Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Well the vet told him he wouldn’t be going down the field in the dark treating a calf surrounded by cattle.

And the vet was right, Isaw my neighbour making a vet walk 3-400 yds to a ewe as well, that was bad enough but the poor vet had to walk back to the van for something as well. I was ploughing next door and I thought it unbelievable that some farmers could be so thought less. He was probably lying off waiting for the vet instead of getting the ewe into a shed. he would've treated the vet the very same had it been spilling rain. The likes of those don't deserve help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

wrangler wrote: »
    And the vet was right, Isaw my neighbour making a vet walk 3-400 yds to a ewe as well, that was bad enough but the poor vet had to walk back to the van for something as well. I was ploughing next door and I thought it unbelievable that some farmers could be so thought less. He was probably lying off waiting for the vet instead of getting the ewe into a shed. he would've treated the vet the very same had it been spilling rain. The likes of those don't deserve help

Twas definitely 500 yards and there was no walking back and forth as the place was pure muck. The vet has given out to him before about always buying in as he has red water in the area and the vet would be a cool enough man.

And my neighbour isn’t the worst in the parish. I definitely couldn’t be a vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

I think as a vet in a situation like that you need to make it clear it isn’t on after it has happened maybe twice.....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Had a run in here with our vet during the week. There's 2 sides though and he was taking the piss. We had a few words cleared the air and all good to go again for another while. He was very happy as when he opened the cow it was a one in a million case and he'll probably never see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

A wet and windy may fills the yard with hay and corn. At this rate we should be overflowing come the time:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    A wet and windy may fills the yard with hay and corn. At this rate we should be overflowing come the time:D

Great turn around this 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

https://fb.watch/5o3yI1Usif/

I wonder how this is going fo be solved and will it ever get as bad over here?

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

https://fb.watch/5o3yI1Usif/

I wonder how this is going fo be solved and will it ever get as bad over here?

No there's some disease or virus as well as mixo controlling numbers here.
    Rabbits are scarce actually here on farm.
    Whenever the numbers do build up though this thing or mixo wipes them out for another good few years.

Rabbits being rabbits don't do social distancing..

No there's some disease or virus as well as mixo controlling numbers here.
    Rabbits are scarce actually here on farm.
    Whenever the numbers do build up though this thing or mixo wipes them out for another good few years.

Rabbits being rabbits don't do social distancing..

Noticed that myself here too its peaks and troughs in what short time ive been around here too. Its strange the way they havent introduced the other variant over there, the ABC has a great podcast on the invasion of rabbits over there on the listen back site.
    No doubt a few vegans/greenies will get upset over it over there before they realise they are an introduced/invasive species however i heard a fella say the biggest invasive species out that side was the white man and he isnt going away yet out there.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Noticed that myself here too its peaks and troughs in what short time ive been around here too. Its strange the way they havent introduced the other variant over there, the ABC has a great podcast on the invasion of rabbits over there on the listen back site.
    No doubt a few vegans/greenies will get upset over it over there before they realise they are an introduced/invasive species however i heard a fella say the biggest invasive species out that side was the white man and he isnt going away yet out there.

Mexie and rabbits is an interesting subject...

I think I read that once upon a time the income made from rabbits was as much as the income from dairy, on a national scale.
    I know the grandfather here used to talk about money being made from snaring rabbits and them being sold to England and it being a good money spinner...

The origins of who introduced mexie into the country is something I must check. I have it in my head that it was a small few who wanted it, and did so illegally. The overall country didn’t, as rabbits were a source of food and income...

I must see if I can dig up where I got that info...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I think I read that once upon a time the income made from rabbits was as much as the income from dairy, on a national scale.
    I know the grandfather here used to talk about money being made from snaring rabbits and them being sold to England and it being a good money spinner...

The origins of who introduced mexie into the country is something I must check. I have it in my head that it was a small few who wanted it, and did so illegally. The overall country didn’t, as rabbits were a source of food and income...

Are there many places in the country where rabbits are plentiful now I wonder. There's none here at home but 3 miles down the road around the sand dunes is infested with them, I couldn't even take a guess as to what amount of them is down there. Burrows everywhere, I suppose its easy digging for them. Seen at least a hundred of them in a neighbours 3 acre meadow this evening that he has closed for silage. Often wondered how they never spread out a bit considering the amount of them there is in a relatively small area.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

My father when he was young, pre myxo, made a share of money catching rabbits and selling them. Certain fields were favored by the rabbits. Sunny dry banks. He used say that especially in the evenings that the field would be brown like it was ploughed and if something disturbed them, the whole surface of the field appeared to move.
    Such were the numbers that they wouldn't even flee underground if disturbed by a dog. The dog would take one and the others didn't really care. Fields like this were very unproductive. When myxo came it was welcomed by the land owners but not by the people making a living selling rabbit skins. Some of the fields stank for weeks afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭sonnybill

No rabbits here but serious hare numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

sonnybill wrote: »

The barbers and salons are opening today...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Imagine heading back to work after being off since before Christmas

As far as i can recall Louis Pasteur was stranded in Sydney and was working on a vaccine or treatment for csttle and in turn ended up realising the effects of myxo on the rabbits while he was at it.

