Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭green daries

Birdnuts wrote: »
    The pension issue is a bit of a ponzy scheme - if China were to go down that route they would need to increase their population alone to nearly 4 billion. At the end of the day we live on a finite planet that is already getting a good kicking from us in terms of pollution, overfishing, loss of biodiversity etc. If you do the sums it costs at least 100k to get a kid true to Uni, and then theres the cost to the state in terms of child allowance, free health care etc. If that money was kept in a pension pot it would go along way to dealing with the issue.

Yup a good point and it's another way of looking at it.
    But its not my point that I was trying to get across.
    Re pollution and affecting change on a world scale Ireland is pissing against the wind if they think chasing dirty ag is going to help there in dreamland cut out all the unnecessary expenditure on the throwaway economy the2 holidays abroad three cars to most holidays
    The list is endless I really
    I really do think people would go hungry before they would think about giving up stuff

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

blue5000 wrote: »

Think they said an inch of rain over weekend But it's not gonna get any warmer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

wrangler wrote: »

I think we’ll still take the rain...

How is your nephew that injured the hand getting on Wrangler? Is it coming good?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Well, whether it is or not - returning to forcing women to give up work when they get married, or get pregnant is hardly the answer...

Do you mind if I ask if you have kids yourself GN? You hardly do I pose, given the over population issue... ;)

I wasn’t advocating that women be forced to give up work .
    And yes I do mind !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Fair play good idea you'll be the first to volunteer a 50 percent reduction in your pension as the state won't have the money to pay for it.

Anyway it's not the point I was trying to make.
    gender inequality is engrained in society was the point but sure it takes alsorts

So we should keep increasing world population to pay the pensions of the relatively well off ?
    If we are to listen to some of the climate change activists , animal agriculture is ruining the planet but no one ever mentions the impact of each additional million humans who will be around for a lot longer than most animals

• Registered Users Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Yea was looking at the charts and wind direction earlier on.
    Basically cool with low pressure till the 10/11th.
    Could be a rehash next weekend with a nasty low Saturday Sunday.

Unusual little ice age of a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Here's a drain, with some water flowing. A few hundred meters up the field this pipe starts and has lots of 3" joined in. Now, there is one spot that is wet, even though it's ground level is higher than the river it flows into.
    2021-05-01-15-39-10.jpg
    What is all that orange stuff? Iron I think but set me straight. Is that having an impact on the ability to drain the field further back?

GNWoodd wrote: »
    So we should keep increasing world population to pay the pensions of the relatively well off ?
    If we are to listen to some of the climate change activists , animal agriculture is ruining the planet but no one ever mentions the impact of each additional million humans who will be around for a lot longer than most animals

Read my posts properly and come back to me if you still want to argue your agenda not what I said....
    I do agree that somebody has pulled the best look over there polluting animals trick EVER

Here's a drain, with some water flowing. A few hundred meters up the field this pipe starts and has lots of 3" joined in. Now, there is one spot that is wet, even though it's ground level is higher than the river it flows into.
    2021-05-01-15-39-10.jpg
    What is all that orange stuff? Iron I think but set me straight. Is that having an impact on the ability to drain the field further back?

Ya I'd agree with you looks like iron see it round here occasionally but not as bad as that you might have to re tap that spot with a shingle drain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

2021-05-01-15-39-10.jpg

Yeah it’s iron. Clogs everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭emaherx

blue5000 wrote: »

Yes, could do with some here, but any chance you could have them warm it up a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

After dealing with the new polish mechanic and he saying it would cost way too much to sort my 2007 Auris, I put it through the test. It failed and brought the list to a mechanic in a neighbouring parish. €320 to get it past the test.
    So the drive for 500k km is on for another year anyway. 61k km left.
    Delighted.

What engine is in that lady?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

2021-05-01-15-39-10.jpg

Reminds me I must check the little one's nappy.

It's an iron oxide,, iron something anyway.
    It could in time. A lot of sludge comes with it.

It may wash clean, after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There is pressure washer system for cleaning those clogged drainage pipes. Think it's originally from the Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Water John wrote: »
    There is pressure washer system for cleaning those clogged drainage pipes. Think it's originally from the Netherlands.

Used a head on a powerwasher recentky for cleaning 12 inch pipe i reckon on a small pipe it would nearly drive itself up as it shoots the water back down the pipe as it moves along. Had to have it cleaned to .25 of ananometer or so we were told anyway.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭148multi

emaherx wrote: »
    Yes, could do with some here, but any chance you could have them warm it up a bit?

Was on another site yesterday, talk of the full month of May. cool

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Suckler wrote: »

Was looking at it but would it push the calves away rather than bring closer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Water John wrote: »

Boys used to use the collapsable piping on a slurry tank to blast water up a shoreing pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

https://www.facebook.com/137576076262825/posts/4200178093335916/

Havent read the article yet but have read the comments, ignorance is bliss and far worse than i thought it was.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement

148multi wrote: »
    Was on another site yesterday, talk of the full month of May. cool

There's nobody on the planet can say for certain what the full month of May will hold.
    All anyone can do is compare the charts.
    Most of them finish around the 11th showing the possibility of high pressure coming back with a southwesterly air flow. The gfs goes further than the 11th and shows that warm southerly flow with hp firmly centered over us giving summer weather.
    But it's all too far out anyway, charts chop and change in that timeframe . But if what they're showing comes it's not a complete cool month of May.

https://www.facebook.com/137576076262825/posts/4200178093335916/

Havent read the article yet but have read the comments, ignorance is bliss and far worse than i thought it was.

