Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

O'Leary had his best ever angus sale lately, Farmers obviously have more confidence going forward than factories, He bought 130acres here beside me last year, a neglected farm, I thought it was bad land but he has it ploughed now with a roadway up the middle of it and the land looks great if some a bit lowlying, all ploughed witha five furrow plough so can't be too bad.
    I'd say he bought it worth the money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

wrangler wrote: »
    O'Leary had his best ever angus sale lately, Farmers obviously have more confidence going forward than factories, He bought 130acres here beside me last year, a neglected farm, I thought it was bad land but he has it ploughed now with a roadway up the middle of it and the land looks great if some a bit lowlying, all ploughed witha five furrow plough so can't be too bad.
    You’ll have to watch, he could be coming for you next

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Anyone seeing reductions on insurance renewals over last year? Just paid for comp cover on 05 Defender with Aviva through broker. €515 last year.
    €460 this year.
    The house/farm/tractor renewal came in a last week and was the same price as last year. I phoned another insurance company giving the exact details/valuations as per the renewal notice and they are €270 cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Probably feeding a few sucks during lockdown.

Bohar CEO admits to misappropriation of funds. I wonder will the charity continue after this or have people lost trust.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/former-ceo-of-bothar-admits-to-misappropriation-of-charity-funds/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Tileman

Base price wrote: »
    Bohar CEO admits to misappropriation of funds. I wonder will the charity continue after this or have people lost trust.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/former-ceo-of-bothar-admits-to-misappropriation-of-charity-funds/

€700k now under investigation. Apparently he admitted his barn at his home was paid for by bothar.
    He has implicated another member also.
    Too many cases of this occurring in charity groups.
    Need greater auditing an external independent expertise on their boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Tileman wrote: »
    €700k now under investigation. Apparently he admitted his barn at his home was paid for by bothar.
    He has implicated another member also.
    Too many cases of this occurring in charity groups.
    Need greater auditing an external independent expertise on their boards.

Genuine question, who pays for the extra auditing, or even the current auditing? Government? If so they be better giveing their wages to the impoverished that the charity themselves are intending to help.

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Genuine question, who pays for the extra auditing, or even the current auditing? Government? If so they be better giveing their wages to the impoverished that the charity themselves are intending to help.
    I presume that Bohar have to produce annual audited accounts. I presume the current auditors are paid by Bohar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Anyone ever have ravens attacking sheep or cattle? I've a cow here that got her leg caught in the winterage about six weeks ago that is a bit done up after it and they have her plagued with the last few days. She's able to get up and walk around but as soon as she sits down there is a couple of them pecking at her. They pecked a hole in her hip bone and another one on her baren yesterday. Would Stockholm tar discourage them? I ordered a Larsen trap and a neighbour that does a good bit of hunting is keeping an eye out as well but he said its very hard to get close enough to them. Don't really want to put her into the shed, she's better off out in her current state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Anyone ever have ravens attacking sheep or cattle? I've a cow here that got her leg caught in the winterage about six weeks ago that is a bit done up after it and they have her plagued with the last few days. She's able to get up and walk around but as soon as she sits down there is a couple of them pecking at her. They pecked a hole in her hip bone and another one on her baren yesterday. Would Stockholm tar discourage them? I ordered a Larsen trap and a neighbour that does a good bit of hunting is keeping an eye out as well but he said its very hard to get close enough to them. Don't really want to put her into the shed, she's better off out in her current state.

Id a cow last summer that the crows kept at her tail. Ill plastered her with grease a few times a week. It worked not too bad. Still some sickener thou.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Stockholm tar should put an end to that(had issues in the past with Grey crows that way) - if the problem persists then contact the local NPWS ranger as Ravens are a protected species so only they can "remove" them

I presume that Bohar have to produce annual audited accounts. I presume the current auditors are paid by Bohar.

That makes sense alright.

Don't know if I ever noticed a raven about till few days ago when I'd a cow calved out in the field. The raven was walking about very brazen, trying to get a mixture of the calf and her blood I assume, (she hadn't cleaned at that stage) she would put the head down and go for him, he'd back off for a while, then come stepping up to her again.
    I was afraid he'd peck the calf before it got to its feet.
    Never seen as brazing a bird in all my time calveing outside.
    A few hours later I got the gun set up and fired a few warning shots, didn't see him after.
    I'm no help to your question but intrigued at this birds carry on, that I never seen before.

