Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

emaherx wrote: »
    Plenty of other groups have taken the piss, with regards to funerals. Over 30,000 travellers not at that funeral also get the the blame?

I personally know hard working and well educated travellers, but they are judged by the same standards. I sometimes wonder why they have worked so hard to be part of a society which has them pre-judged.

Yes the group yesterday are in the minority, I too know some really nice travellers. It's just so annoying at this stage in the covid thing, when we are so close to hopefully moving on that you see the photos of the church yesterday. The priest refused to start mass until some of them left the church and they wouldnt leave . Has there been a funeral from any other ethnicity that had so many at it recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

whelan2 wrote: »
    . They are the reason we will be in lockdown for much longer than necessary with this carry on

I saw it reported somewhere that as a group they have had almost no Covid19 deaths.

. Has there been a funeral from any other ethnicity that had so many at it recently?

Er, yes.
    For Garda Colm Horkan.......

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Er, yes.
    For Garda Colm Horkan.......

I am sure they weren't crammed into the church. Many people have lost loved ones in this lockdown and couldn't have a proper funeral to say farewell. No proper wake or congregation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭DBK1

Hold on now. Over 300 of them going into a church for a funeral, where under government guidelines say 10 people. I got called out as a racist on another forum for calling them travellers. They are the reason we will be in lockdown for much longer than necessary with this carry on
    Fully agree with this. We have buried 2 immediate family members during lockdowns and I come from a big family. We nominated the 10 that could go into the church and the rest of us all waited outside in our own family groups and properly distanced from all the other family groups there and we would have much preferred to have been in the church.

Funerals are a big thing in rural Ireland and it was very hard to be left outside for close family members funerals. But respect and common manners comes into play and we wouldn’t dream of putting the priest in an awkward position either.

The fact that the priest asked them to reduce the crowds in the church and they refused shows the disrespect they have for all around them. Was there no one out of the 300 there that could stand up and say sorry lads this is wrong what we’re at, maybe a lot of us should wait outside? No you can be sure there wasn’t because respect doesn’t come into it with them.

Sorry Emaherx but the complaints are completely warranted in this scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,538 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Didn't end well for the family though.

That's the thing. People are stupid and behave stupidly. If a government minister can't call it out as such because those people are a different minority then we're all f....d.

Boards hamsters must have covid.

Clear test. Days like this you'd look forward to a few pints and your tea in the local

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Plenty of other groups have taken the piss, with regards to funerals. Over 30,000 travellers not at that funeral also get the the blame?

I personally know hard working and well educated travellers, but they are judged by the same standards. I sometimes wonder why they have worked so hard to be part of a society which has them pre-judged.

exactly, if we applied the same standard to farmers (judge all of us by the actions of the worst of us) people would assume all farmers are dumping dead calves and lambs, starting illegal fires, exploiting low paid workers, burying rubbish on farms, etc.

the crowd at that given funeral are a selfish shower that's obvious, it has no impact of my opinion of travellers as a group because juding any group as a monolith is idiotic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭straight

Fair play to the travellers trying their best to be good but it is their own group that are leaving them down time and time again. The rest of us can't be blamed for not trusting travellers. I wonder is there any chance of farmers being defined as a seperate ethnic group because I don't know anyone else in society working 7 days a week for little or no return.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mod note Ok folks, change the record. I'm not standing up for them but the discussion stops now. We all know these people are a law unto themselves, and it isn't fair on the rest of us but as has been said tarring them all with the one brush isn't fair either.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭emaherx

I had no issue with people discussing the 300 people at the funeral or about protecting our yards from the usual cold callers.

All I asked was people think before they post as some of the posts were getting a bit sneery and completely generalizing the entire community.

I know a local school teacher quite well who is a traveller, she teaches in the local youth reach and actively encourages young people from all communities who fell through the cracks of the mainstream school system to complete their leaving and prepare for third level. I'd never be so condescending as think fair play for doing her best to be good, pity the rest of them let her down!

