Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

DBK1 wrote: »
    We haven’t had a night without the fire this year yet. This time last year it was well above 20 degrees every day. We actually baled hay for a man on 16th April last year!

Same as that, stove lighting every day here since last September, both of us working from home everyday so stove is lite every day at 12.00 or there about

_Brian wrote: »
    One lesson l learned, or relearned recently was don’t keep putting stuff off, nobody knows what’s round the corner.

So we bought this little fixer upper today.
    Few oily bits to sort, then few wee bits of rust, then it will apparently become a campervan.

https://ibb.co/wpHSNFN

Something similar on our wishlist here, best of luck with it, should be handy enough job to convert overall and then great memories to be made travelling all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Have what I thought were a few badger burrow on a bit of land, today a seen a fox heading into one of the burrows, would that mean the badgers have moved out?

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Have what I thought were a few badger burrow on a bit of land, today a seen a fox heading into one of the burrows, would that mean the badgers have moved out?

They can co-exist unless the badger has young and then the fox won't want anything to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Figerty

Anto_Meath wrote: »

Most likely, or were never there.. Foxes know how to dig very well.

• Advertisement

Tree question... Is there a specific number of trees per hectare that might cause land to be classed as forestry rather than permanent grassland? I want to plant a fair few for shelter and other purposes but don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Was doing a bit of clearing earlier and my fingers are all thorns despite wearing gloves...

Now, the gloves I had on were only light...

I imagine a good heavy leather pair would do me?
    So - anyone recommend a good heavy pair of gloves that could be used that would keep out briar thorns and the likes...

i came upon an accident the other day (all ok just some young lad couldnt take the bend and wrecked his car) and noticed the firemen had great leather gloves. i must see can i get a pair of them.

Edit: found a similar pair https://www.grattansupplies.ie/product-p/su378gobkl.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1PSDBhDbARIsAPeTqrcsqmrxhxXg5M04n2C27bUaFZSPASGo4qUuIcI6h7iNLLs1FVxDTroaAuwMEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Tree question... Is there a specific number of trees per hectare that might cause land to be classed as forestry rather than permanent grassland? I want to plant a fair few for shelter and other purposes but don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

There is. Will ask on the Agroforestry Q & A tomorrow night. This area looks like changing anyway as this absolute rule of land being either forestry or agriculture is hindering agroforestry.
    Here you are:
    https://www.gov.ie/en/service/b9742e-agroforestry-grants/
    Less than 1,000/ha starting and dropping to 250/ha.

This scheme may suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Odelay

Water John wrote: »
    There is. Will ask on the Agroforestry Q & A tomorrow night. This area looks like changing anyway as this absolute rule of land being either forestry or agriculture is hindering agroforestry.
    Here you are:
    https://www.gov.ie/en/service/b9742e-agroforestry-grants/
    Less than 1,000/ha starting and dropping to 250/ha.

This scheme may suit you.

Thanks, as usual with these schemes they're prescriptive and agenda driven, had a look at the T's & C's and I will stick to plan A - doing as I like :D

• Advertisement

Thanks, as usual with these schemes they're prescriptive and agenda driven, had a look at the T's & C's and I will stick to plan A - doing as I like :D

What you need to watch is the land being designated forestry, as you know, reduced Farm Payment. The best way might be to plant a row, 'as shelter', next to the fences. Start with the North South fences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Figerty wrote: »
    Most likely, or were never there.. Foxes know how to dig very well.

As anyone who has ever read of Fantastic Mr. Fox will know ;)

Was doing a bit of clearing earlier and my fingers are all thorns despite wearing gloves...

Now, the gloves I had on were only light...

I imagine a good heavy leather pair would do me?
    So - anyone recommend a good heavy pair of gloves that could be used that would keep out briar thorns and the likes...

Gauntlets as mentioned, but they're heavy. I always found the old type short thick leather work gloves with the stripey cloth and strip of elastic on the back good. Of course they used harden over time if not oiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Gauntlets as mentioned, but they're heavy. I always found the old type short thick leather work gloves with the stripey cloth and strip of elastic on the back good. Of course they used harden over time if not oiled.

Good idea, I have a few hardened pairs, they are still good for dealing with thorns.
    What have you oiled them with?.
    Dubbin wax would probably work, I think I have a tin of it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

• Registered Users Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

mgbgt1978 wrote: »

RIP.

Condolences to family and friends.

Don't mean to sound heartless but I hope the investigations into the charity continue and the court case goes ahead and the public get to know the full goings on in the charity.
    I say that because I know Ireland and how things are covered up and how people can draw funds down for themselves.

Deepest sympathies to all. It's never worth that.

Good idea, I have a few hardened pairs, they are still good for dealing with thorns.
    What have you oiled them with?.
    Dubbin wax would probably work, I think I have a tin of it somewhere.

Saddle oil. But any kind of natural oil or fat would do. I make a bit of butter for the house occasionally and often use a bit of unsalted stuff that's going a bit sour to oil things up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Have a cow calved a month with a white discharge
    Is it best to get a vet to wash her out or use a cidr?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭tanko

Will a CIDR do any good if there's some infection there?
    Finding out if there's infection and treating it might be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Treat first, cidr would help if not cycling for other reasons but if infection treatment first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭White Clover

A shot of estrumate could be the answer. A good bulling would clean her out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

A shot of estrumate could be the answer. A good bulling would clean her out.

That’s what I was thinking, but wasn’t sure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

Have a cow calved a month with a white discharge
    Is it best to get a vet to wash her out or use a cidr?

Our AI man will wash them.for us if he is ona call to another one. Get metricure or similar wash from the vets and have it handy there for him.

With the signing off on a 10% methane reduction, it's sad to see both org leaders and farmers bickering at one another over it (Farming Ind today)beef/sucklers V dairy. They all really need to start looking at positive scientific options to achieve that, not sounding off like 2 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The super league seems to have been called off hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Odelay

whelan2 wrote: »
    The super league seems to have been called off hopefully

I'm gonna trademark the "Super Duper Deluxe Extra Special League", get one step ahead of them. Billions here I come!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Mooooo wrote: »
    There is a bit of research going on
    ]

Already done! :D

20210420-205814.jpg

Available with the next teagasc newsletter. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

On now - Our Yorkshire Farm - Channel 5 - Sky 105

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

The Derek chauvin trial verdict expected to be announced at ten o'clock.

Advertisement