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Don't know if I ever noticed a raven about till few days ago when I'd a cow calved out in the field. The raven was walking about very brazen, trying to get a mixture of the calf and her blood I assume, (she hadn't cleaned at that stage) she would put the head down and go for him, he'd back off for a while, then come stepping up to her again.
    I was afraid he'd peck the calf before it got to its feet.
    Never seen as brazing a bird in all my time calveing outside.
    A few hours later I got the gun set up and fired a few warning shots, didn't see him after.
    I'm no help to your question but intrigued at this birds carry on, that I never seen before.

Their smart birds so had probably learnt that the likes of afterbirth could be had shortly after the cow calved.

OH is having a bad reaction to the vaccine last night and this morning.
    Stupidly she did a 40k spin last night so probably paying the price now.
    Frightened the life outa me this morning, eyes rolled in her head and she conked out.
    I was dialling 999 when she came too and wouldn't let it go any further

OH is having a bad reaction to the vaccine last night and this morning.
    Stupidly she did a 40k spin last night so probably paying the price now.
    Frightened the life outa me this morning, eyes rolled in her head and she conked out.
    I was dialling 999 when she came too and wouldn't let it go any further
    Hopefully she is ok. Can you encourage her to phone her GP.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Read interesting article in examiner farming online about a study in holland that says if EU environment schemes continue to become more complex and expensive to join increasing no of farmers will avoid joining, thereby negating the intended benefits.
    Have you a link to the article minerleague? Between glas, beep, beam, Icbf and bps my life is getting complicated enough. There’s a lot to be said for forestry, log on once a year and click a box, job done until it comes to trying to apply for a felling licence two years in advance. There’s a lot of money spent on admin with all these schemes too.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Have you a link to the article minerleague? Between glas, beep, beam, Icbf and bps my life is getting complicated enough. There’s a lot to be said for forestry, log on once a year and click a box, job done until it comes to trying to apply for a felling licence two years in advance. There’s a lot of money spent on admin with all these schemes too.

They need to be tailored on a regional and sectoral basis - all the broad brush schemes like REPS etc. have failed in their primary objectives. By far the most succesfull approaches have been the EU Life projects which were tailored to acheive aims within specific areas that provided farmers with sensible targets and measures that they themselves helped design . Example would include the Burren and new Hen Harrier projects

Hopefully she is ok. Can you encourage her to phone her GP.

I suggested that this morning and Midoc at 2 am but she wouldn't have any of it. her heart rate was about 120 at 2am and I didn't have to hold her wrist to feel that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I suggested that this morning and Midoc at 2 am but she wouldn't have any of it. her heart rate was about 120 at 2am and I didn't have to hold her wrist to feel that.

Which vaccine did she get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

That's sound very very serious, and also for other people who received vaccines from the same batch number. It just has to be reported, I'm not an expert but I doubt if it was as result of a 40 km spin.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Which vaccine did she get?

Astra zeneca, but I got the fast heartbeat at 2am with Pfizer, but it was all I had

That's sound very very serious, and also for other people who received vaccines from the same batch number. It just has to be reported, I'm not an expert but I doubt if it was as result of a 40 km spin.

You have to rest the body to give it a chance to deal with it all the same,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

After finding another cow stuck in a hole there now, getting bad run of it lately :(

After finding another cow stuck in a hole there now, getting bad run of it lately :(

Hope you can get her out. Can these holes be filled in, would be an ideal place for getting rid of rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Have had 1 magpie following me around for a couple of weeks. Crap run of luck. Yesterday morning I saw 2 magpies first thing. Hopefully things will improve. Speaking to other farmers they are having a bad run too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

You have to rest the body to give it a chance to deal with it all the same,

How’s your OH now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Odelay

Have some people nothing better to do than look for things to be offended by??

• Advertisement

How’s your OH now?

She collapsed again an hour ago, was only out for a short while, I phoned her GP, they said she was dehydrated, take dioralytes and stay lying down
    Asleep now, she didn't sleep last night, temperature seems to be gone down

Advertisement