It's what farmers have been calling for for years though.
    Every year here there's bits of ground deliberately taken off my maps by the dept. It's all farmland but it's to deliberately reduce my land I can claim entitlements on. It pushes up my stocking rate then.
    It's this continuous nit picking of a metre here and there.
    The cows cross a field here and make their own cow track. My advisor is always going on are you sure that's not a roadway.
    Any little bush, corner, even a shadow from a shed the dept always are looking to cut your land area.

The other side of it a farmer bought bogs down below my land here recently. Diggers working in it for the last few days.
    Land was rough. Rushes, trees, white grass. Since the diggers went in.
    There's snipe coming into the surrounding fields and they don't know where to go.
    Big bonfires today of the trees and growth with straw bales and tyres starting them.
    Well that's not right either.

There nearly needs to be stay on land that shouldn't be allowed cleared now.
    The farmer in question wouldn't really need the land to make a living but they had the money to buy and cest la vie.I don't begrudge them but wish them luck. I'd never object myself but there does seem to be a theme across the country of large farmers never knowing when to stop buying land and having every bush and tree and maybe ditches levelled.
    And for what?
    Another 20k earning potential in the bank every year when there's already possibly over 200k coming in.
    When is enough, enough?

The thing is these actions don't go unnoticed by the non farmers either.
    The dept rules were brought in by the old school such as the large farmers clearing every nook and cranny to keep the cogs of produce flowing to the factories. That's all they knew.

The above and the author of the above recognizes there needs to be a shift in thinking and rules if we're to ensure the farmland and wildlife we all grew up with has some chance of continuing for the next generation to see and appreciate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Every year here there's bits of ground deliberately taken off my maps by the dept. It's all farmland but it's to deliberately reduce my land I can claim entitlements on. It pushes up my stocking rate then.
    The cows cross a field here and make their own cow track. My advisor is always going on are you sure that's not a roadway.
    Any little bush, corner, even a shadow from a shed the dept always are looking to cut your land area.

The other side of it a farmer bought bogs down below my land here recently. Diggers working in it for the last few days.
    There's snipe coming into the surrounding fields and they don't know where to go.
    Big bonfires today of the trees and growth with straw bales and tyres starting them.

The farmer in question wouldn't really need the land to make a living but they had the money to buy and cest la vie.I don't begrudge them but wish them luck. I'd never object myself but there does seem to be a theme across the country of large farmers never knowing when to stop buying land and having every bush and tree and maybe ditches levelled.
    And for what?
    Another 20k earning potential in the bank every year when there's already possibly over 200k coming in.
    When is enough, enough?

The dept rules were brought in by the old school such as the large farmers clearing every nook and cranny to keep the cogs of produce flowing to the factories. That's all they knew.

The above and the author of the above recognizes there needs to be a shift in thinking and rules if we're to ensure the farmland and wildlife we all grew up with has some chance of continuing for the next generation to see and appreciate.

DAFM have been told for years that these rules make no sense and are highly destructive - yet they continue to push them harder every year:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

I would agree with much of what you say there, s m n, the use of diggers is being abused by some nowadays under the guise of progress.

A former wind farm developer in our area has done similar to your guy there, bought land completely over grown & undoubtedly a habitat & sanctuary,now returned to pastures.

When's you've money,you can still do what you like it seems. (Oh i forgot & ignorance too)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Was looking at it but would it push the calves away rather than bring closer

The idea is good, I've seen similar in Europe but they were bolted to the wall.
    Instead of going left to right, they swung up and down. they folded nicely against the wall when not in use and swung out and propped to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭Suckler

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Suckler wrote: »
    Be some beef farmer that could build a holiday home on the out farm for the summer grazing haha.
    Can you imagine sending a daughter out for the summer with who knows what coming out on the hill "visiting"!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

The idea is good, I've seen similar in Europe but they were bolted to the wall.
    Instead of going left to right, they swung up and down. they folded nicely against the wall when not in use and swung out and propped to use.

Thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

ruwithme wrote: »
    I would agree with much of what you say there, s m n, the use of diggers is being abused by some nowadays under the guise of progress.

A former wind farm developer in our area has done similar to your guy there, bought land completely over grown & undoubtedly a habitat & sanctuary,now returned to pastures.

When's you've money,you can still do what you like it seems. (Oh i forgot & ignorance too)

Ah feck it lads...

Let’s be realistic too... how many of us have bigger fields cos ditches were knocked in the last 40 years...
    How many of us have asked the hedge cutter lad to give a good decent cut...
    How many of us have sprayed undesirable plants to rid them from the sward, even though other species might depend on them...

It’s all well and good to be giving out about a lad doing big work clearing scrub and the likes, but then do we turn a blind eye to the death by a thousand cuts we practice on biodiversity inside the farm gate... ?

Not saying I am any better than most...

Just it’s easy to point fingers and not see our own failings...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

And for what?
    When is enough, enough?

You must be closer to the uncles place than thought or else there's plenty of lads who dont like their neighbours :D. He was going to bunclody yesterday and said you'd have to dislike someone to have left the fire going through the village all day like they did.

Advertisement