Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Water John

30 months is only an artificial line invented by factories for reducing the price. Doesn't effect your heifer. BTW I want a steak, rib eye preferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Water John wrote: »
    30 months is only an artificial line invented by factories for reducing the price. Doesn't effect your heifer. BTW I want a steak, rib eye preferred.

Need someone more in the know than me with the details, But a butcher can't kill an over 30 month for sale in his own shop because of some snag with the bone, maybe alright for home freezing,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Water John wrote: »

Grand job. Thanks. First time doing it. No bother- any preference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Base price wrote: »
    Long story short I nicked a bag of eco urea yesterday when reversing the diet feeder. The bag belongs to a neighbour and is left over from a delivery he got earlier on. The neighbour doesn't have a front loader so he sometimes gets large bags of fert delivered to us and either OH or I lift the bags with the 50b so he can fill the spreader. I phoned him when it happened and he said it's no good to him cause he has all his slurry out and for us to use it. I think it's about 300kg. The grains are just about spilling out from the plastic lining but I don't think I can plug the hole properly and I reckon the outer bag will tear if I try lifting it to move it into a shed.
    Is it too late to spread it next week when the weather dries up. I have a couple of dry fields (20 odd acres) that have been grazed tight so I could put it on them.

Anyone you know have a soft hands bale lifter, might take the pressure off the slit. Roll of Silage tape to seal it.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

If you knock the bag of fertilizer sideways onto a pallet with the slit up the bag might go slack and silage tape should fix it but bring it inside it you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Quick question. I’ve a heifer booked for slaughter with an abattoir in west Clare for the freezer. Just looked at her dob and she will be 31 months. Does it make any difference or do I need to call the butcher to check anything.

I

Ask the butcher just in case. I think an animal is deemed a full adult at 30 months and SRM has to be removed from the carcase. Small plants don't have the equipment to do this.

I

Ask the butcher just in case. I think an animal is deemed a full adult at 30 months and SRM has to be removed from the carcase. Small plants don't have the equipment to do this.

I see when I looked at FSai site about SRM- the lad I had called doesn’t have adult bovine on his list. I’ll call in am just in case.

There is an abbatoir in Ennis and in meelick that say they do adult cattle.
    The first one was up for sale, I don’t know are they open.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I think it’s a sad state that the only two you can choose from are those two.

In that televised debate- trump did say he would denounce no problem and after that phrase his wording was wrong, either loaded or not. Biden still hasn’t denounced BLM when there was violence.

Biden telling Trump to shut up was not optimum either- imagine loosing your cool in a high pressure situation.

Everyone said the world would end the second trump got the launch codes, and it still hasn’t happened.

The far right are so far right and the far left are so far left, they are nearly side by side.

Free speech been effectively destroyed by twitter/Facebook in their handling of burying the hunter biden laptop story is the most worrying aspect, along with any good news story about trump posted by various news outlets been removed our accounts suspended by the above two, that's communist levels of censorship and is extremely worrying....
    For all trump's faults at least he managed to effectively shut down the American war machine in the middle east, I'd fully expect sleepy joe will ramp it back up again the minute he potentially gets back into power

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Free speech been effectively destroyed by twitter/Facebook in their handling of burying the hunter biden laptop story is the most worrying aspect, along with any good news story about trump posted by various news outlets been removed our accounts suspended by the above two, that's communist levels of censorship and is extremely worrying....
    For all trump's faults at least he managed to effectively shut down the American war machine in the middle east, I'd fully expect sleepy joe will ramp it back up again the minute he potentially gets back into power

There was a lad on Twitter that put a photo on Biden on top, a long white space and trump at the bottom. And vice versa with the title- just checking the Twitter algorithm and all you could see was bidens face in all the photos.

Now I don’t know was that set up or what as I’ve no clue about Twitter etc but if it’s true, it’s an awful lot of tinkering of an election.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭jaymla627

There was a lad on Twitter that put a photo on Biden on top, a long white space and trump at the bottom. And vice versa with the title- just checking the Twitter algorithm and all you could see was bidens face in all the photos.

