Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭148multi

Odelay wrote: »
    Could they throw down some chicken/sheep wire with stones/blocks on it over the bits they are digging? Maybe they will then feck off to somewhere easier to continue digging?

Mr badger isn't that easy to divert, yes they are protected, but dose anyone notice.
    Now if they had tb the dept might trap them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

whelan2 wrote: »
    If someone had a badger coming into their garden digging up holes how can they get rid of it. They would be against the lead solution. They rang the dept of ag who were useless. Also aee thry a protected species?

With the Zoo re-opened you could get your hands on a bag of Lion Dung - will put the skids under them;)

Apparently there's a Chinese rocket in a decaying orbit that's going to hit somewhere on earth over the weekend.

And I see posts out on the internet worrying about snow falling from the sky in May? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

We had an old schoolhouse in Sligo booked for our anniversary- because we check in on June 1st, they had to cancel our booking. But managed to get a place near Dublin instead so we will hopefully go to the Zoo for the lads. I’ll see will they send you some lion dung Whelan.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Someone suggested men's wee around the perimeter of the garden. Good job it's not a big garden :D

This apparently works for foxes so it’s worth a try.
    Human hair too so save your shavings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Am dealing with auctioneers at the moment trying to buy a house. Jesus they are hard work. Surely when you are the highest bidder they have to come back to you when they receive another offer.

Had the “pleasure” of dealing with that tractor breakers outside Kells
    Last time I was there I said “never again”, yet I did and I’m again saying “never ever again”

The staff are grand to deal with, he himself is an ignorant arrogant individual. I was only there for 20 minutes waiting to be served and getting out, but to hear the way he speaks about customers is unreal, and he doesn’t care who hears.
    Lady on the desk was juggling two phones and dealing with the lads up the yard sourcing parts for customers. He comes out picks up the receiver and slams it down, he wasn’t dealing with the customer and knew nothing about them. The lady scolded him for hanging up. “Fcuk them the fcuking cnuts, they can ring back” he roared and then laughed because he realised eight of us in the shop we’re stunned.

He cherry picked friends in the queue to serve them out of turn.

One chap paying by card had to shout out the pin of his card three times and when questioned saying not out loud there was wave of arm at rest of us “these lads don’t care about your number”

Part I was getting, I asked him how much, €80 or €90, grand I said. He came back after 10 minutes with it and said how much did I say?, €80 or €90 I said, but surely it’s €80, “fcuk off, it’s €90 - do you want it”

I’ll deal elsewhere in future. He’s not a nice individual and doesn’t appreciate customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

_Brian wrote: »
    Last time I was there I said “never again”, yet I did and I’m again saying “never ever again”

The staff are grand to deal with, he himself is an ignorant arrogant individual. I was only there for 20 minutes waiting to be served and getting out, but to hear the way he speaks about customers is unreal, and he doesn’t care who hears.
    Lady on the desk was juggling two phones and dealing with the lads up the yard sourcing parts for customers. He comes out picks up the receiver and slams it down, he wasn’t dealing with the customer and knew nothing about them. The lady scolded him for hanging up. “Fcuk them the fcuking cnuts, they can ring back” he roared and then laughed because he realised eight of us in the shop we’re stunned.

One chap paying by card had to shout out the pin of his card three times and when questioned saying not out loud there was wave of arm at rest of us “these lads don’t care about your number”

Part I was getting, I asked him how much, €80 or €90, grand I said. He came back after 10 minutes with it and said how much did I say?, €80 or €90 I said, but surely it’s €80, “fcuk off, it’s €90 - do you want it”

I’ll deal elsewhere in future. He’s not a nice individual and doesn’t appreciate customers.

Very similar experience here. There is a breed of ignorance out there that can only be found in scrapyard and breakers.

I notice a fela on youtube doing up a 20 reckons hes a great fella altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Kevhog1988 wrote: »

That guy on YouTube deleted my post and blocked me cos I recommend a better and cheaper product than one he was pushing.

(Nothing to do with the individual being discussed here.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

He's be one of his "friends"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Am dealing with auctioneers at the moment trying to buy a house. Jesus they are hard work. Surely when you are the highest bidder they have to come back to you when they receive another offer.

Your problem is trying to think like an auctioneer! The ones I deal with the odd time are unbelievable aswell

Sister works in lending and mortgage stuff. She has been saying for years there is too much cash flowing under the table for things to be transparent or fair. You can be sure unscrupulous auctioneers are getting a slice of that action.

Sister works in lending and mortgage stuff. She has been saying for years there is too much cash flowing under the table for things to be transparent or fair. You can be sure unscrupulous auctioneers are getting a slice of that action.

Bought land at home previously and the auctioneer rang me to say the seller wouldnt sign unless they got 3k cash as well as the agreed price. Nearly fell out of my standing when he said it

Bought land at home previously and the auctioneer rang me to say the seller wouldnt sign unless they got 3k cash as well as the agreed price. Nearly fell out of my standing when he said it

Got a similar text yesterday :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Anyone else seeing issues with email notifications of messages, but no messages there when you check?

Its like you get a notification of a message a few times or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,553 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Got a similar text yesterday :rolleyes:

You should reply and say is 3k enough

You should reply and say is 3k enough

I'm hoping what I'm being asked for won't be 3k :eek: Had agreed a price on a few acres and it's been bumped up by other methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I'm hoping what I'm being asked for won't be 3k :eek: Had agreed a price on a few acres and it's been bumped up by other methods.

