Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Social media really brings out the intellect in people.

Point being I've read posts elsewhere blaming the mountain and national park fires on overgrazing.

Not much logic there alright since the fire risk is greatest when vegetation builds up and dies back over succesive years without grazing. Saw in the news last week that Spain is bringing back the Euro Bison to deal with the fire risk in prone regions. We could do with seeing more cattle on the hills here for similar reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

got a tap fitting for an IBC tank and the threads were wrong on it, I was in the co-op today to get a refund and the wont take it back because its a bit dirty (been in the boot a few days)

I walked out fairly pissed off, I'm going to give it a wash and head back into them with it. shocking carry on to sell you a wrong part and not want to take it back.

I'd say something if id damaged it but its literary a bit of dirt off what ever ****e was in the boot

Social media really brings out the intellect in people.

Point being I've read posts elsewhere blaming the mountain and national park fires on overgrazing.

Maybe if people think first about the physics of that first before posting and not let their hatred of livestock farming cloud their every thought we might get somewhere.

It's California and Australia all over again except this time it's straight off the bat.

World's phucked! And these are college educated people.

Maybe if there were goats with bells and social media profiles describing how they are fire prevention officers there might be another tune..

Did the fires start in the forest or in the gorse bushes, because as farmers we can all be honest with our selves and say that if its gorse burning gone out of control it may well have been a farmer responsible. Cant imagine farmers starting forest fires though

anyway its a bad weekend for Kerry and anyone who enjoys a bit of nature

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

What’s the story now with burning a pile of bushes?

I have some furze bushes cut. Cut by hand, will be piled up by hand so no nests or hedgehogs or the likes in there...

Can I burn them?

I have some furze bushes cut. Cut by hand, will be piled up by hand so no nests or hedgehogs or the likes in there...

Can I burn them?

why you asking me? I'm not the department so I cant stop you or make you.

If you're asking would be ok with you doing it does it matter?

I only mention gorse because its a fact of life farmers burn gorse on hills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

why you asking me? I'm not the department so I cant stop you or make you.

If you're asking would be ok with you doing it does it matter?

I only mention gorse because its a fact of life farmers burn gorse on hills

Jesus calm down, I was only asking - I’ll take out the quote...

Anyone else have a more helpful answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

If it was me I would wait till bonfire night. Legally you are supposed to notify the local fire chief that you are having a controlled fire give the location and approx time of lighting. Then ring when its quenched.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Did the fires start in the forest or in the gorse bushes, because as farmers we can all be honest with our selves and say that if its gorse burning gone out of control it may well have been a farmer responsible. Cant imagine farmers starting forest fires though

anyway its a bad weekend for Kerry and anyone who enjoys a bit of nature

Doesn't matter now who started the fires in killarney now or elsewhere.
    The narrative has been spun that it's the result of not just grazing but overgrazing.

It's pyramaniacs but you can get pyramaniacs who happen to be farmers too. Doesn't say which comes first on their priorities though.

Coming out with the spin it's the result of overgrazing, is trying to play to the landless livestock hating crowd. A cheap shot.
    Taking the livestock off won't stop the pyramaniacs from getting their thrills.
    Probably won't stop the farmer bashing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭straight

Thats funny. Your man is like a dog over his ibc adapter. You can burn timber, organic material, (whatever you call it) whenever you like. I rang the council to notify them once and they didn't even know the procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Cionn80

Can I burn them?

I burned bushes Easter weekend. Just emailed the council with the dates and had to ring the regional fire brigade the morning I started and again when I was finished a couple of days later. I thought it would be hardship but in fairness they were both sound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

What grade oil for a MF699 power steering folks ??
    Saw elsewhere just to use super uni same as the engine, would that be the case ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭emaherx

_Brian wrote: »
    What grade oil for a MF699 power steering folks ??
    Saw elsewhere just to use super uni same as the engine, would that be the case ??

I believe it's meant to be ATF, but most people seem to use the super universal.

I think that might be the case Brian.
    Had a mf575 here years ago and I'm sure it was engine oil went in. It wasn't it's own special oil I know anyway.

