Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If you try some of it and understand it you will see the merit.

None of this has been taught in ag colleges or green cert courses.
    Seriously buy the book and read it with an open mind. Nicole Masters - For the love of Soil. Is another good one.
    Dirt to Soil comes highly recommended too but haven't read it.

It'd be a nice bit of relaxation than hearing about Beefplan.

You're a lot more fanatical about this than I ever was about beef Plan and there's a lot more agreeing with me now about them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Gillespy

The information is out there. Man up and find it to you sound like a vegan in a few minutes is one hell of a 180.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

wrangler wrote: »
    You're a lot more fanatical about this than I ever was about beef Plan and there's a lot more agreeing with me now about them

Ah now you're fairly on the top tier on the subject. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Odelay

Any good deals on handbags?

Odelay wrote: »
    Any good deals on handbags?

All gone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Well if that Walrus could make it to Kerry..............;)
    :D:D

Ah now you're fairly on the top tier on the subject. :)

There's not much scientific proof for what you're at,, it's the way you criticise anything different to what you do, that makes you fair game for criticism yourself.
    Everyones system is different and if it ticks along it's none of anyone elses business. I wouldn't change anything I do, You do what you like on your land but don't be thinking it's euthopia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/12438352

Just have a look at the pictures comparing the neighbouring farms to the regenerative farms at least.

Better living everyone

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/12438352

Just have a look at the pictures comparing the neighbouring farms to the regenerative farms at least.

My farm looked grand too while I was farming it, it looks great now
    We're farmers, Plenty of area not being farmed if you're worried about wildlife.
    It's not the strongest species that survive but the ones with the ability to adapt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Water John wrote: »
    Looking to pick up a 12T trailer axle and singles, for a self build, any ideas please?
    Would truck axles do? I presume any commercial breakers yard would have them although most of them nowdays are on air suspension. I presume you want leaf springs which shouldn't difficult to source on older vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Ifr he's at it since 2012 and it hasn't been picked up by good farmers there can't be a lot in it.
    Sounds like snake oil to me

Hundreds of very good farmers are investing their time and money and gradually changing to such methods and practices, inspired by and inspiring people like Tom, quietly doing their own research.
    It's the bad farmers that aren't in tune or have their heads on the sand.
    You might be hanging around with the wrong crowd?

There's not much scientific proof for what you're at,, it's the way you criticise anything different to what you do, that makes you fair game for criticism yourself.
    Everyones system is different and if it ticks along it's none of anyone elses business. I wouldn't change anything I do, You do what you like on your land but don't be thinking it's euthopia
    That euthanasia system is a dead end...

Hundreds of very good farmers are investing their time and money and gradually changing to such methods and practices, inspired by and inspiring people like Tom, quietly doing their own research.
    It's the bad farmers that aren't in tune or have their heads on the sand.
    You might be hanging around with the wrong crowd?

And it's a sad farmer that refers to bad farmer just because they don't do this snake oil faming..... complete scam

Can we not get the vegans back here, at least there's some reality to them

And it's a sad farmer that refers to bad farmer just because they don't do this snake oil faming..... complete scam

Jeez Wrangler you wouldn't happen to be related to a tractor breakers from near Kells? :p

Jeez Wrangler you wouldn't happen to be related to a tractor breakers from near Kells? :p

Pot and kettle comes to mind.

We've an unusual climate here that gives special snake oil rain, I've a five thousand litres of the stuff and will sell it to you for €1 /litre.

I honestly thought you were bluffing when you started this,

We've an unusual climate here that gives special snake oil rain, I've a five thousand litres of the stuff and will sell it to you for €1 /litre.

Ah wrangler. You've your own posting style. Don't forget you're the one that brought good and bad farmers into this.
    And then it got tumbled around back and forth and you post to get reaction by calling things names you don't understand.

All I did was call the farmer featured an exemplary example of what we should all be looking to follow.
    Reduced fertilizer, reduced sprays, bringing biological inputs into the system, improving soil health and carbon sequestration.

