Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭I says

enricoh wrote: »
    It'll be curtains for sinn fein if they ever go into government. It's free everything for everyone with them knowing full well the magic money tree doesn't exist!
    As opposed to the clowns in their now giving themselves pay rises while voting down free third level fees.

They'll walk the next election if they run the candidates, the problem for them then is realising they can't implement most of their policies.

They’ll learn when they get elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I says wrote: »
    Looking at most of the replies it appears plenty will still be voting ff/fg because they “fixed the road”. Fcuk the two of them now time for a change and only then might the elected gombeens get their commupence.

As far as I can read, none of the replies suggested anything of the sort.
    I'm all for change but not all change is for the better. With public service t's & c's there'll be no comeuppance for any elected representatives.

As far as I can read, none of the replies suggested anything of the sort.
    I'm all for change but not all change is for the better. With public service t's & c's there'll be no comeuppance for any elected representatives.

Read between the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Read between the lines.

Be interesting to see them in Govt., do you think they'd drop the Dole and Old Age Pension to the level it's at in Northern Ireland?
    And if not, I'd be curious to hear their rationale for keeping Northern citizens on half the rate Southern ones are on, while being an All Ireland governing party.

• Advertisement

at this point they're worth a shot, I'd like to see what a government with Pearse Doherty as Minister for Finance, Matt Carthy as Minister for agriculture and O Broin as housing minister could do. Worst case scenario they're no better and the people don't relect them

I'm sick of FG/FF constantly shafting ordinary people, and wrecking the economy every so often and telling anyone who suggests making things a bit better that its impossible, at the very least Sinn Féin have an alternative that is thought out, costed, etc

As for independents we've two of the biggest in the country here in Tipp, one is a FG td in disguise and brazenly a crook the other in Mattie McGrath, I rather have a half decent party TD, at least you know where they stand on issues (good or bad depending on your own ideology)

And the fact FF gave up pretending to oppose FG ( and vice versa) to keep Sinn Fein out is surely a sign the other see SF as a threat to the current status quo

+
    148multi wrote: »
    Don't think it will be a hughe difference who is in power, different shades of whitewash. Their (politicians) words and deeds rarely combine, but a politician has to have the skill to accommodate and compromise which some of the more popular independents don't and don't have to.

As George Hook would have put it, back up the truck there for a minute. Worst case scenario they could be a lot worse. There are people out there, plainly put anti agriculture people, who have found some fertile ground with politicians of the left, particularly in SF and SD. For example one is pro rewilding the Wicklow mountains, which may not affect many here (or me) but think about that for a moment in regards to land ownership and the classification of land as agricultural, or not.

I find party TD's empty puppets, there's always an excuse. I agree with you but others in the party don't, blah blah. They will 100% vote for their buddies to go into ministries knowing full well their buddy isn't your buddy.

The reason I would like a good independent is so I don't have to scribble "none of the above" on my next ballot, which is looking to be the likely outcome at the moment. Just as an example out of interest, I emailed several TD's on an issue recently. Two well known indo's put down parliamentary questions for me, a Govt TD in my constituency gave me the email version of a shrug, Matt Carthy never responded to my first email, and that's fine I'm not in his constituency, I never "expect" a reply in that circumstance.
    They'll walk the next election if they run the candidates, the problem for them then is realising they can't implement most of their policies.

Spot on.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Be interesting to see them in Govt., do you think they'd drop the Dole and Old Age Pension to the level it's at in Northern Ireland?
    And if not, I'd be curious to hear their rationale for keeping Northern citizens on half the rate Southern ones are on, while being an All Ireland governing party.

Easy out blame the DUP or the Brits surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭148multi

And they promised at the last election not to raise the pension age, but yet they voted for raising it in the north, yes the true measure of their party will only be seen if or when they are in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Is it the exchange rate that has the difference
    If the exchange was 66p as per pre 2009 the 2 would be the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Is it the exchange rate that has the difference
    If the exchange was 66p as per pre 2009 the 2 would be the same?

In the North, under 25 and single, you get £345 a month, over 25 its £409 a month.
    Here it's €879 a month.
    Taking the £409 rate and converting at 82p to the Euro gives the NI €500 a month, against €879 here.
    There's loads of other bits and pieces, housing assistance etc but that's the basics of it.
    Of course, NI is cheaper to live in , and wages are lower anyway.
    A freshly qualified Primary School teacher in NI earns €6000 a year less than the same teacher in the Republic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

As opposed to the clowns in their now giving themselves pay rises while voting down free third level fees.

There's a grant if u need it, bad enough lads not putting the work in when there paying for it, imagine if it was free

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

There's a grant if u need it, bad enough lads not putting the work in when there paying for it, imagine if it was free

With a ridiculously low threshold to not qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Free or at least low cost third level is the norm in Europe, Ireland are the outliers in charging a few grand in fees to our own citizens.