For anyone going making silage this year John Kempf had an interesting podcast out in the last few days.
    He was talking to an Amish organic dairy farmer who milks completely off forage. No grains.
    He cuts his silage/haylage in the morning after it dries out and leaves it out the full width of the mower behind. No conditioner or crimper used.
    He maintains this way the grass still gets the Sun and photosynthesis away increasing the sugar content while using up it's own moisture. He then bales and wraps six hours after cutting and doesn't leave it on the ground overnight.
    He uses those wraps then in the winter then to milk the cows on without grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Don't know how to link the video but the amish get it done with the basic farm machinery. No need for 120hp tractors when only 6 hp does the job. Horse is king

jimini0 wrote: »
    Don't know how to link the video but the amish get it done with the basic farm machinery. No need for 120hp tractors when only 6 hp does the job. Horse is king

He had his head screwed on.
    He buys the winter forage from a company he set up on another farm of his that just grows the winter forage.
    This way then leaves the home farm to graze 90 cows on 90 acres and lets the company spend on all goody micronutrients for the winter forage.
    He allows it's simpler then as he doesn't need to buy extra horses for the work on the home farm, which he said are gone increasingly expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think that might be the case Brian.
    Had a mf575 here years ago and I'm sure it was engine oil went in. It wasn't it's own special oil I know anyway.

For anyone going making silage this year John Kempf had an interesting podcast out in the last few days.
    He was talking to an Amish organic dairy farmer who milks completely off forage. No grains.
    He cuts his silage/haylage in the morning after it dries out and leaves it out the full width of the mower behind. No conditioner or crimper used.
    He maintains this way the grass still gets the Sun and photosynthesis away increasing the sugar content while using up it's own moisture. He then bales and wraps six hours after cutting and doesn't leave it on the ground overnight.
    He uses those wraps then in the winter then to milk the cows on without grain.

I think the day temp would be in the mid 30s C. It would be haylage by evening.

Water John wrote: »
    I think the day temp would be in the mid 30s C. It would be haylage by evening.

He was actually calling it hay and John Kempf replied it's haylage when it's wrapped.
    I'd be thinking silage in that timeframe.
    But as you say they probably get that weather and being organic with no nitrogen applied it probably would be near hay by 5 or 6pm.
    Probably cut with a fingerbar mower out the full width.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Think of all the lovely alfalfa you could grow being organic in that part of the world. Amish from what I know live in Pennsylvania and some nearby states, so prime area for making elite forages. That has to translate to making great organic forages too. When you said no grain, do they do organic maize silage?

Gillespy wrote: »
    Think of all the lovely alfalfa you could grow being organic in that part of the world. Amish from what I know live in Pennsylvania and some nearby states, so prime area for making elite forages. That has to translate to making great organic forages too. When you said no grain, do they do organic maize silage?
    I think he said he was growing alfalfa for grazing and forage?
    Pretty sure there was no maize silage mentioned.

http://regenerativeagriculturepodcast.com/episode-68-alvin-peachey

:confused: DNA'ing dog **** in Leitrim and swabbing dogs mouths....... Bonkers.

It says 26/04/21 on my laptop not 01/04/21.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Gillespy wrote: »

Thought that said "think of all the lovely affairs you could have" and was expecting it to be related to the current restrictions or something. Christ its been a long day and weve a bit to go yet.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

jimini0 wrote: »

If diesel keeps going up in price I may borrow the neighbours Connemara stallion for the 2 long eared ladies here...

sorry I assumed you were being smart.

as others said inform the council and burn away

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Birdnuts wrote: »
    If diesel keeps going up in price I may borrow the neighbours Connemara stallion for the 2 long eared ladies here...

Ah do like the lad in Galway, hitch up the oxen, a good strong bullock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Anyone seeing reductions on insurance renewals over last year? Just paid for comp cover on 05 Defender with Aviva through broker. €515 last year.
    €460 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Anyone seeing reductions on insurance renewals over last year? Just paid for comp cover on 05 Defender with Aviva through broker. €515 last year.
    €460 this year.

Mine never went up, it's €500 for 12 hilux and trailer, comprehensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭minerleague

Read interesting article in examiner farming online about a study in holland that says if EU environment schemes continue to become more complex and expensive to join increasing no of farmers will avoid joining, thereby negating the intended benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

wrangler wrote: »
    Mine never went up, it's €500 for 12 hilux and trailer, comprehensive

Each of the cars down €20 on last year, renewed for May 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

€460 this year.

Car insurance renewal was up 25% when it came last December. Moved to Aviva and saved 10% over last years prices. Farm insurance same as last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Figerty

Read interesting article in examiner farming online about a study in holland that says if EU environment schemes continue to become more complex and expensive to join increasing no of farmers will avoid joining, thereby negating the intended benefits.

If the admin becomes more timeconsuming than the money it's worth, and the longterm restrictions tbey bring, then it's time to get out of those schemes.

Advertisement