Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Hard wind still down in Cork, about 11/12 C. Think it will warm up in a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I did and now I'm literally a "redneck":(

Eldest lad went for a run and his neck and cheeks are burnt. After sun on him.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Don't forget the sunscreen

And mind your knees :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Water John wrote: »
    Hard wind still down in Cork, about 11/12 C. Think it will warm up in a day or two.

Have a field ploughed here with 2 weeks. Getting it ready for maize. Dried out and bullet hard Harrowed it today. Broke into hard clods. Rolling it now trying to break down the lumps. As for the wind pure east and continuing next week.Not good for man or beast. Not much growing with last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Have a field ploughed here with 2 weeks. Getting it ready for maize. Dried out and bullet hard Harrowed it today. Broke into hard clods. Rolling it now trying to break down the lumps. As for the wind pure east and continuing next week.Not good for man or beast. Not much growing with last week.

Heavy land is it, mine dries like concrete too, probably should've rolled it before harrowing,
    Min till and no ploughing is working well on the heavy land round here, probably not with maize though, We must be too far north and west here, maize has really gone out of favour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

wrangler wrote: »
    Heavy land is it, mine dries like concrete too, probably should've rolled it before harrowing,
    Min till and no ploughing is working well on the heavy land round here, probably not with maize though, We must be too far north and west here, maize has really gone out of favour

Ploughed 2 fields yesterday as well after maize. Turned over smashing but youd see it's dried and hardening today. Another lad rolling it with a Cambridge roller and we were commenting on how it dried in 24 hrs. Ground would be slow to dry in winter but great growing in it back in 18.

Gave a fair bit of the fall of the year travelling in a truck with a fella through work and a lot of the rest of the year in a van travelling the country for work, covid guidelines were a van like a transit or lorry cab were sweet enough to travel together in but a small van wasnt ok. We just got on with it and between the three of us we all either had it, had a close contact with it or suspected synptoms at some stage or other.
    Were all grown ups we can decide for ourselves whats right and wrong most of the time. Some people are plain and simply gone to f#ck in the last year in regards guidelines. The closest friend locally here wont call up to the house for a chat outside but will meet up in town in a more crowded place as thats what the current guidelines are. Worlds gone mad.

Patsy mc Garry told a story in the indo of his brother and nephew coming home from america, ignoring the restrictions , not wearing masks and the chaos they left. He says he's very sick and another nephew, 30 yrs of age, is in a bad way in hospital. Of course the brats that's caused it only had a positive test, not a bother on them at all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Undrained Callow land is also an asset in such conditions and on many farms provided the only bit of growth during the epic 2018 drought.

Around this county that'd be macamore land. Fantastic grassland in summer.
    Totally unsuited to tillage even though some try to feck it up for tillage. Land that used to be under the Irish sea. Soil that's now sold as calcified seaweed by commercial companies dredging such like from the seabed around this country.

If one looks at wexford on NASA worldview on the 4/04/21 it's the last green sizeable area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Patsy mc Garry told a story in the indo of his brother and nephew coming home from america, ignoring the restrictions , not wearing masks and the chaos they left. He says he's very sick and another nephew, 30 yrs of age, is in a bad way in hospital. Of course the brats that's caused it only had a positive test, not a bother on them at all
    The snowflake generation as you like to call them prats too. Yet you see no irony in demanding they pause their lives for a year plus to mind you. The old and vulnerable are vaccinated yet no slowdown with the worst case scenario anecdotes.

Getting shot on the last day of war is a good analogy. How many will be like the story of the Japanese WW2 soldier who never surrendered fighting on for years such is the level of fear they are living in. Sadly some people will never get back to normal.

Gillespy wrote: »
    The snowflake generation as you like to call them prats too. Yet you see no irony in demanding they pause their lives for a year plus to mind you. The old and vulnerable are vaccinated yet no slowdown with the worst case scenario anecdotes.

Getting shot on the last day of war is a good analogy. How many will be like the story of the Japanese WW2 soldier who never surrendered fighting on for years such is the level of fear they are living in. Sadly some people will never get back to normal.

