Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Water John wrote: »
    I would say half a round bale per week. No need to clean out, let it build up. Slope is key, 1:20.

Would you recommend it? It's a reasonable thing to be at?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I'm not the best to give the advice as I have a slatted area also where they eat. The bedding then is a lying area. The capital cost difference is huge. A small number of animals couldn't justify slats.
    If you have some standing area for them to eat, eg. a circular feeder on a concrete yard, straw bedding is ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Wondering if there'd be much work if you had 8 weanlings in a pen for winter under straw. Would they go through the straw like mad? Or could you have the pen sloped so the liquid seeps away? How much straw would you reckon you'd need and how often would ya need to clean it out?

Alternative is 2 bay slatted, what would the cost difference be in putting up a regular shed v putting in a tank? Bit of extra space would be nice.

Also how long before you let calves in on slats?

Years ago we’d weanlings on straw
    They were separated 1 of bulls and 1 of heifers
    Weanling bulls are easier kept than heifers
    We just kept adding as needed and got a loader to clean out in the summer
    Ideally an apron along the feed barrier

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'm not the best to give the advice as I have a slatted area also where they eat. The bedding then is a lying area. The capital cost difference is huge. A small number of animals couldn't justify slats.
    If you have some standing area for them to eat, eg. a circular feeder on a concrete yard, straw bedding is ideal.

Open yards aren't legal now unless you've a tank to scrape them into

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I'd sleep on a bed of nails tonight.

We had a cow calving last night and when I checked her at 3am there was a leg down. I got OH up outta bed and between him working with his good arm and me with both we managed to push the calf back and get the missing leg up. I've more aches and pains than I would have had 10 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Years ago we’d weanlings on straw
    They were separated 1 of bulls and 1 of heifers
    Weanling bulls are easier kept than heifers
    We just kept adding as needed and got a loader to clean out in the summer
    Ideally an apron along the feed barrier

How much straw would you go through do you reckon?

Is there any use for that used straw then? Is it worth anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

How big is the pen that you are putting the weanlings into. Currently round bales of wbs/sbs are selling at €35+ delivery and it's only going to get more expensive in the future if tillage farmers opt for the new scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Is there any use for that used straw then? Is it worth anything?

The FYM is fantastic fertilizer
    Shed layout was a 35m wide Dry shed at the back of a slatted pen, each pen was 1 bay, 12-15 in each pen
    Bulls would need a freshing once a week, heifers could be the same unless any were in heat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭einn32

Base price wrote: »
    I'd sleep on a bed of nails tonight.

We had a cow calving last night and when I checked her at 3am there was a leg down. I got OH up outta bed and between him working with his good arm and me with both we managed to push the calf back and get the missing leg up. I've more aches and pains than I would have had 10 years ago.

Great feeling though when ya succeed like that. The wins always drove me on through the calving season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭I says

I says wrote: »
    The last few elections was ff/fg sneering SF but at this stage I’ll vote for sf because I’m sick of ff/fg.

Beacon hospital vaccine jabs for the elite and their cronies, nothing will be done by those in power. SF, people before profit and the social dems are going to get a lot more votes in the next election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Beacon hospital vaccine jabs for the elite and their cronies, nothing will be done by those in power. SF, people before profit and the social dems are going to get a lot more votes in the next election.

Possibly...

But will think they will be different?

Did the storey funeral up the north show that SF think the rules don’t apply to them?
    Will they just look after their own when they get the power, same as all the rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

That was said before the last election, SF got a record number of seats, but what has changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Possibly...

Did the storey funeral up the north show that SF think the rules don’t apply to them?
    Will they just look after their own when they get the power, same as all the rest?

I reckon in recent years, Irish political parties are only good in opposition. The second they get in power, they are either useless or corrupt, it doesn’t matter what party name or principles they have on the flyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭I says

Possibly...

So you’re happy to get billed by the same crowd every election. No harm in seeing will SF saddle us any differently.

I always will look at alternatives, but don't believe SF fit the bill, they just pretend to. BTW I have voted both SD and Green. I would see the SDs as my nearest fit ATM.

So you’re happy to get billed by the same crowd every election. No harm in seeing will SF saddle us any differently.

I think it’ll be the same whoever it is, just different names or logos, but same thing overall...

I think SF if they got into power, would overall make the same decisions but would tinker with the edges to put their slant on it... that’s it...

Now, having said all that, I am not sure I could bring myself to vote SF. I don’t trust or like any of them, but I REALLY don’t trust or like SF... ;)

I always will look at alternatives, but don't believe SF fit the bill, they just pretend to. BTW I have voted both SD and Green. I would see the SDs as my nearest fit ATM.

Yeah, voted SD in last election, and she got in.
    Not sure what kinda job she’s doing to be honest, havent heard neither good nor bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Yeah, voted SD in last election, and she got in.
    Not sure what kinda job she’s doing to be honest, havent heard neither good nor bad...

The problem with the SDs is that they are determined never to go into government. Their leaders were both in government in the past and didn't appreciate having to make the hard decisions.

I can't see the point of voting for them if that's their attitude as their policies are meaningless since there is no prospect of them being implemented!

Was disappointed they didn't, but they have considerable ability and carry weight in the Dail.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Did you venture to Kilmallock today Water John?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Traveled a couple of different main roads today within the county,its a little over a year with covid, since i was on the same roads.

Almost unbelievable the state these roads are in.we are all still paying road tax,annual tests e.t.c relative to having a vehicle on the road.

No doubt the poor state of roads is replicated across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,547 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

ruwithme wrote: »
    Traveled a couple of different main roads today within the county,its a little over a year with covid, since i was on the same roads.

Almost unbelievable the state these roads are in.we are all still paying road tax,annual tests e.t.c relative to having a vehicle on the road.

Had to go to Newry today to collect oh who was leaving his lorry up to main dealer to be fixed. Road was very quiet. Went into the services on motorway on the way back it was so quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Possibly...

There was a state funeral in the 26 around the same time that albeit after tragic circumstances it still had similar numbers at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭tanko

Luxembourg :eek:

tanko wrote: »

It was a good goal

Cant believe Anne doyle is 10 years retired

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

tanko wrote: »

In fairness they are a team on the up and have the only player on the pitch that has played in the Champions league. In contrast this is easily the worst Irish team in 40+ years. I do feel sorry for Kenny as between that and mass injuries its been a poisoned chalice since the start:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

whelan2 wrote: »
    Cant believe Anne doyle is 10 years retired

Great Ferns woman.

Came from a thatched house I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭straight

ruwithme wrote: »

They're a disgrace. I'm sure sf said they're going to upgrade all roads to motorway standard if elected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭straight

Great Ferns woman.

Came from a thatched house I think?

Can't get her snog with Brendan O' Connor out of my head. She'd be good craic I'd say.

Advertisement