Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,540 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

If most people saw that , they'd be like 'hey a Walrus' and think nothing of it.

I know. Just like the pelican in Wexford again this year. We're becoming blase to these things now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,540 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Don't know if ye're following developments in Iceland lately but there's been (really has been) thousands of earthquakes recorded in the southwest part of the island these past thirty days or so.

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/earthquakes/iceland.html

The science geeks say it could be the prelude to another major eruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Amazing find really - though they did breed in Scotland during Roman times before hunting wiped them out

Id like to know how long he was asleep. Had he a few pints first

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Reggie. wrote: »
    Id like to know how long he was asleep. Had he a few pints first

I reckon he's turned up for the interviews for Fungi's old job.

Went to Valentia instead of Dingle - easy mistake tbf ....

If he can get a car he'll be sorted. Restrictions might be a problem though.

51ui9i.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Amazing find really - though they did breed in Scotland during Roman times before hunting wiped them out

Walrus were one of the first animals to be hunted more in the pursuit of wealth as opposed to a means of survival. Walrus tusks and oil were an ancient form of currency for coastal dwellers in northern Europe. It's been hypothesised that the first white explorer's to island hop to Iceland, Greenland and onto the coast of North America and the Canadian artic were following the retreating walrus herds over 1,000 year's ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Walrus were one of the first animals to be hunted more in the pursuit of wealth as opposed to a means of survival. Walrus tusks and oil were an ancient form of currency

Still used in rural Cavan I'm told :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Walrus were one of the first animals to be hunted more in the pursuit of wealth as opposed to a means of survival. Walrus tusks and oil were an ancient form of currency for coastal dwellers in northern Europe. It's been hypothesised that the first white explorer's to island hop to Iceland, Greenland and onto the coast of North America and the Canadian artic were following the retreating walrus herds over 1,000 year's ago.

Yes - Walrus ivory was very much in demand at times over the millenia. There was a unique population living in Iceland that got wiped out by Viking settlers in the 1200's for those very reasons.

Don't know if ye're following developments in Iceland lately but there's been (really has been) thousands of earthquakes recorded in the southwest part of the island these past thirty days or so.

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/earthquakes/iceland.html

The science geeks say it could be the prelude to another major eruption.

That'll ground a lot of flights.

Oh wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

That'll ground a lot of flights.

Oh wait....

No but the biblical 'end of times' groups will be having a field day especially since plagues and earthquakes feature quite a bit. Add to that some locust swarms of biblical proportion and we've got a winner ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

gozunda wrote: »
    No but the biblical 'end of times' groups will be having a field day especially since plagues and earthquakes feature quite a bit. Add to that some locust swarms of biblical proportion and we've got a winner ;)

Speaking of winners, never have I heard so little about Cheltenham before.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    [/B]

Speaking of winners, never have I heard so little about Cheltenham before.

Silver lining to every global pandemic cloud.

gozunda wrote: »

Q wit mentioning 4 horsemen and Tesco in the same sentence ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Great stretch in the evenings now. Really see it on a fine day like today.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Still used in rural Cavan I'm told :D

Rural cavan. Like there's any other type

Metropolitan Cavan..or south inner city Cavan just really doesn't seem believable

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Rural cavan. Like there's any other type

Metropolitan Cavan..or south inner city Cavan just really doesn't seem believable

Metropolitan cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭straight

No parade tomorrow either. More good news from the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Silver lining to every global pandemic cloud.

Rachel Blackmore riding Honeysuckle became the first female rider to win the Champion Hurdle. Hope that fills a void in your life.
    Actually don't follow the nags at all myself. Esp dislike betting, very destructive addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Lovely moon out atm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Great stretch in the evenings now. Really see it on a fine day like today.

Spring proper for me kicks off after Paddy's day cos its usually when I hear/see the first of our migrant summer feathered visitors like the Chiffchaff and Sand Martin.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I was driving through Carrigallen, Co. Leitrim today and came across these little one's celebrating St. Patrick :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Tis great base,lets hope rte don't see it & start crazy hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Base price wrote: »
    I was driving through Carrigallen, Co. Leitrim today and came across these little one's celebrating St. Patrick :)

I see Fiz from Coronation showed up, on the right of the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Base price wrote: »

The evening before I got married, we drove through Carrigallen...
    There was some festival on, and they stopped the traffic and a heap of Irish dancers just appeared on the street and started dancing away mad :):):)
    I think we just abandoned the car where it was on the road and got out to see the craic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

There was some festival on, and they stopped the traffic and a heap of Irish dancers just appeared on the street and started dancing away mad :):):)
    I think we just abandoned the car where it was on the road and got out to see the craic :)

That's nothing special, people abandon their cars in Carrigallen every day of the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Reggie. wrote: »
    Metropolitan cavan

... known as 'tan Cavan.

That's a great memory to cherish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I'm fairly sick of those Cheltenham ads from the betting companies, they should be banned. At least now that it's started it'll be over soon.
    It's all a racket.

I'm fairly sick of those Cheltenham ads from the betting companies, they should be banned. At least now that it's started it'll be over soon.
    It's all a racket.
    I use a ad blocker on the laptop and it cuts out the majority of them.

Happy st Patrick's day

• Advertisement

I see Fiz from Coronation showed up, on the right of the picture.

Can't believe Tyrone is going to leave her:cool:

Advertisement