There seems to be a two level effort, under 60 are avoiding poorly as if it was the flu, decades under 60 have three times the infection rate at the moment of 60 to 70,
    What people don't realise is they are extending the lockdown and giving new variants breeding ground, I'm vaccinated now so it makes no difference to me how long they want to extend the lockdown. It looks like I'll be able to go where I like in three weeks

• Advertisement

Where are you going to go though? Nowhere is open.

The north and england is opening up well now, it looks like we can fly now without quarantining if vaccinated, As i said before I've a weddiing in the North in july as well, Might have to go on my own to that,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

There seems to be a two level effort, under 60 are avoiding poorly as if it was the flu, decades under 60 have three times the infection rate at the moment of 60 to 70,
    What people don't realise is they are extending the lockdown and giving new variants breeding ground, I'm vaccinated now so it makes no difference to me how long they want to extend the lockdown. It looks like I'll be able to go where I like in three weeks

Hold on, how does the lockdown not make any difference to you? It's not clear yet how transmission works with the vaccine so you could easily be passing on the virus to some poor unvaccinated person.

All in this together.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Hold on, how does the lockdown not make any difference to you? It's not clear yet how transmission works with the vaccine so you could easily be passing on the virus to some poor unvaccinated person.

All in this together.

That's the point, we're not in this together when people are going around infecting 500/day. I see neighbours that are never at home.
    I've promised myself when I became immune I'll carry on like them.
    This'll go on forever if people don't cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

That's the point, we're not in this together when people are going around infecting 500/day. I see neighbours that are never at home.
    I've promised myself when I became immune I'll carry on like them.
    This'll go on forever if people don't cop on

Do you not see the irony of the last 2 lines of your post?

Do you not see the irony of the last 2 lines of your post?

No but I see the irony in the majority trying to avoid the virus despite brats people trying to spread it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

We don't actually have a "lock down", that's just a buzzword adopted by the media and repeated endlessly.
    What we have is a forced closure of small businesses and the leisure/entertainment section of society.
    If you are lucky enough to work in other sectors, including farming, then you are relatively unaffected.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    We don't actually have a "lock down", that's just a buzzword adopted by the media and repeated endlessly.
    What we have is a forced closure of small businesses and the leisure/entertainment section of society.
    If you are lucky enough to work in other sectors, including farming, then you are relatively unaffected.

People have been travelling across the country all through "lockdown", to visit their holiday property not for work.

A local visitor was silly enough to tell the community here he was stopped enroute. He told the Gardaí there was a broken window in his property. Cops took his details, where is the house etc. When our hero arrived the local Gardaí were waiting for him with a large fine - no broken window.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Daughters second covid test was clear thank god.

Bringing the girls to do a bit of kayaking

https://ibb.co/kB5ykSz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Terrible to say but i bet hes kicking himself for meeting up in close contact with them after they returned from travelling now.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement

Another day for the t-shirt ☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Another day for the t-shirt ☀️

Ha ha, I was out cutting the lawn and had a hoodie on, with the hood up :)

Lovely sun here today, but the Easy wind is still cutting... :(

Ha ha, I was out cutting the lawn and had a hoodie on, with the hood up :)

Lovely sun here today, but the Easy wind is still cutting... :(

Looking at the week ahead I'll won't leave the fleece or jacket too far from me!

When farmers head for the lake... :D
    maAiiVB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

maAiiVB.jpg

Ah could you not lend them a better trailer?

Ah could you not lend them a better trailer?

Fecker has my car, and you want me to give him the trailer as well?
    :D

Anyone heading golfing tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Anyone heading golfing tomorrow?

Kids training starting back too
    That’ll tighten the schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Great for the kids to be back playing ball tomorrow. Can't wait to be back training myself and the return of the intercounty games on TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I saw some (insert word..) driving a transit van with two bales of silage on the roof this evening passing the farm.

You'd have to wonder who was worse, the (insert word) driving, willing to endanger themselves and everyone else on the road or the (insert word) who loaded the bales onto the transit?

Nothing I've ever seen before nor would want to see again.

Advertisement