Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

Ah feck it lads...

Let’s be realistic too... how many of us have bigger fields cos ditches were knocked in the last 40 years...
    How many of us have asked the hedge cutter lad to give a good decent cut...
    How many of us have sprayed undesirable plants to rid them from the sward, even though other species might depend on them...

It’s all well and good to be giving out about a lad doing big work clearing scrub and the likes, but then do we turn a blind eye to the death by a thousand cuts we practice on biodiversity inside the farm gate... ?

Not saying I am any better than most...

Just it’s easy to point fingers and not see our own failings...

Shifting baseline is in fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Ah feck it lads...

Let’s be realistic too... how many of us have bigger fields cos ditches were knocked in the last 40 years...
    How many of us have asked the hedge cutter lad to give a good decent cut...
    How many of us have sprayed undesirable plants to rid them from the sward, even though other species might depend on them...

It’s all well and good to be giving out about a lad doing big work clearing scrub and the likes, but then do we turn a blind eye to the death by a thousand cuts we practice on biodiversity inside the farm gate... ?

Not saying I am any better than most...

Just it’s easy to point fingers and not see our own failings...
    Practice what you preach is a good mantra.

If your practice happens to have grown out hedges, spear thistles growing under the wires feeding pollinators and birds, nettle bunches in most fields, dung pats just lucky to have life when all your neighbours are on full out dosing regimes intent on wiping out your last vestiges of being minimal dosing, ivy on trees feeding pollinators through the early winter and you witness the above from a farmer doing the complete opposite and moving on to the next piece of ground.
    Yea well then you can have a say.. :p

The whole system is messed up. Farmers are getting rewarded for doing the wrong things atm.
    The big guy that'd nearly drink glyphosate and pour ons keeps going bigger and larger bps while the smaller guy that says hang on wtf are ye all doing you're phucking up the planet gets bought out by the big guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

You must be closer to the uncles place than thought or else there's plenty of lads who dont like their neighbours :D. He was going to bunclody yesterday and said you'd have to dislike someone to have left the fire going through the village all day like they did.

Ah I'm a bit cranky..!

The whole place still smells of smoke today. House smells of smoke, parlour smells of smoke, dairy smells of smoke.

And worse some of the villagers thought it was me doing it. And if it was I'd probably have the brigade call on me.

Ah I do wish them luck with the land. But janey sometimes..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

We’re thinking of getting 1/2 a heifer
    Butcher has asked what way we want the cuts
    Roasts, stew meat, mince (burgers) & steaks (all types)
    Is there any cut we’re missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Have you any oriental friends?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Ran a half marathon this morning around the local roads. Fair banjaxed after it. Longest run in 18 months. Could be an evening for the couch and watch the snooker

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Ran a half marathon this morning around the local roads. Fair banjaxed after it. Longest run in 18 months. Could be an evening for the couch and watch the snooker

Half marathon......what's the hell is wrong with you man

Reggie. wrote: »
    Half marathon......what's the hell is wrong with you man

Very tired legs, sleepy eyes, urine very yellow and the milk is sour

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭emaherx

Retired the old Defender 2 weeks ago after 16 years of abuse. It's gone to a better place.....

Seen it yesterday with it's new owner, resprayed and sparkling it genuinely has gone to a better place :D.

Wonder will my new (to me) D-max last as long.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

emaherx wrote: »
    Retired the old Defender 2 weeks ago after 16 years of abuse. It's gone to a better place.....

Seen it yesterday with it's new owner, resprayed and sparkling.

Wonder will my new (to me) D-max last as long.

What D-max did you buy out of interest? The models from about 2012 onwards have become popular with lad's locally in the last few years. The older models were never in abundance around here although they seemed a good jeep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Mothers months memory mass today. Weather was good so we were around the grave listening to it on a phone. Strange times indeed.

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Have you any oriental friends?
    No
    Just a hungry family

_Brian wrote: »
    Mothers months memory mass today. Weather was good so we were around the grave listening to it on a phone. Strange times indeed.

Very strange times Brian. How are the little ones holding up?

What D-max did you buy out of interest? The models from about 2012 onwards have become popular with lad's locally in the last few years. The older models were never in abundance around here although they seemed a good jeep.

