Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

straight wrote: »
    he couldn't understand how green diesel was called green because its far from it.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Darkenss into Light:
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/reach-out-for-help-urges-paddys-family-on-eve-of-darkness-into-light/

A time to think of rural people who are under stress and isolated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    How's the cow and calf. Do you find much work with the sucklers, compared to rearing calves?
    The calf is fine but the cow isn't as good as she was. She is nipping grass but stopped drinking. OH got the Vet earlier and he gave her another IV fluids. She is in the garden at the moment cause the grass is long as I didn't cut it to let bees make use of the dandelions. She is a friesian cow that was the last of the 7 that turned out to be in calf. We got 1 fresian bull, 3 whiteheads (1b,2h) and 3 angus (2b, 1h). I noticed another one springing up the other day. We didn't scan since OH broke his collar bone.
    The sucklers were great with little or no issues calving, most of them are sold with their calves at foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

:rolleyes: no but my dad filled his jeep with petrol a week or so ago. Didn't get far

Our rule here is who ever puts the wrong diesel into the car or jeep is the one who has to suck the pipe to get it back out...... rarely someone has done it twice ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Our rule here is who ever puts the wrong diesel into the car or jeep is the one who has to suck the pipe to get it back out...... rarely someone has done it twice ;)

use a longer pipe and fill it with water..... that'll start it flowing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,553 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Anyone doing darkness into light in the morning? I donated there in case the weather is bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Anyone doing darkness into light in the morning? I donated there in case the weather is bad

On the road for 5 does that count i wonder? Never attended an event for it before but will look into it bext year.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Are Pieta another of the charities that were taking the piss?

Are Pieta another of the charities that were taking the piss?

Pieta and the samaritans were very helpful when we had issues with my sister. Would always donate to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Pieta and the samaritans were very helpful when we had issues with my sister. Would always donate to them.

Not disputing that they do a lot of good. Was just wondering where they caught up as one of the charities that were acting the maggot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Odelay

Not disputing that they do a lot of good. Was just wondering where they caught up as one of the charities that were acting the maggot.

Not that I'm aware of. Some bad apples, but the barrel isn't always affected.

Console was the one that was caught big time in 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Cool Hand Lucy

I’m doing it and will be thinking of a good friend every second of the journey.

Have to give credit to JFC Agri, I tweeted about a replacement bung for very old drinkers and 3 minutes later, late on a Friday night they've replied to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Have to give credit to JFC Agri, I tweeted about a replacement bung for very old drinkers and 3 minutes later, late on a Friday night they've replied to me!

I noticed that. Fair play to them.

Console was the one that was caught big time in 2017

pietas directors all on massive salaries. I have donated to them a lot in the past and ran a 5k everyday in november for sponsorship for them last year but wont be donating to them again. No point in me running around the roads of kildare like an eejit for them to be paying it out in directors wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I was going to reply, use some whittled timber to fit.
    Don't have to now.:D

I was going to reply, use some whittled timber to fit.
    Don't have to now.:D

I'm hoping *they* don't reply with that :D

Thinking back actually, it wouldn't be the first time for one of them. But it leaked, so a bit of a feed bag was put around the timber bung to rectify that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

What you are experiencing is "That won't work here!" syndrome, do not be concerned, this is normal.

Does he need to figure out if he's gabe brown's neighbour too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Ah wrangler. You've your own posting style. Don't forget you're the one that brought good and bad farmers into this.
    And then it got tumbled around back and forth and you post to get reaction by calling things names you don't understand.

All I did was call the farmer featured an exemplary example of what we should all be looking to follow.
    Reduced fertilizer, reduced sprays, bringing biological inputs into the system, improving soil health and carbon sequestration.

You responded by calling it snake oil. Purely because it's alien to you. That 'good' farmers are not taking this up.
    I think mostly what grates with you is we've polar opposite ideals of what we think of a 'good' farmer.

With the changing landscape and changing rules and regulations down the line maybe you should give those books a read.
    Just to understand.
    Ya know what they say about hurlers on the ditch?

It's like why would you not want too many trees in the hedgerow one a corn field depending on the aspect and direction that you were disparaging about the other week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    pietas directors all on massive salaries. I have donated to them a lot in the past and ran a 5k everyday in november for sponsorship for them last year but wont be donating to them again. No point in me running around the roads of kildare like an eejit for them to be paying it out in directors wages.

I give nothing to charity now, can't depend on them.
    I've had experience of someone contacting Pieta and they didn't impress me .
    But then I only got my information secondhand.
    Same person contacted IFA and Farm Centre referred them onto me.
    They obviously couldn't cope but what could I do if Pieta weren't helpful

Like the Civil Service say when they don't want to do something
    ''IT WAS OUTSIDE MY PAY GRADE ANYWAY''

• Registered Users Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Ya know what they say about hurlers on the ditch?

It's like why would you not want too many trees in the hedgerow one a corn field depending on the aspect and direction that you were disparaging about the other week.
    Now what have you got against Tom Tierney?

I don't really understand that message.

Read my first message applauding him and the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I’ve a relative wiring as a counsellor in pieta house. She had been with console until their services were absorbed.

It has to be the most stressful job I have ever seen. Trying to help with limited resources. The likes of their services shouldn’t be a charity, it should be a government organisation.

If they counted the mental health related deaths through suicide etc in the same way they counted the Covid deaths, it would officially be a pandemic in this country.

From my experience, The mental state of the youth has declined in the last year and if it isn’t tackled, there could be major issues in the future and the likes of pieta will be needed even more,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I read some report a good while ago, and I think it said the Chernobyl Children’s charity with Adi Roche was the one with the least wages. Not sure she took much of a wage out of it at all...

I read some report a good while ago, and I think it said the Chernobyl Children’s charity with Adi Roche was the one with the least wages. Not sure she took much of a wage out of it at all...

Ive no issue with someone working for a charity being paid but i dont think it should be above the standard industrial wage.

Ive no issue with someone working for a charity being paid but i dont think it should be above the standard industrial wage.

Agreed they need to be paid but not crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’m a bit torn on this in fairness.

What does the average Joe/Josephine do who gets paid the average industrial wage ?? I’ve worked extensively in industry and I can tell you they have no responsibility other than turn up and push buttons go home and forget about it.
    Contrast that with CEO of say Pieta House, they run an organisation that gets no state funding yet provides a service that without a shred of doubt saves tens perhaps hundreds of lives a year, not to mention the lives they return some semblance of normality to who otherwise would be miserable. I don’t think it’s really fair to say they don’t deserve a decent wage for the responsibility and outcomes they are producing.

For clarity I have no link to this organisation, I’ve never done darkness into light and I don’t think I’ve even given to the charity. I do interact with a smaller similar group called SODAD though and am familiar with their work which is equally essential in our society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

Agreed they need to be paid but not crazy stuff.

Something in line with an equivalent position in a non charity setting? Maybe based on the number of employees.
    I know of one very prominent employee in a charity that left a previous managers job under a huge cloud. His wages were rumoured to be getting paid twice every month. Needless to say that I don't donate to that charity.

Advertisement