You responded by calling it snake oil. Purely because it's alien to you. That 'good' farmers are not taking this up.
    I think mostly what grates with you is we've polar opposite ideals of what we think of a 'good' farmer.

With the changing landscape and changing rules and regulations down the line maybe you should give those books a read.
    Just to understand.

There was a time when making bread and wine was considered magic, education will help reduce the fear and paranoia.

Ifr he's at it since 2012 and it hasn't been picked up by good farmers there can't be a lot in it.
    Sounds like snake oil to me

What you are experiencing is "That won't work here!" syndrome, do not be concerned, this is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I wonder if you went back in time, and asked a young Wrangler that in time he would be looking at a lambs ****e with a powerful magnifying glass, to see if they needed dosing - what would he say to you? ;)

Yet, there ye are now, leading the charge in fecal testing...

Things are being discovered all the time. People trying new things... New ways of doing things...
    Some work, some dont. But like everything, it takes while both to find what works and for new practices to be adopted / accepted...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Odelay

At one time they thought the earth was flat..but the with a little education many have been converted...

• Advertisement

Actually rainwater is much better than groundwater for spraying crops, it's much easier to control the pH without having to use buffering agents, and that's agro-chemical practice, but you knew that you sly old dog ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I suppose Nigel Renaghan shouldn't be on the IFA National Executive either?
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/organic-farming-scheme-is-the-juice-worth-the-squeeze/

Wonder where he got that lovely term 'pilgrim farmers' from? Those of us on the longer road.

Water John wrote: »
    I suppose Nigel Renaghan shouldn't be on the IFA National Executive either?
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/organic-farming-scheme-is-the-juice-worth-the-squeeze/

Wonder where he got that lovely term 'pilgrim farmers' from? Those of us on the longer road.

why do you say that, he's a good guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

Anyone price green diesel this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,553 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Grueller wrote: »

:rolleyes: no but my dad filled his jeep with petrol a week or so ago. Didn't get far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

whelan2 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: no but my dad filled his jeep with petrol a week or so ago. Didn't get far

How’s the engine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭straight

Grueller wrote: »

Nope but I heard some farming bashing earlier from the echo chamber podcast from some guy that wants to shut down farming and plant the whole country. It would be a great amenity he thought. Ammonia is a major public health concern. Also he couldn't understand how green diesel was called green because its far from it. Small bit of information is a very dangerous thing.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly90b3J0b2lzZXNoYWNrLmllL2ZlZWQvZWNob2NoYW1iZXIv/episode/aHR0cHM6Ly90b3J0b2lzZXNoYWNrLmllLz9wPTkzODg?ep=14

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

How’s the engine

Clean as a whistle. I did it too last summer, luckily enough when I went to pay for it they told me, so it was a simple enough job to drain the tank before I got too far.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

How’s the engine

Grand he didn't drive it far before it started spluttering. Got it towed away and drained .

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    I had a dream last night that a polar bear miraculously appeared on the small lake that shores some of our land. This was no ordinary polar bear - he was clever enough to bring his own iceberg to cool down. The rest of the dream was us panicking trying to extend the fence posts so we could run more strands of electric fence wire to keep him out.

I woke up at six this morning, drew back the curtains, looked down at the lake and smiled to myself. I went outside to check on one of the cull cows that had sprung up like a balloon yesterday and she wasn't in good shape. She was lying down with her head in the hedge and no sign of a calf. I gave her a bottle of calcium and magnesium under the skin and OH phoned the Vet. A young Vet arrived within the hour and OH and I both looked uncertainly at one another. We couldn't have been more mistaken with this young Vet, he was super. He examined the cow, confirmed it was milk fever and jacked out a live angus heifer calf. He then went about treating the cow and IMO did all that he could do and more. 15 minutes after he left the cow was up allbeit a bit wobbly but we got the calf sucked. I phoned the practice to ask them to let him know cause he was genuinely interested on how she progressed. She is currently in a small paddock with the calf and she grazed a little on and off this afternoon. Hopefully she will continue to improve.

How's the cow and calf. Do you find much work with the sucklers, compared to rearing calves?

Advertisement