It's an 08 3.0L crew cab. Only changed because I've 3 little ones wanting to come farming now. Crew cab Defenders have gone stupid money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

It's an 08 3.0L crew cab. Only changed because I've 3 little ones wanting to come farming now. Crew cab Defenders have gone stupid money.

They seemed a reliable workhorse although they weren't that popular locally. The few examples I'd know of did lot's of work with owners that weren't mechanically sympathetic. There's a lot of the newer 2.5 litre model's appearing in the last year or 2, I see a few of the local garage men advertising them strongly in the fresh second hand market. Brexit might put a damper on them because the majority would have been imported.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Very strange times Brian. How are the little ones holding up?

They’re doing grand thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Fair play. I was supposed to do 33km today but only did 25km. Distance is a bit high for me at moment with work load.

If your butcher will do it any cuts, would you get meatballs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Fair play. I was supposed to do 33km today but only did 25km. Distance is a bit high for me at moment with work load.

Any tips for getting started at it, i just seem to have a mental block at it in this country, awful hard get into it without a few others getting into it as well.

Better living everyone

Any tips for getting started at it, i just seem to have a mental block at it in this country, awful hard get into it without a few others getting into it as well.

Download a couch to 5km/10km.

When I hit the 10km I downloaded MapMyRun. I pay the €70 a year to create plans and then pick what suits.

Oh is going back to work soon and to mind the legs, I’ve decided to downgrade from a marathon to a faster half marathon. So it will be another 10week plan but will knock a bit off the time.

Pace is another thing. If you can run a 10km at a certain pace, slow slightly and you’d be amazed how far you would run.

• Advertisement

Buy runners and go for a run. It's easy! Don't go balls out no matter the urge. Go fierce handy. Go one day, take a couple days off and go again. Rinse and repeat. Give yourself 5/6 weeks at that. Then try go a little further, or go the usual distance a little faster. It takes time to build up to longer distances. Ya need miles in the legs.

Best of luck with it. And remember, just go. The hardest part is starting off and getting the head in the mood to go for a run!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

_Brian wrote: »

Lost my mother 5 weeks ago after a cancer battle, surreal times. Still can't believe she's actually gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,552 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Lost my mother 5 weeks ago after a cancer battle, surreal times. Still can't believe she's actually gone.

Sorry for your loss, covid times make it even harder. Look after yourself

Buy runners and go for a run. It's easy! Don't go balls out no matter the urge. Go fierce handy. Go one day, take a couple days off and go again. Rinse and repeat. Give yourself 5/6 weeks at that. Then try go a little further, or go the usual distance a little faster. It takes time to build up to longer distances. Ya need miles in the legs.

Best of luck with it. And remember, just go. The hardest part is starting off and getting the head in the mood to go for a run!

Good runners is the key and replace regularly.

Liverpool Manchester United game postponed. The police knew all week there was going to be protests....

If your butcher will do it any cuts, would you get meatballs?

Good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

You won't go wrong by taking a look at some of the plans by Hal Higdon.
    https://www.halhigdon.com/training/
    Pick a plan that suits where you are now and what you want to train for, and stick to it.
    He has lots of plans on his site , you can access them free.
    The Novice Base Training programme might be a good introduction.
    https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/base-training/novice-base-training/

If you do that as per plan you'll be in a great place to start training for a half marathon or maybe even the big one!

Edit. Ignore the lark about joining up or subscription. His plan is there if you scroll down. Just follow it.

Edit 2. The good news is tomorrow is a rest day , you don't have to start till Tues:D

Good runners is the key and replace regularly.

When the eldest lad started running he was wearing gazelles, he might as well have been wearing sandals. He would bring his phone in hand. First night in running club he came home he needed new runners and a running watch. Good runners are a must

whelan2 wrote: »
    When the eldest lad started running he was wearing gazelles, he might as well have been wearing sandals. He would bring his phone in hand. First night in running club he came home he needed new runners and a running watch. Good runners are a must

I still carry the phone in the hand. My wife has bought an arm strap but I didn’t like it.

ASICS are the only ones I use. During the lockdown ONeills.com had the best value and would be delivered within two days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Sorry for your loss, lost my mom (who was the farmer in our house) 7 years ago after 18 months with cancer and it still hits me at times, especially when certain cows calf or other things that would be going on around the place. Take care of yourself farmersfriend, it gets more manageable after a while.

Advertisement