Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Do these people think they're not going to get caught out?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

whelan2 wrote: »
    Do these people think they're not going to get caught out?

From my experience in IFA, all it takes is a few people in the circle keeping everyone else ignorant while giving the appear of being honest.
    IFA gave a big donation to Pieta circa 2013, I could never find out how much or why Pieta, it stank. That IFA fiasco was never properly investigated .
    Employees pensions changed from defined benefit pension to defined contribution. How much were the employees paid to agree to that. It's when you realise that the finance commitee/national treasurer weren't doing their job that all these questions arise.
    Someonse had to defend these payments to two sets of well paid auditors, we didn't know we had such talent in our midst

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Just looking for a bit of advice here.
    I've got myself a jeep for farm work, take the pressure off the cars. It's a 95 trooper. Had a go at some quotes this morning and no one would quote me because of age. I tried chill and quote devil and won't quote. Fbd, axa, aa and an post said the 'commercial team' won't be in till monday but I feel it will result in the same outcome.
    I've seen plenty of old jeeps around the mart and there is a fella has a 95 trooper around the place as well. I presuming they are insured on a farm policy? Would this be the best route to go?
    Currently have no farm insurance or never had commercial insurance either.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭148multi

MeTheMan wrote: »
    I've got myself a jeep for farm work, take the pressure off the cars. It's a 95 trooper. Had a go at some quotes this morning and no one would quote me because of age. I tried chill and quote devil and won't quote. Fbd, axa, aa and an post said the 'commercial team' won't be in till monday but I feel it will result in the same outcome.
    I've seen plenty of old jeeps around the mart and there is a fella has a 95 trooper around the place as well. I presuming they are insured on a farm policy? Would this be the best route to go?
    Thanks.

Is there a valid cvrt on it

148multi wrote: »
    Is there a valid cvrt on it

Ya, cvrt till August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Odelay

Who is the farm policy with? Ask them to add it to that policy.

Odelay wrote: »
    Who is the farm policy with? Ask them to add it to that policy.

We don't have a farm policy. Would it be best to go down this route? Wouldn't mind having a farm policy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭148multi

Ya, cvrt till August.

Check out some of the Malta and Gibraltar regulated insurance companies.

Thanks.
    What age are you?

What age are you?

Dad will be main driver 68 and I'm. 30..by age I mean age of the jeep. Not my age..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭straight

Dad will be main driver 68 and I'm. 30..by age I mean age of the jeep. Not my age..

I know they have cut down on insuring older vehicles. Could you try the likes of campion insurance who do vintage insurance etc?

I know they have cut down on insuring older vehicles. Could you try the likes of campion insurance who do vintage insurance etc?

Ya it's very tempting. It would work out cheaper as well. But it's not technically covered for business use then. I'll price a few farm policy's and see the costs. Never had farm insurance before so have no idea how much it would be. A friend I was talking to there said he added a jeep to his for 200 extra. I'll ring around Monday.

What is Gibraltar regulated insurers.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭trg

Quick question folks, with ration prices increasing I was wondering about buying in bulk as opposed to 25kg bags, anyone know what the lifetime is on concentrates?

Last bag I was getting in co-op was passed its expiry date!

trg wrote: »
    Quick question folks, with ration prices increasing I was wondering about buying in bulk as opposed to 25kg bags, anyone know what the lifetime is on concentrates?

Am I wrong in thinking it's to be used within 90 days of manufacture?

Vintage insurance is over 30year old, restricted mileage, not pulling trailer etc
    So FBD told me.
    It's really only insurance for vintage runs and shows, I was quoted €200 with those conditions but you had to have other vehicles with them as well

Am I wrong in thinking it's to be used within 90 days of manufacture?

That's right, it's usually written on the labels

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

trg wrote: »

AFAIK its 3 months. We buy bulk weanling ration and the docket always states the expiry date for that batch number (but doesn't show the manufacturing date). I always check in the office before to make sure that we are getting at least 1 month before the expiry date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭green daries

Farm policy and put it on that fbd will do jeeps separately even older ones have ye not even public liability insurance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Now what have you got against Tom Tierney?

I don't really understand that message.

Read my first message applauding him and the article.