Better living everyone

Rabbits all gone from around here. Used to be some on my land decades ago, vanished, used to be loads on the local beach commonages, all gone too. Presume it was disease as we used to shoot them but that hardly even made a dent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I remember the place full of rabbits when I was young. They seem to be replaced with foxes now. Our lower land near the Shannon is full of hares, but haven't seen a rabbit in a long time.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I remember the place full of rabbits when I was young. They seem to be replaced with foxes now. Our lower land near the Shannon is full of hares, but haven't seen a rabbit in a long time.

Our place at home is full of rabbits, and always was. When I was young, there was marmalade and black rabbits. Which I was told is a sign of inbreeding in the rabbit population?

We have rabbits where I am now, but not to the same extent. Used to have hares years ago, but they're gone now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Havent seen rabbits around here now in the past 10 years. Too many foxes i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Loads of rabbits here. There's one ditch in particular that must be close to collapse with all the burrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

See a couple of hares every year, rabbits is feast or famine, plenty fat foxes around so they must eating something

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

My great grandfather used to spend every Sunday out catching rabbits. Sunday was his day of rest and that's what he did to pass the time. He'd catch 50/60 and he'd hang them in the shed overnight. Next morning (Monday) bright and early a man from Nenagh made a weekly trip to Dublin. His job was to collect the caught rabbits all along the road. He could have thousands of rabbits in the back of the lorry by time he reached Dublin. Up there they were sold on but I don't recall to who and for what.

When I was young the headlands of our fields would be grazed bare from rabbits. Don't see that happening anymore. I assume numbers have dwindled and don't know why.

Speaking of my great grandfather - he was a hardy buck. He milked cows and grew beet and veg. Standard fare for the time. He'd about 20 acres. He made extra cash working for the council and his biggest job is still in use today. In the morning after the farm work he'd cycle up the Slieve Blooms and begin breaking rock to create a track through the top of the mountain for a road. Himself and another man spent months at that. In the evening, cycle home and do the farm work again.

https://www.coillte.ie/site/the-cut/
    https://goo.gl/maps/YEuZyjm5VpHyxdLN8

My great grandfather used to spend every Sunday out catching rabbits. Sunday was his day of rest and that's what he did to pass the time. He'd catch 50/60 and he'd hang them in the shed overnight. Next morning (Monday) bright and early a man from Nenagh made a weekly trip to Dublin. His job was to collect the caught rabbits all along the road. He could have thousands of rabbits in the back of the lorry by time he reached Dublin. Up there they were sold on but I don't recall to who and for what.

When I was young the headlands of our fields would be grazed bare from rabbits. Don't see that happening anymore. I assume numbers have dwindled and don't know why.

Speaking of my great grandfather - he was a hardy buck. He milked cows and grew beet and veg. Standard fare for the time. He'd about 20 acres. He made extra cash working for the council and his biggest job is still in use today. In the morning after the farm work he'd cycle up the Slieve Blooms and begin breaking rock to create a track through the top of the mountain for a road. Himself and another man spent months at that. In the evening, cycle home and do the farm work again.

Did he catch them with a ferret or shoot them?. There was 10 in my mothers family so the older lads used to hunt a lot of rabbits.

The grandfather here used to do something similar, am sure many did - breaking rocks for the council as they were putting in roads around his place at the time, and got paid per butt-load of hardcore... Sounded like tough work, but he said it paid, and money was scarce...

This is all I could find on what I was thinking on myxo, I thought I read an article with more detail but I couldn't find it...
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/a-furry-good-history-of-the-wild-irish-rabbit-1.2924454

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Did he catch them with a ferret or shoot them?. There was 10 in my mothers family so the older lads used to hunt a lot of rabbits.

Caught them. I'll have to ask the father how he did it. Wasn't shooting them anyway. I think he had snares setup around the place

Just on the introduction my father told me that he reckons it was introduced in the airport to keep rabbits off the runways.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

sonnybill wrote: »

Same on my place in North Mayo - the only place with rabbits in Erris are the sand dunes

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Same on my place in North Mayo - the only place with rabbits in Erris are the sand dunes

Theres loads of rabbits around the town in belmullet especially the industrial estate and saw some the last time i was at erris head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

Loads of rabbits here in our field. Love having them there think they are a beautiful creature. Newish triplet baby’s quite close to the house. Mad how some areas have loads of them and then other places have none

Advertisement