Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

I’d hate to be a college student now or a single person on the lookout for a partner while watching the clock.

Friday night on a weekend that would have been a messy one despite the time of year as it happens to be a double birthday between myeelf and a best mate. Im sat at home having a few bottles on my own, The Diamantina Drover is playing in the background. Milking in the morning, ive worked 7 days every week since January as i went back doing relief work at the weekends due to the boredom of lockdown, i took to tbe bed one weekend in January and said once was enough. Dublin fella im serving my time with thinks ive a screw loose working 7 days a week but they are wired different up there. Realised this week i actually know **** all people over here compared to down under as well, im back nearly a year and people are surprised to see me its as if i never came back.

How the f#ck is that healthy for anyone let alone a young man in his prime? I have more in common with the auld fellas in work these days, they talk about the craic in Cricklewood I talk about Sydney and we all go home at the weekend looking forward to being back to work Monday morning.

Rant over, sooner its over the better.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Odelay

gozunda wrote: »
    Love that story but I think your lady friend must have met or known of  Molly Cusack Smith (nee O'Rouke). She was the original lady of that story. She became the Galway Blazers first woman hunt master in the 1940's. According to the story, when a groom remarked on the sweaty condition of her horse, Molly Cusack Smith, dismounting, retorted: "You'd be sweaty, too, if you'd spent the past three hours between my legs.".

The story hasn't lost any of its legs ;)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/obituary-molly-cusack-smith-1146078.html

Fascinating woman. What a rabbit hole I went down googling her name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Odelay

Friday night on a weekend that would have been a messy one despite the time of year as it happens to be a double birthday between myeelf and a best mate. Im sat at home having a few bottles on my own, The Diamantina Drover is playing in the background. Milking in the morning, ive worked 7 days every week since January as i went back doing relief work at the weekends due to the boredom of lockdown, i took to tbe bed one weekend in January and said once was enough. Dublin fella im serving my time with thinks ive a screw loose working 7 days a week but they are wired different up there. Realised this week i actually know **** all people over here compared to down under as well, im back nearly a year and people are surprised to see me its as if i never came back.

How the f#ck is that healthy for anyone let alone a young man in his prime? I have more in common with the auld fellas in work these days, they talk about the craic in Cricklewood I talk about Sydney and we all go home at the weekend looking forward to being back to work Monday morning.

Get out there on Macra, tinder, meetup (interesting people on that) or anything you can when lock down is over. It wont be too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

My best mate is the same, we have been friends since we were 4. Shared a 21st. Would work 24-7 if he could get away with it. Worked nights at his full time job and days on a side job.

Now aged 36, anytime I meet him now, he lists the people our age who have children or getting married etc. It has become a fixation with him.

During the lockdown, you might as well be working away as long as you don’t wear yourself out.

As for Oz, Don’t have regrets anyway what ever you do. No point in saying in 10years, you had unfinished business there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Jesus H Christ that's an awfully negative way to go through life.

• Advertisement

Odelay wrote: »
    Get out there on Macra, tinder, meetup (interesting people on that) or anything you can when lock down is over. It wont be too long.

Was a great man for Macra before leaving but theres nothing happening ATM. Tinder is useless had better luck on other apps last year ;) . Think ive a date sorted for when restrictions lift but who knows? Only real conversation id have outside of work is witb a Neighbour on the commute morning or evening refilling the cup at a service station just by chance could be weeld, could be months between. Last time i saw my best mate was at a funeral around Christmas and hes only 5km down tbe road.
    Im not getting down about it, just getting on with it. I jusr dont think the powers thaf be realise what toll its taking on a certain demographic that already was under strsin.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭White Clover

Was a great man for Macra before leaving but theres nothing happening ATM. Tinder is useless had better luck on other apps last year ;) . Think ive a date sorted for when restrictions lift but who knows? Only real conversation id have outside of work is witb a Neighbour on the commute morning or evening refilling the cup at a service station just by chance could be weeld, could be months between. Last time i saw my best mate was at a funeral around Christmas and hes only 5km down tbe road.
    Im not getting down about it, just getting on with it. I jusr dont think the powers thaf be realise what toll its taking on a certain demographic that already was under strsin.

Things are bad now but I think you're not helping yourself. Drive over to your mates house, pull up outside the house, he'll sit on the wall and you can stay in the car and ye can have a grand chat and still be safe.
    I don't mean to be blunt but you make of things what you can. As the saying goes "there's more than one way to skin a cat"

Things are bad now but I think you're not helping yourself. Drive over to your mates house, pull up outside the house, he'll sit on the wall and you can stay in the car and ye can have a grand chat and still be safe.
    I don't mean to be blunt but you make of things what you can. As the saying goes "there's more than one way to skin a cat"

Id agree 100% with you but i just cant understand how brainwashed tbis fella is gone. Its her indoors that has him ruined too, every other year he was a self proclaimec hard man now he tbinks hell catch tbe covid through tbe phonelines.

Better living everyone

GoneHome wrote: »
    Jesus H Christ that's an awfully negative way to go through life.

