used to be big into horses in my teens, wanted to be a jockey until I had a growth spurt. Was out hunting once and there was a girl a few years older than me on a horse who was absolutely exhausted after a hard day. I said to her "jasus he looks tired" and she replied "if you were between my legs for 4 hours you'd be tired too" ....

Love that story but I think your lady friend must have met or known of  Molly Cusack Smith (nee O'Rouke). She was the original lady of that story. She became the Galway Blazers first woman hunt master in the 1940's. According to the story, when a groom remarked on the sweaty condition of her horse, Molly Cusack Smith, dismounting, retorted: "You'd be sweaty, too, if you'd spent the past three hours between my legs.".

The story hasn't lost any of its legs ;)

Advertisement