Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Anyone know where I might get bulk sunflower seeds to plant. Thinking of doing 1/4 of an acre in a veg garden that I’m not going to use this year. Worst case scenario I’ll plant wild flower seeds.

Google seems to show up bird seed. Thanks in advance.

I use Moles seeds in the uk up to this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Anyone know where I might get bulk sunflower seeds to plant. Thinking of doing 1/4 of an acre in a veg garden that I’m not going to use this year. Worst case scenario I’ll plant wild flower seeds.

Google seems to show up bird seed. Thanks in advance.

https://www.maceoinltd.com/cover-crops-seeds/

Maceion in Kerry has that sort of stuff. We often buy from him. Excellent seller, we've often ordered of a Sun night and had the delivery on Tuesday.
    We sow maybe 1/16th acre of sunflower and undersow it with phacelia. Works out great. The butterflies and bees love it! And it looks very well. The phacelia grows to about 2' and the sunflower takes over the sky above it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

https://www.maceoinltd.com/cover-crops-seeds/

Maceion in Kerry has that sort of stuff. We often buy from him. Excellent seller, we've often ordered of a Sun night and had the delivery on Tuesday.
    We sow maybe 1/16th acre of sunflower and undersow it with phacelia. Works out great. The butterflies and bees love it! And it looks very well. The phacelia grows to about 2' and the sunflower takes over the sky above it.

Brilliant thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Had the knackery out yesterday

Your man had a two headed calf in the lorry

• Advertisement

Green&Red wrote: »
    Had the knackery out yesterday

Your man had a two headed calf in the lorry

One set of tags or two? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

There was a lad in north Clare that was doing it too.

https://g.co/kgs/A3Huh6 That's the fella that had it sown if you want to contact him to find out where he got it.

I ordered off the site Genghis suggested, ordered before lunch and just got the email to say it was dispatched.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Genghis thanks for that. Nice to have another supplier on my seed list. Hadn't heard of them.

Water John wrote: »
    Genghis thanks for that. Nice to have another supplier on my seed list. Hadn't heard of them.

We buy any poultry stuff off him too. Very knowledgeable chap about incubators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We buy any poultry stuff off him too. Very knowledgeable chap about incubators.
    I used to buy poultry/incubators from them when the boys were rearing poultry. I didn't know they did seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Kevhog1988 wrote: »

Good to see, but in my honest opinion, most activities on a farm don't need anything like the kind of speed broadband is capable of. The future, as I see it is in many sensors collecting data and sending it back over new network type (low power wide area network - LoRaWAN). This way, you can put sensors on anything. Examples being:
    • Small GPS sensors
    • Temp/pressure sensors
    • Sensor to alert if a gate is opened
    • soil temp
    • etc
    Let your imagination go wild! All these are very low power, activating periodically sending data to the network where it can then be bundled and piggy back on the 4G/5G networks to be processed.

Cuts out the need for expensive broadband, sim cards in many devices, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Good to see, but in my honest opinion, most activities on a farm don't need anything like the kind of speed broadband is capable of. The future, as I see it is in many sensors collecting data and sending it back over new network type (low power wide area network - LoRaWAN). This way, you can put sensors on anything. Examples being:
    • Small GPS sensors
    • Temp/pressure sensors
    • soil temp
    • etc
    Let your imagination go wild! All these are very low power, activating periodically sending data to the network where it can then be bundled and piggy back on the 4G/5G networks to be processed.

Rooster - You made me think of Emaherx and his tech guntering thread...

Which made me think of Emaherx and the new job...

So... how’s the new job going Emaherx? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Feckin electricity keeps cutting off in the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Swallows here this morning.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Base price wrote: »
    Feckin electricity keeps cutting off in the last few days.

If only you kept paying the bill

• Registered Users Posts: 29,548 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Lidl have cabbage and cauliflower plants atm. 12 for 1.99. Also tomato plants

So I checked up on times etc. I ordered the seeds at 11:09 yesterday off MacEoin General Merchants. And it has just arrived. Delighted with the service and the packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

jimmy G M wrote: »

A few people have commented to me this week how early the first Swallows have arrived at various locations - probably something to do with the current airflow and heatwave over Western Europe. Sadly though many will probably not survive next weeks nasty looking cold spell which potentially will do alot of damage to eary spring foliage too:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

jimmy G M wrote: »

Saw a Butterfly early last week....in late this evening from 'lambing watch'...going to chance going without a fire for first time this year.Was a lovely warm day....had a ewe in shed with twins born yday and one of them was not in great shape ,hump on his back this morning in shed and hungry looking...his mouth was cold...gave him a feed of colostrum and let them out to the sun....talk about the transformative powers of the sun...had a job to catch him in paddock this evening...his mouth as warm as toast and he had definitely sucked the ewe...love lambing time....hard work but rewarding......something the majority of City Slickers just would not understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Fine day here, at that rewarding task, picking stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,548 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Water John wrote: »
    Fine day here, at that rewarding task, picking stones.

Cutting briars at the electric fence here. Almost as nice a job

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭emaherx

Rooster - You made me think of Emaherx and his tech guntering thread...

Which made me think of Emaherx and the new job...

So... how’s the new job going Emaherx? :)

Going good so far, although I'm very much still finding me feet.

I'm working on Milking Parlours, there is plenty of Sensors and RFID in automatic drafting systems, and heat detection and health monitoring systems to keep me busy for a while. There is also some robots for scraping out sheds and pushing in silage, but I've not seen too much on them yet.

Its right up my street or possibly bothereen.

Good to see, but in my honest opinion, most activities on a farm don't need anything like the kind of speed broadband is capable of.

The farmer (or possibly the farmers spouse) still needs good broadband for Netflix though.
    The future, as I see it is in many sensors collecting data and sending it back over new network type (low power wide area network - LoRaWAN). This way, you can put sensors on anything. Examples being:
    • Small GPS sensors
    • Temp/pressure sensors
    • soil temp
    • etc

I've been busy making sensors like this for everything both around the house/garden and the farm, I'm pretty sure my wife thinks I'm insane, although she seems quite happy with the smart heating system that I've made.

I've been experimenting with some LoraWan, mostly The Things Network and I've made my own test gateway using a cheap ESP32 module.

But mostly I've just been using LoRa radios on ESP32 and Arduino devices to communicate directly with each other without the need for a LoRaWAN provider, meaning no dependence on any providers or any kind of internet or GSM connections. I've run a good few experiments and have managed simplex communications of 2-3KM and duplex up to about 1KM, but can use repeaters to expand range also.

T short weather this evening, but early in the morning would leave you in no doubt it's April yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

T short weather this evening, but early in the morning would leave you in no doubt it's April yet.

Burnt my bald head today. Didn't realise it was so warm there was a slight breeze.

Find your jumper for Monday though :D

emaherx wrote: »
    Find your jumper for Monday though :D

Snowmen for all, frostbite for some! I'm never sorry for lambing late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Was out on a jog this evening around the parents place (was summoned to stay the night cos they got their vaccine this evening and they wanted me near in case of any bad reaction) and on my way back seen on of the new tenants of one of the local council houses stroll into the shed at my grannies. I hung around for a minute and he popped out again and I quizzed him on his intentions. Seems he intended to get the ride from some young one :D

I told him to sling his ladhook and piss off. And he did. A few minutes later I spotted the bold divil heading back in again (to the shed)! Gave him 20 minutes and then headed up to run him again. The 2 were on the way out when I got there and I told him again to scarper and not come back.

Time will tell whether they heed my advice or not

Advertisement