Im not trying to be negative in anyway, thats just the way things are.
    I honestly did take to the bed one weekend in January and rang FRS the following Monday just to gjve me something to fo the weekends , its not rewarding financially but it gives me a reason to get outta bed at the weekend.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

It won’t be like this for ever Carrolls.

You are talking about Oz a bit, but I don’t know if they have the same issues over there with restrictions and the like... I wonder is it a case of far away grass is greener?

It may seem like you might as well be working as you have nothing else to do - but careful you’re not burning yourself out too...

I know it seems a bit grim lately, but it’ll pass. People have been through worse...

• Advertisement

Id agree 100% with you but i just cant understand how brainwashed tbis fella is gone. Its her indoors that has him ruined too, every other year he was a self proclaimec hard man now he tbinks hell catch tbe covid through tbe phonelines.

A lot are gone that way. But are there anyone else around? My boss is a pure germophobe and I had to meet her during the summer, outside, I was at one end of the table with my own pot of tea and she at the other. Strange, but kept her at ease and we still had a chat.

It’s not easy, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Well, everyone is dealing with this in their own way... If someone wants to be extra cautious I think that’s up to them too, and they should be left do that too...

Do you have any other mate locally you could chat to, or call to as clover suggests above?

My best mate is the same, we have been friends since we were 4. Shared a 21st. Would work 24-7 if he could get away with it. Worked nights at his full time job and days on a side job.

Now aged 36, anytime I meet him now, he lists the people our age who have children or getting married etc. It has become a fixation with him.

During the lockdown, you might as well be working away as long as you don’t wear yourself out.

As for Oz, Don’t have regrets anyway what ever you do. No point in saying in 10years, you had unfinished business there.

As for Oz, i came home so i could head back. I did life coaching in 2019/2020 and its all in the 5 year plan. Yea im leaning towards the same idea as youre friend every so often but rhen i realise that its not as simple to head to Oz with a woman in tow especially in my line of work.

Better living everyone

Im not trying to be negative in anyway, thats just the way things are.
    I honestly did take to the bed one weekend in January and rang FRS the following Monday just to gjve me something to fo the weekends , its not rewarding financially but it gives me a reason to get outta bed at the weekend.

But do you not see that's not natural, people use the weekend to relax and unwind from the week's work, I know these are very unique times but christ no one I know takes on extra work at the weekend just for something to do. There's some much to do out there to pass the time, to relax and unwind after the week's work - go out for a long walk/run/cycle, watch a good series on Netflix, read a book, do a bit of writing, bake a loaf of bread, call friends on zoom, even pass times like fishing, bird-watching, things like that can still be done within the 5km limit, christ do anything but thinking that taking on extra work just to pass away the weekend is an absolutely sad state of mind to be in to be honest with you.

But do you not see that's not natural, people use the weekend to relax and unwind from the week's work, I know these are very unique times but christ no one I know takes on extra work at the weekend just for something to do. There's some much to do out there to pass the time, to relax and unwind after the week's work - go out for a long walk/run/cycle, watch a good series on Netflix, read a book, do a bit of writing, bake a loaf of bread, call friends on zoom, even pass times like fishing, bird-watching, things like that can still be done within the 5km limit, christ do anything but thinking that taking on extra work just to pass away the weekend is an absolutely sad state of mind to be in to be honest with you.

I 100% agree with what yer saying, but feck it, go easy... ;)

Let’s not forget you’re in a forum where once the day-job is done, a lot of lads go farming to get their kicks - It’s not that much different than what Carroll is at :)

Well, everyone is dealing with this in their own way... If someone wants to be extra cautious I think that’s up to them too, and they should be left do that too...

Do you have any other mate locally you could chat to, or call to as clover suggests above?

I respect his decisions 100% its his business. No i never mixed much with the locals here theres a big focus on getting a teaching/office job and hurling around these parts theres no place for mullochers like myself here. Went to join the local RFC last year and got a concussion the first night of it, then the restrictions stopped it. Only other fella i could call to is a depressed has been relative who returned from oz the same timeas myself wholl never get back whereas i havs some hope of returning amd that would wear you too.

Better living everyone

100% i never wanted to do part time farming ever, the idea of me farming at home is long gone(still have a plan just in case though) i have no interest in f#cking around with sucklers and doing everything wrong on ths farm at home so its just as easy work for someone else the weekends.

Ill be honest there is SFA in my 5km zone.

Better living everyone

I 100% agree with what yer saying, but feck it, go easy... ;)

Let’s not forget you’re in a forum where once the day-job is done, a lot of lads go farming to get their kicks - It’s not that much different than what Carroll is at :)

But that's the difference, in that sense farming is their hobby, I've a few buddies that do that, they've an office job during the week(working from home at the moment)but then at the weekend the bit of farming is there hobby as such, what this guy is talking about is very different, he's using work as a way to just pass the hours, life is passing him by at that going spending all his time working.

100% i never wanted to do part time farming ever, the idea of me farming at home is long gone(still have a plan just in case though) i have no interest in f#cking around with sucklers and doing everything wrong on ths farm at home so its just as easy work for someone else the weekends.

Ill be honest there is SFA in my 5km zone.