From the responses here and all of the thanks backing them up I can see what the general sentiment is on the subject here and I won't comment any further on the subject. I think that I will also step down as a Mod also as I feel too strongly on the subject.

I had no issue with people discussing the 300 people at the funeral or about protecting our yards from the usual cold callers.

All I asked was people think before they post as some of the posts were getting a bit sneery and completely generalizing the entire community.

I know a local school teacher quite well who is a traveller, she teaches in the local youth reach and actively encourages young people from all communities who fell through the cracks of the mainstream school system to complete their leaving and prepare for third level. I'd never be so condescending as think fair play for doing her best to be good, pity the rest of them let her down!

From the responses here and all of the thanks backing them up I can see what the general sentiment is on the subject here and I won't comment any further on the subject. I think that I will also step down as a Mod also as I feel too strongly on the subject.

Look it's a public forum and people are entitled to their opinion, we dont have to agree with it. I don't think it warrants stepping down as a mod though

Stay on as a Mod.

What people don't like is lawbreakers from any ethnicity.
    300 people barging into a church ignoring the priest and ignoring the gardai was always going to raise comment.
    There was a large traveller funeral in Wexford here lately too. Commented on in this part of the country. Gardai were involved too.
    There's always been that lawlessness in the community. And it gets noticed.

I make no apology that my first thought when that ford focus came in blaring the horn yesterday was they were scoping out the place. Then I was thankful that there was someone in the yard when a second vehicle came in a few hours later with a group of men to sell floodlights.
    All that sentiment makes me human and a pragmatic human.
    I make no apology for the warning in the first place on here that such people were breaking covid rules and calling to farms.
    Which in my mind should be an arrestable offence in itself when it's not an essential business but putting the health of all they meet on those farms at risk.

A tool van has just driven into my yard....

I sent them up to you Whelan. :p

Wife working from home today, just text me to say a purple Foed Mondeo drove up to the house, drove around it and back down the lane and up to the farmyard. Left a couple of minutes later.
    Two or three on board, at least she has the number of it. ( if genuine).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Don't step down ema.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Wife working from home today, just text me to say a purple Foed Mondeo drove up to the house, drove around it and back down the lane and up to the farmyard. Left a couple of minutes later.
    Two or three on board, at least she has the number of it. ( if genuine).

Ifor williams jeep trailer stolen here locally a couple of nights ago. It was loaded with bark mulch. Was a certain tool salesman in the area a couple of days previously.

Maybe it's coinsidiance but there were wrought iron entrance gates stolen another time he was around.

I don't understand how its condescending to congratulate someone for bettering themselves. That's the way I was brought up but sure look, whatever. I don't have strong feelings on most things. Find life easier that way. Time for a cup of tea before the cows I think.

• Advertisement

A van drove in by a mans house here lately, 3 o clock in the afternoon, cut a lock, emptied the shed of all his tools.

A van drove in by a mans house here lately, 3 o clock in the afternoon, cut a lock, emptied the shed of all his tools.

We have a good dog and a pup that jumps up on everyone. He didn't stay long. I didn't go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Any good deals

Reggie. wrote: »
    Any good deals

No receipts, he left the book at home.

No receipts, he left the book at home.

No cash either. That's for the next day.

No cash either. That's for the next day.

I'd say he's gone back down your way. M.C

I'd say he's gone back down your way. M.C

The gate is definitely shut now.

The locals here usually don't sell on their home patch.

Last call of the day I suppose, sold to all the neighbours I bet. 2 rough looking boyos came into our yard a few years ago and intimidated and frightened my elderly parents. Basically walked them into a corner in the yard. They weren't long changing their tune when I came around the corner. Parents were afraid for a long time afterwards. I can put up with a hell of alot but can't stand bullies.

The butcher boy is on rte2 at half 9

• Advertisement
Advertisement