I never mentioned Tom, did I?
    I asked you to explain in a simple sentence why rows of high trees around a field can be a bad idea, especially in Ireland. If your going to throw mud atleast know why it's done rather than demonstrate why a little knowledge of something is a dangerous thing.
    What would be normal practice to grow a Bread wheat, getting it past a Don and Zon?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I asked you to explain in a simple sentence why rows of high trees around a field can be a bad idea, especially in Ireland. If your going to throw mud atleast know why it's done rather than demonstrate why a little knowledge of something is a dangerous thing.
    What would be normal practice to grow a Bread wheat, getting it past a Don and Zon?
    You're losing me altogether now.

What has a row of trees got to do with the article about T.Tierney?

But I think I know why you're sore.
    The land next door that was reclaimed and the ditches and land cleared wasn't done by a tillage farmer. Nor did I ever post it was by.
    You may go back on the jungle drums to find who though..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Why high trees bad Waffle?

You're losing me altogether now.

What has a row of trees got to do with the article about T.Tierney?

But I think I know why you're sore.
    The land next door that was reclaimed and the ditches and land cleared wasn't done by a tillage farmer. Nor did I ever post it was by.
    You may go back on the jungle drums to find who though..;)

I know of who it was, another dairy farmer half a mile over the road. Would they be able to walk the cows over or will the 3 neighbours have a ransom strip issue to solve? They must have got sorted with the previous attempted buyer issue to get it over the line. Unless i'm completely wrong and the poor man bought the lot rather than 3 fields at the gaa pitch.
    From the road you'd wouldnt have thought there was as much ground down behind the treatment plant. I hope your curiosity is satisfied. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I know of who it was, another dairy farmer half a mile over the road. Would they be able to walk the cows over or will the 3 neighbours have a ransom strip issue to solve? They must have got sorted with the previous attempted buyer issue to get it over the line. Unless i'm completely wrong and the poor man bought the lot rather than 3 fields at the gaa pitch.
    From the road you'd wouldnt have thought there was as much ground down behind the treatment plant. I hope your curiosity is satisfied. :pac:

Ah sure you have it all. :D

That treatment plant I wouldn't mind having a wander behind. You'd often see the stream below a bit sudy.

Ah sure you have it all. :D

That treatment plant I wouldn't mind having a wander behind. You'd often see the stream below a bit sudy.

https://attocloud.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/image_c0042a61-37ad-43df-a722-a2016df0dccf20170609_2126161.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Just in bed there around 9:30 and a neighbour phoned. He had a calf down in a wet field and asked for me to bring the 4WD. Took some persuading to get him to bring the calf to the shed. He wanted to just get the vet deal with him at the gap.

Calf has a temp of 40C and very bloated. He has no energy at all and very dehydrated.

Same neighbour is backward and has a lot of woe with cattle. Has a new set of cows every year. Sections, red water. Only has 30 bad acres and has 8 cows. Won’t keep a calf order than 5 months. Pays premium for cows and gets pennies for the calves.if this calf dies, it will be the 4th animal lost in that field in 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Just in bed there around 9:30 and a neighbour phoned. He had a calf down in a wet field and asked for me to bring the 4WD. Took some persuading to get him to bring the calf to the shed. He wanted to just get the vet deal with him at the gap.

Calf has a temp of 40C and very bloated. He has no energy at all and very dehydrated.

Same neighbour is backward and has a lot of woe with cattle. Has a new set of cows every year. Sections, red water. Only has 30 bad acres and has 8 cows. Won’t keep a calf order than 5 months. Pays premium for cows and gets pennies for the calves.if this calf dies, it will be the 4th animal lost in that field in 3 years.

There’s lads like this out there.
    Fella that works for me is similar. Every week it’s a calamity about some cow down, weanling lost, calves lost or something, sells weanlings for €5-600. He’s a hard grafter no doubt but nothing ever seems to go right.

Used to have a neighbour the same , would never bring a ewe here to be lambed but insisted on me going to the field, eventually told him to f off when I came home from a meeting to find my OH drowned after lambing a ewe for him and she not long out of hospital after a serious operation, He had his own jeep yet was too lazy to load her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

wrangler wrote: »
    Used to have a neighbour the same , would never bring a ewe here to be lambed but insisted on me going to the field, eventually told him to f off when I came home from a meeting to find my OH drowned after lambing a ewe for him and she not long out of hospital after a serious operation, He had his own jeep yet was too lazy to load her

Well the vet told him he wouldn’t be going down the field in the dark treating a calf surrounded by cattle.

Advertisement