Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Base price wrote: »
    No they are suckler cows that OH bought from a guy who was quitting sucklers.

You’ll have the bug now
    Next purchase will be a PB shorthorn bull

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I took a loin of venison out of the freezer on Monday with the intention of cooking it today with all the trimmings but it didn't happen.
    OH and I spent from 12.30 last night till sometime after 7 this morning getting 5 new born calves to up and sucking. Thankfully the cows calved by themselves and they were quiet to deal with. How the hell do dairy farmers deal with multiple births night after night.

Did ye have to put the 5 of them sucking?
    If a cow calved here at night I'd be back to bed and let them get on with things themselves unless a calf was looking worse for wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I took a loin of venison out of the freezer on Monday with the intention of cooking it today with all the trimmings but it didn't happen.
    OH and I spent from 12.30 last night till sometime after 7 this morning getting 5 new born calves to up and sucking. Thankfully the cows calved by themselves and they were quiet to deal with. How the hell do dairy farmers deal with multiple births night after night.

You go into zombie mode. Had 25 heifers synchronized to calf the week before I was mentally gearing up for it, the Tues of that week had 16 calved that day, only 3 of those from the bunch of heifers, really threw me out of kilter. The heifers ended up being more spread out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

You’ll have the bug now
    Next purchase will be a PB shorthorn bull
    I bought one last October :D

Bullocks wrote: »
    Did ye have to put the 5 of them sucking?
    If a cow calved here at night I'd be back to bed and let them get on with things themselves unless a calf was looking worse for wear.
    2 big CHx bull calves needed a bit of encouragement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

See Delvin mart has been closed due to covid breaches

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    See Delvin mart has been closed due to covid breaches

Didn't hear that

Reggie. wrote: »
    Didn't hear that

Was on agriland and a few others. Sale wasn't allowed to go ahead today

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Was on agriland and a few others. Sale wasn't allowed to go ahead today

Fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

2 big CHx bull calves needed a bit of encouragement.

The key is the numbers, the milking machine and the fridge freezer. Always have a drop of biestings on the lay-by to be fed or worst case scenario tubed. That said, as the yanks say, sometimes you just keep on keepin' on.
    Fair play to ye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Rarely have a problem with scours. If I have a case, it’s one calf at most. Dosing my 3rd calf of the year this morning for it. Poor girl has it bad today. She decking lying on the slats instead of the straw area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

would anyone know why a parcel of land wouldn't be listed on the land registry website.

would anyone know why a parcel of land wouldn't be listed on the land registry website.

Can't help with that one, but a friendly neighbour was asking me who owned a piece of land he was interested in leasing. I spent the €5 on the land registry for him and the man he contacted said he didn't own that parcel at all :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Land registry is very hit an miss.
    Some of ours is down to the people it was bought off 70 years ago. A neighbours is down to the Land Commission. Other bits and pieces have no documents listed.

We're in the process of going through ours now and sorting it out. Pain in the hole but needs to be done. Recommend ye all do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Because its un-registered.
    Someone somewhere has a handful of old deeds, wills and maps dating back to (possibly) 1600.
    Unless they hand it all into the Land Registry it'll never be registered.
    Some people are hesitant to let perhaps 200 years of family history (old wills etc) go to a Government office somewhere, never to be seen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Because its un-registered.
    Someone somewhere has a handful of old deeds, wills and maps dating back to (possibly) 1600.
    Unless they hand it all into the Land Registry it'll never be registered.
    Some people are hesitant to let perhaps 200 years of family history (old wills etc) go to a Government office somewhere, never to be seen again.

Interesting, I assumed it all had to be registered to be above baord with grants etc. One of the parcel of land would have been owned by a relative of mine in to 50s/60s and was sold when he got out of farming. The other is adjacent and i think was part of the same farm.

Its been sold at least three times in the last 60 years so its odd to me that its not registered.

Its not part of some landed gentry estate that people would be worried about the great great x however many grand fathers will

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

There would be a deed of conveyance ( I think its called) and the agreement between you and your dad/mum if transferred while they were alive, or the will if after their death.

Only real difference is that if you lose those originals, your in a bit of bother, whereas if they are registered a copy of the "registered deed" can be printed off by any Solicitor who is subscribed to the system.
    There won't be a Folio Number in the case of un-registered land, as far as I know.

But it doesn't need to be registered to be sold, if it's all being sold together.
    If a part of it was for sale, I'd say the Solicitirs would push for it to be Registered, to tidy things up and leave it easier in future.
    If things are up to date, and no complications it'd cost 3-4000 euro to get them Registered.
    But nothing stopping you having a burden registered on those old deeds, it's just there won't be a Folio number.

And with a Registered deed, there'll be no trace any more of your great grandfathers will, nor of the fact he bought it from the Right Honerable Archibold Brabazon Sparrow in 1880, or whatever!

Rarely have a problem with scours. If I have a case, it’s one calf at most. Dosing my 3rd calf of the year this morning for it. Poor girl has it bad today. She decking lying on the slats instead of the straw area.

Any chance of getting them outside?

Any chance of getting them outside?

No hope unfortunately. Land is crazy heavy. I can’t even walk them.

No hope unfortunately. Land is crazy heavy. I can’t even walk them.
    Is it a nutritional scour or watery/slimy type. Do the calves have a temperature, are they sucking, dehydrated, showing blood in the scour, basically lethargic/depressed.

• Advertisement

Is it a nutritional scour or watery/slimy type. Do the calves have a temperature, are they sucking, dehydrated, showing blood in the scour, basically lethargic/depressed.

Three of them have improved. I’d say the First Lady was nutritional - that was a week ago and in good form. Second lady seems better, third lad only started and hoping I’ve got him on time. one lady lethargic. Bit of a temp but I’ve no thermometer. I’ve given her 1/2 sulpha this morning and evening and electrolytes. She has perked up a bit. Mother hasn’t been sucked much. But has been a bit.

Rest sucking well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Three of them have improved. I’d say the First Lady was nutritional - that was a week ago and in good form. Second lady seems better, third lad only started and hoping I’ve got him on time. one lady lethargic. Bit of a temp but I’ve no thermometer. I’ve given her 1/2 sulpha this morning and evening and electrolytes. She has perked up a bit. Mother hasn’t been sucked much. But has been a bit.

Rest sucking well.

Should you get a thermometer to have? They cheap.

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Should you get a thermometer to have? They cheap.

I had one in the farming filing cabinet at my mams where it always is along with taggers etc. She has the drawer cleared out so I’m looking for it.

I’ll get a new one today.

Pup here has started chasing our hens. Caught her with one in her mouth yesterday :mad:

Pup here has started chasing our hens. Caught her with one in her mouth yesterday :mad:

Dead or alive? They go through phases if you can stop it.

Hen was a bit shook up but is fine today. Oh caught her at it again today.

Hen was a bit shook up but is fine today. Oh caught her at it again today.

Tis a game. Our dog when he was a pup caught a few of the neighbours racing pigeons. He grew out of it fairly quick so hopefully.

Had the brother lined up to give a hand with a bit of dosing, genotyping today- he owes me a few days. Plenty of notice given, all for it, no sign at 10, no word at 11- test to say he would be up at 2:30. I said rugby would be on at 5 and there’s a few hours work. We can do it after the rugby says he.

Did it myself. Bit awkward at times but done now.

Great win there for Ireland

• Advertisement

Great win there for Ireland

Not over yet. :-D

Advertisement