Bad form to agree on a price, and then come back asking for more...

Bad form to agree on a price, and then come back asking for more...

Tis, but what can ya do. The options are few :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I had a dream last night that a polar bear miraculously appeared on the small lake that shores some of our land. This was no ordinary polar bear - he was clever enough to bring his own iceberg to cool down. The rest of the dream was us panicking trying to extend the fence posts so we could run more strands of electric fence wire to keep him out.

I woke up at six this morning, drew back the curtains, looked down at the lake and smiled to myself. I went outside to check on one of the cull cows that had sprung up like a balloon yesterday and she wasn't in good shape. She was lying down with her head in the hedge and no sign of a calf. I gave her a bottle of calcium and magnesium under the skin and OH phoned the Vet. A young Vet arrived within the hour and OH and I both looked uncertainly at one another. We couldn't have been more mistaken with this young Vet, he was super. He examined the cow, confirmed it was milk fever and jacked out a live angus heifer calf. He then went about treating the cow and IMO did all that he could do and more. 15 minutes after he left the cow was up allbeit a bit wobbly but we got the calf sucked. I phoned the practice to ask them to let him know cause he was genuinely interested on how she progressed. She is currently in a small paddock with the calf and she grazed a little on and off this afternoon. Hopefully she will continue to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

One of the most innovative farmers in this country.
    You'd really have to be in awe and have great respect for what the Tierney's are doing in Tipperary.

Never met the man. Well I might have maybe but I'd have a little contact on social media with him but everything you hear about their farming operation would make you glad to be witnessing one of the greatest innovators in Irish agriculture in our generation.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/massive-drops-in-nitrogen-and-fungicide-use-on-this-tipperary-farm-618836

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Looking to pick up a 12T trailer axle and singles, for a self build, any ideas please?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

One of the most innovative farmers in this country.
    You'd really have to be in awe and have great respect for what the Tierney's are doing in Tipperary.

Never met the man. Well I might have maybe but I'd have a little contact on social media with him but everything you hear about their farming operation would make you glad to be witnessing one of the greatest innovators in Irish agriculture in our generation.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/massive-drops-in-nitrogen-and-fungicide-use-on-this-tipperary-farm-618836

Ifr he's at it since 2012 and it hasn't been picked up by good farmers there can't be a lot in it.
    Sounds like snake oil to me

Base price wrote: »
    I had a dream last night that a polar bear miraculously appeared on the small lake that shores some of our land. .

Well if that Walrus could make it to Kerry..............;)

wrangler wrote: »
    Ifr he's at it since 2012 and it hasn't been picked up by good farmers there can't be a lot in it.

Maybe u should read up on it?? in any case when the high input model has been drilled into farmers heads for the last 40 years by Teagasc and DAFM things aren't going to change overnight are they??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

The only thing very out of the norm there is no 12m horsch avatar, how much playing with bio-stimulants he does and not preaching of being a superior being amoungst mortals for being a no til farmer.

He's picking it up from the best regenerative farmers on social media worldwide.
    There's numerous books on this way of farming too.
    He is getting results. Other farmers too.

He'd probably say it and I'd say it too, the greatest snake oil peddled has resulted in plants resistant to weedkiller, aphids resistant to insecticide, bydv rampant in crops.

If you went on the livestock side. It's stock with no resistance to parasites, declaring summer scour a syndrome in dairy bred calves, stock continually in the same herds getting milk fever or grass tetany and blaming it on the weather.

All caused by the farmers management from year to year. And all from advice given by advisers to farmers peddling their wares.

There really was been some shocking advice given to farmers and continues to be given by salespeople with letters in front or behind their name.
    In the last forty years or less, more damage has been done to agriculture than nature in a thousand years could ever achieve.

You really should look up regenerative agriculture Wrangler.
    Growing a Revolution by David R Montgomery is a nice easy read to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

He's picking it up from the best regenerative farmers on social media worldwide.
    There's numerous books on this way of farming too.
    He is getting results. Other farmers too.

He'd probably say it and I'd say it too, the greatest snake oil peddled has resulted in plants resistant to weedkiller, aphids resistant to insecticide, bydv rampant in crops.

If you went on the livestock side. It's stock with no resistance to parasites, declaring summer scour a syndrome in dairy bred calves, stock continually in the same herds getting milk fever or grass tetany and blaming it on the weather.

All caused by the farmers management from year to year. And all from advice given by advisers to farmers peddling their wares.

There really was been some shocking advice given to farmers and continues to be given by salespeople with letters in front or behind their name.
    In the last forty years or less, more damage has been done to agriculture than nature in a thousand years could ever achieve.

You really should look up regenerative agriculture Wrangler.
    Growing a Revolution by David R Montgomery is a nice easy read to start.

To me you sound like a vegan, preaching the gospel

• Advertisement

To me you sound like a vegan, preaching the gospel

If you try some of it and understand it you will see the merit.

None of this has been taught in ag colleges or green cert courses.
    Seriously buy the book and read it with an open mind. Nicole Masters - For the love of Soil. Is another good one.
    Dirt to Soil comes highly recommended too but haven't read it.

It'd be a nice bit of relaxation than hearing about Beefplan.

Advertisement