Theres no economic agrument for not making education easily accessible, last thing you want is people avoiding third level and post grads due to the cost

straight wrote: »
    They put the policies in place to build a great economy. Go to any developed country in the world and you will see the same issues in the media with health, housing and employment. Alot of people in this country have no idea how good they have it and could do with a good look at other misfortunate countries worldwide of which we were one not so long ago. Shinners are telling people everything they want to hear and I don't fall for their lies. I believe they would have the country in tatters in no time and violence in the North again. Just look at all the head bangers they got elected.

wheres this great economy? Its not in the Ireland I live in

enricoh wrote: »
    It'll be curtains for sinn fein if they ever go into government. It's free everything for everyone with them knowing full well the magic money tree doesn't exist!

still better that FG Leprechaun economics that bases ecomonic policy on statistics that don't reflect the reality of the irish economy

For all the shinner bashing or people who seem to take personal insult at the idea of doing things better in Ireland I've yet to see anyone actually explain how the doctrinaire neoliberalism with a touch of tax haven status that runs the irish economy now is better then giving tried and tested centre left politics ago.

even leaving the big picture stuff out of it and looking at just the agri sector, I don't see FF or FG taking the big issues in farming seriously, at best they throw a few euros at what ever sector is in most dire need (like the suckler payments) and keep going with the mad plan to try become like new zealand

or even more basic, I was finishing school in the middle of the recession FG and FF wrecked the economy and stuck the boot into ordinary as a solution, ignoring basic economics in the process, and forcing thousands to emigrate. I'd be very slow to trust parties that showed themselves to be so incompetent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭straight

wheres this great economy? Its not in the Ireland I live in

U don't have a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

still better that FG Leprechaun economics that bases ecomonic policy on statistics that don't reflect the reality of the irish economy

For all the shinner bashing or people who seem to take personal insult at the idea of doing things better in Ireland I've yet to see anyone actually explain how the doctrinaire neoliberalism with a touch of tax haven status that runs the irish economy now is better then giving tried and tested centre left politics ago.

even leaving the big picture stuff out of it and looking at just the agri sector, I don't see FF or FG taking the big issues in farming seriously, at best they throw a few euros at what ever sector is in most dire need (like the suckler payments) and keep going with the mad plan to try become like new zealand

or even more basic, I was finishing school in the middle of the recession FG and FF wrecked the economy and stuck the boot into ordinary as a solution, ignoring basic economics in the process, and forcing thousands to emigrate. I'd be very slow to trust parties that showed themselves to be so incompetent

I won't be voting for FG in the next election, but if you can't acknowledge that they brought Ireland out of a terrible recession in a reasonable timeframe then theirs no talking to you.

I'm not much older than you either, I went to Australia and it was the best thing I could do, should have stayed there in all honesty.

straight wrote: »
    U don't have a clue

what a great response :D

Noticed a cow with a clear discharge
    She was AI’d 3 weeks ago
    Don’t see any mounting
    Should I take it she didn’t hold

I won't be voting for FG in the next election, but if you can't acknowledge that they brought Ireland out of a terrible recession in a reasonable timeframe then theirs no talking to you.

I'm not much older than you either, I went to Australia and it was the best thing I could do, should have stayed there in all honesty.

its more how they did it, creating more inequality, jobless growth, wage stagnation..e

Setting the stage for bigger problems down the road. I'll give you one example they cut community gardai numbers and funding for the likes of youth clubs. Dublin and cork city are seeing youths going a bit feral as a result.

yes they turned GDP growth around during a global up turn and a few hundred thousand emigrated but thanks to our basket case economy (what people call leprechaun economics) GDP isn't a very useful measure of the economic situation in Ireland (the likes of apple using us to avoid tax artificially raise the GDP

The simple reality is wrong choices were made by Fine Gael that hit ordinary people hard, I avoided aus, ended up in belgium for a few years though. Only back a little over a year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭tanko

She was AI’d 3 weeks ago
    Don’t see any mounting

Not a good sign at the three week mark.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Mod: Bear in mind this is not the Political forum and it is meant to be a reasonably light-hearted thread. Thanks.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 29,547 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

She was AI’d 3 weeks ago
    Don’t see any mounting

Have you any tail paint?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Free or at least low cost third level is the norm in Europe, Ireland are the outliers in charging a few grand in fees to our own citizens.

Theres no economic agrument for not making education easily accessible, last thing you want is people avoiding third level and post grads due to the cost

If you are given something for nothing you will have no value on it, if you pay a few thousand, you will value it, and that's a fact, it's very affordable really , not like USA
    The government do pay 3000 of the fees too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

its more how they did it, creating more inequality, jobless growth, wage stagnation..e

Setting the stage for bigger problems down the road. I'll give you one example they cut community gardai numbers and funding for the likes of youth clubs. Dublin and cork city are seeing youths going a bit feral as a result.

yes they turned GDP growth around during a global up turn and a few hundred thousand emigrated but thanks to our basket case economy (what people call leprechaun economics) GDP isn't a very useful measure of the economic situation in Ireland (the likes of apple using us to avoid tax artificially raise the GDP

The simple reality is wrong choices were made by Fine Gael that hit ordinary people hard, I avoided aus, ended up in belgium for a few years though. Only back a little over a year

There's a hell of a lot of cliched stuff in there, some of which is just not true... sounds a lot like the election manifestos of certain left leaning political parties...

whelan2 wrote: »
    Have you any tail paint?

Hadn’t but will now

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Wouldn't want the two trains of conversation here get mixed up. BTW which politicians are you thinking of tail painting?

Much more concerned at the CS compiling data, incl medical and school, on autistic children and their families. Appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Water John wrote: »
    Wouldn't want the two trains of conversation here get mixed up. BTW which politicians are you thinking of tail painting?

Tail painting might throw up some interesting statistics.

A chinball with indelible ink might lead to a lot of scandals:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Wondering if there'd be much work if you had 8 weanlings in a pen for winter under straw. Would they go through the straw like mad? Or could you have the pen sloped so the liquid seeps away? How much straw would you reckon you'd need and how often would ya need to clean it out?

Alternative is 2 bay slatted, what would the cost difference be in putting up a regular shed v putting in a tank? Bit of extra space would be nice.

Also how long before you let calves in on slats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I would say half a round bale per week. No need to clean out, let it build up. Slope is key, 1:20.

Advertisement