Do you talk to many of your mates on the phone?
    I find once you get talking to lads you could be on the phone for nearly an hour just talking rubbish. But you’d feel good after it...

I wouldn’t know much about these things, but I think isolating yourself, and working all hours is not the way to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭DBK1

I don’t think you’re being fair there. Everyone had their own way of dealing with things and believe it or not some lads enjoy working. I’d be guilty of it myself. If I didn’t have some few jobs lined up for the weekend I’d be disappointed.

The opposite opinion to yours could easily be argued that if you’re working your 39 or 40 hours a week and you need the entirety of the remaining 128 hours to wind down or relax from your work then you must be in a terrible job and you should really be looking for something elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭einn32

I know loads of people who work on farms at weekends and have the week day job. They love it or need the cash. Keeps a few out of the bookies and pubs too. Makes sense to me to just work if you have no family and free weekends. As long as there is an end goal then you are working towards something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I love the couple of hours in the evenings farming plus Saturday to get away from the day job. If I hadn't something to keep me busy I would go crackers. Plus I find it a good way of getting the kids out in the fresh air.

DBK1 wrote: »
    The opposite opinion to yours could easily be argued that if you’re working your 39 or 40 hours a week and you need the entirety of the remaining 128 hours to wind down or relax from your work then you must be in a terrible job and you should really be looking for something elsewhere.
    Christ no, I work 20 hours a week, all my work is from home now so by no means is work my life, in actual fact work is very much just a diversion from real life now, I only do it for the bobs going into the bank account on a Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Lads, I know tis late but we’ve been on a high here all day. Took the folks and the neighbour to get their first jab this morning and I’ve no problem in admitting that I was a blubbering mess! Days like this makes me think that there’s light at the end of the tunnel. Hope all are keeping well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,531 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Mossie1975 wrote: »
    Lads, I know tis late but we’ve been on a high here all day. Took the folks and the neighbour to get their first jab this morning and I’ve no problem in admitting that I was a blubbering mess! Days like this makes me think that there’s light at the end of the tunnel. Hope all are keeping well
    Ah jayz Mossie what are you like? :p;)

Father here got his yesterday evening.

Doctors where he had his the carpark was full that many walked I'd say half a kilometre from the town centre to the surgery.

Do you talk to many of your mates on the phone?
    I find once you get talking to lads you could be on the phone for nearly an hour just talking rubbish. But you’d feel good after it...

I wouldn’t know much about these things, but I think isolating yourself, and working all hours is not the way to go...

Yea theres a few of us whod get like thar on the phone talking for well over an hour when we do ring but these days its just snapchats as everyones busy these days with the spring workload.

Better living everyone

Yea theres a few of us whod get like thar on the phone talking for well over an hour when we do ring but these days its just snapchats as everyones busy these days with the spring workload.

Current situation is short term so and there is an end in sight. When calving/lambing etc lightens up a little, there will be time to check in.

I’m a disaster for ringing or meeting people- I’m happy with texting but I know I should be ringing people.

I’m so glad to be back at school. I’m definitely not built for online.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

To be brutally honest Carrollsno1, you must be the only one in Ireland sticking so rigidly to the 5km limit that you haven't even a mate to chat to or call around for a chat...
    Roads around here are as busy as ever, food shops full of families doing the weekly shop..
    Only difference is that you can't get a drink in a licenced premises, and you can't sit down for a meal in a cafe/hotel/restaurant.
    It's a strange kind of semi-lockdown when I can drive 15 miles to the nearest Dunnes and buy any food I want, but only certain clothes, and buy all the pairs of slippers I'd ever need, but shoes are off-limits...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭DBK1

Christ no, I work 20 hours a week, all my work is from home now so by no means is work my life, in actual fact work is very much just a diversion from real life now, I only do it for the bobs going into the bank account on a Friday morning.
    Each to their own and if that’s what works for you then fair play. If I only had 20 hours work to do in a week I’d go insane as I’d be wondering what the hell I was going to do from Tuesday evening on as I’d have the 20 hours finished by then.

I’d also be seriously questioning my job if I needed 148 hours away from it every week to relax and wind down from it, id be thinking you must really hate what you do.

BTW don’t take what I’m saying personally. I’m just trying to show how the opposite argument can be made to what you originally said to Carrollsno1. What you consider the optimum work life balance could be another persons idea of a very unfulfilling life due to having 128 hours every week with nothing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    To be brutally honest Carrollsno1, you must be the only one in Ireland sticking so rigidly to the 5km limit that you haven't even a mate to chat to or call around for a chat...
    Roads around here are as busy as ever, food shops full of families doing the weekly shop..
    Only difference is that you can't get a drink in a licenced premises, and you can't sit down for a meal in a cafe/hotel/restaurant.
    It's a strange kind of semi-lockdown when I can drive 15 miles to the nearest Dunnes and buy any food I want, but only certain clothes, and buy all the pairs of slippers I'd ever need, but shoes are off-limits...

I was thinking the same, a few lads I know using the dating apps are still travelling.
    I was in Ballyconeelly yesterday and there was a good few big newish D regs BMWs /Range Rovers about. It was hardly the local hill farmers or fishermen driving them......

Advertisement