Now I don’t know was that set up or what as I’ve no clue about Twitter etc but if it’s true, it’s an awful lot of tinkering of an election.

They locked the account of the White House press secretary for retweeting the hunter Biden ukraine story, it has also come to light that a 90 page Senate report has been commissioned on it as been factually true, with no denial from the Biden camp our legal proceedings for defamation by them against various media outlets for printing the story....
    The deluded perception that if trump is gotten out of office, it will overnight solve America's problems is grasping at straws

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Did he try with trump at the top and Biden at the bottom? If not then he cant say anything

ganmo wrote: »
    Did he try with trump at the top and Biden at the bottom? If not then he cant say anything

Two different posts with trump at top in one and at bottom in the other.

It was one long photo with the two boys on either end of white space.

In all the photos, Biden appeared in the preview. Below is the link.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RadhakrishnaPai/status/1322830066280116224

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

ganmo wrote: »

Been long known that Twitter are manipulating feeds.

Same experiment was done with posts with white people and black people. The algorithm always previewed the post using the photo of the white face and hid the black face. Twitter apologised and said ot was unintentional, but coding is rarely unintentional

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

There's no real point now.
    It'll leach before the grass gets favourable conditions to grow proper.

Let it into your slurry tank and spread in the spring with the slurry.
    Anyone you know have a soft hands bale lifter, might take the pressure off the slit. Roll of Silage tape to seal it.
    If you knock the bag of fertilizer sideways onto a pallet with the slit up the bag might go slack and silage tape should fix it but bring it inside it you can.
    Thanks for the replies. AFAIK our slurry contractor has soft hands thingies. I will phone him in the morning and ask if he can move the bag into a shed for safe keeping for the Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Base price wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. AFAIK our slurry contractor has soft hands thingies. I will phone him in the morning and ask if he can move the bag into a shed for safe keeping for the Winter.

Could you get a couple of rachet straps around it, might stabilize it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Silage tape won't do. Get a roll of bale wrap and stretch it around the bag a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I have it, I have it..... What you need Base is Rachet straps , silage tape and silage wrap.

Wrap the bejaysus outta it with them all. Hang a sprig of holly over it and rub on a bit of burnt oil .

The jobs a good un! :=)

Could you get a couple of rachet straps around it, might stabilize it for you.
    That's an good idea. The cut is about half way down the bag. We have plenty of ratchet straps around here so will try it tomorrow.

I have it, I have it..... What you need Base is Rachet straps , silage tape and silage wrap.

Wrap the bejaysus outta it with them all. Hang a sprig of holly over it and rub on a bit of burnt oil .

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Surprised baling twine hasn't been mentioned yet. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

NcdJd wrote: »
    Surprised baling twine hasn't been mentioned yet. :D

It's scarce:(.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    It's scarce:(.
    We buy large square bales (8x4x4) of barley and wheaten straw for the diet feeder. I always save the twines as they are always useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Ffs - Ye forgot about the bailer twine! :mad:

Ncd - you bet me too it ;)

Brw I have a large supply if you need it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Quick question. I’ve a heifer booked for slaughter with an abattoir in west Clare for the freezer. Just looked at her dob and she will be 31 months. Does it make any difference or do I need to call the butcher to check anything.

I'd ring them to be sure, our deep freeze heifers have to be u24 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

gozunda wrote: »
    Ffs - Ye forgot about the bailer twine! :mad:

It will never work unless you've a few pallets to tie together. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Waste oil might help too

whelan2 wrote: »
    Waste oil might help too

Only if you prop up the bag with holly branches first, many people forget this critical step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

There's only one crew that does the big square bales around here. I was lucky enough to find this before all the baling twine collectors found out about it. It's now under lock and key with all my other bits of baling twine. Touch wood I've never had the need to use it thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Only if you prop up the bag with holly branches first, many people forget this critical step.

Male holly ?

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Male holly ?

Surely that'd be sexist

Advertisement